PDA

View Full Version : Essex Ancestors

Sue from Southend
01-10-11, 08:08
Now going live 17 October (unless they change their minds again)

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

Runs away from Kite as bearer of bad news ;(

kiterunner
01-10-11, 09:18
Boo!

Sue from Southend
14-10-11, 07:50
Now it's the 24th!! :mad:

I think they've made a big mistake announcing the launch in advance - it's just making them look silly now. A big announcment on the day it actually happened (as per Ancestry) would have been better.

kiterunner
14-10-11, 08:57
Nooooo!!! Every time I start to think it's really launching soon, this happens.

kiterunner
20-10-11, 22:46
Now it says they will be launching it "shortly". Does that mean they're still on track for Monday, I wonder?

Sue from Southend
21-10-11, 08:00
Probably not, Kate! They've realised the error of their ways and have stopped making promises that they can't keep. Of course that could be just a cynical employee of Essex County Council talking and we will be spending Monday trawling through Parish Registers as hoped!!

kiterunner
21-10-11, 09:02
I hope it launches on Monday, because I need it for this week's TO4G!

Sue from Southend
21-10-11, 15:14
I could probably do OH's T04GG if they do launch - in fact I could probably get half of his tree back several more generations!!

Nell
22-10-11, 22:19
"Shortly" could mean anything. I wish they'd got it sorted before they got us all excited. Apart from my Smoothys (I'm sure you remember them!) ex has ancestors from Colchester and if I could find the right marriage and baptisms I'd be able to go further back and also forward in my research.

kiterunner
24-10-11, 12:23
Well, it hasn't launched yet.

Sue from Southend
24-10-11, 13:04
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kiterunner
01-11-11, 09:32
The bit about the searchroom being closed for stocktaking from 28th Nov to 10th Dec is now above the bit about Essex Ancestors being launched "shortly". I hope that isn't an indication that the launch is going to be in December!

HarrysMum
01-11-11, 19:05
I've waited so long to find anything on my Essex lot, it probably doesn't matter......lol

maggie_4_7
01-11-11, 19:14
errrr its getting frustrating now, its my OH's lot 50% of his family orginated in the villages of Essex.

Jenoco
02-11-11, 00:55
Are they making new stuff available then? You can already search many documents / parish registers (including court records) but at the moment it's free. They also seem to have added new records from when I first started searching so I'm not sure what the advantage of the launch is.

kiterunner
02-11-11, 07:10
I thought the idea was that they were making all the PR's available online, not just the ones they have at the moment, which are mostly early ones, plus other stuff such as wills, but we will have to pay to use it.

Jenoco
03-11-11, 00:12
Thanks Kite, that's good news then. I'd certainly like to see some of the later PRs.

Sue from Southend
04-11-11, 17:19
It would appear to have launched!

There is a post on RootsChat that says he paid his money but it wasn't working - hopefully just demand!

Lindsay
04-11-11, 17:33
Thanks Sue - off to have a look! :D:D

kiterunner
04-11-11, 17:50
Thanks, Sue! Typical - I checked it first thing every day except today! Somehow I assumed they wouldn't launch it on a Friday. I'll update the title of this thread. I would say, straight off to have a look, but I'd just promised OH to look up something for his tree, and that's Lancashire... but I shall get that done quick and get to Essex.

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 18:13
Hoooray :)

WendyPusey
04-11-11, 18:17
Can you do a name search of the Parish Registers before you buy a subscription? My Weeley Margerums don't appear anywhere when I search, so I don't want to waste money on a subscription if I can't see names first.

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 18:26
Can you do a name search of the Parish Registers before you buy a subscription? My Weeley Margerums don't appear anywhere when I search, so I don't want to waste money on a subscription if I can't see names first.

I must admit I can't find anywhere other than this original search box that I have used but I don't know if they have all the images of the results!

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.asp?SearchDocs=3&SearchType=11

Someone might have found a better search function its a bit unwealdy as a site to be honest.

Edit: you might want to read this thread before doing anything

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12320

Just in case people come here they will miss that information.

kiterunner
04-11-11, 18:30
It doesn't look like it, Wendy. I was expecting the whole site to be replaced with a shiny new all-singing all-dancing state-of-the-art 21st century-type site, but as far as I can see, all they've done is add more images (well, o.k., including some wills, which I think you can search by name if I ever find where to do it) and make us pay to view them, even the ones that were free before? And it doesn't even show which images are available on the main list! It reminds me of using 1837 online in its very early days, or or Stepping Stones, , or another site whose name escapes me but was something to do with Genealogy, the one that used to have the Index to Death Duty Registers before findmypast took them over.

What's more - I tried to register and it said there was already a user with my email address, so I must have registered before, so how come I haven't had an email to say it's launched?

kiterunner
04-11-11, 18:32
Yikes, I've just seen the prices!

Length of subscription Price
1 Day (24 hours) £5.00
1 Week (7 days) £15.00
1 month (30 days) £25.00
6 months (182 days) £50.00
1 year (365 days) £75.00

That's outrageous!

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 18:33
It doesn't look like it, Wendy. I was expecting the whole site to be replaced with a shiny new all-singing all-dancing state-of-the-art 21st century-type site, but as far as I can see, all they've done is add more images (well, o.k., including some wills, which I think you can search by name if I ever find where to do it) and make us pay to view them, even the ones that were free before? And it doesn't even show which images are available on the main list! It reminds me of using 1837 online in its very early days, or or Stepping Stones, , or another site whose name escapes me but was something to do with Genealogy, the one that used to have the Index to Death Duty Registers before findmypast took them over.

What's more - I tried to register and it said there was already a user with my email address, so I must have registered before, so how come I haven't had an email to say it's launched?

Its run by the council what do you expect.

I had the same message I had obviously registered before and forgot because you don't need to log in to search :rolleyes:

Sue from Southend
04-11-11, 18:35
I've registered (years ago apparently!) but don't have a sub as yet and just went round in circles - not sure if thats because I don't have a sub or it's a glitch.

Have you seen my thread on general? not all the registers are included yet - Weeley registers after 1837 aren't available yet.

kiterunner
04-11-11, 18:42
I'm mostly interested in pre-1837 stuff anyway, Sue. I've managed to subscribe and now it keeps telling me I haven't got cookies enabled so I can't view anything! I'm sure cookies must be enabled or nothing else I go on would work, so I'll try some other browsers. It'll be really annoying if I have to email them for help and wait till next week for a reply.

suffolksue
04-11-11, 18:45
One lady on Rootschat has paid a sub and says its not working.:eek::eek:

kiterunner
04-11-11, 18:50
Oh, I tell a lie - I can view the images but only so tiny that I can't make anything out! If I click to enlarge them, that's when I get the message about cookies. On two browsers so far...

Sue from Southend
04-11-11, 19:00
Sounds like a complete shambles!

Lincolnshire offer a simliar service, browsable digitised unindexed registers but for free and it works!

I'm trying to find out if there will be free access in Essex Libraries but no one seems to know (bear in mind I work for Essex Libraries!)

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 19:01
I just posted this message on the other thread
Be careful the enhanced viewer does not work for me so the images are useless because you can't see them I can't see a search function other than for each parish and then the church but you then have to browse each register but you can't see the images because of the enhanced viewer not working!

I have sent them a terse email...

WendyPusey
04-11-11, 19:03
I don't think I'll bother then.

suffolksue
04-11-11, 19:07
think I'll wait a few days.....................

kiterunner
04-11-11, 19:13
Sounds like a complete shambles!

Lincolnshire offer a simliar service, browsable digitised unindexed registers but for free and it works!

Funnily enough, Lincs to the Past is another of my unfavourite sites because it's so user-unfriendly, but at least you do get to view the images on there eventually.

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 19:15
think I'll wait a few days.....................

Wise move :)

kiterunner
04-11-11, 19:18
I've emailed them but I haven't got one of those automatic replies, so I can only hope my email has reached them. I asked if they would extend subs to make up for it not working.

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 19:23
I've emailed them but I haven't got one of those automatic replies, so I can only hope my email has reached them. I asked if they would extend subs to make up for it not working.

I asked the same question after my rant about the viewer not working ;(

suffolksue
04-11-11, 19:28
I asked the same question after my rant about the viewer not working ;(

Pretty poor show if they don't.;(;(

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 20:27
Well its always the same isn't it really the web developer probably went home this afternoon and was very proud of their xforms and enhanced viewer programs they've uploaded and built into the site without changing the search functionality or the look and user experience of the website, and obviously didn't do enough testing to see if the enhanced viewer actually works (with most browsers or cookie functions (the message about cookies is rubbish by the way), which you usually do when asking people to pay for something, and other stuff but on top of that it doesn't work in any shape or form.

Well hopefully they'll come in on Monday to find some very disgruntled emails of people that were hoping for a little bit more for their money and their world of smugness in the world of HTML program compatibilities will be shattered.

:D :D :D

Edit to say: What's really frustrating is its all there but we can't see it I am even happy at this stage to browse but I CAN'T SEE THE IMAGES and I can't search for any in a concise and simple way to get the results that mean something either but even if I did I can't see the images and they're not good enough quality to download and enhance yourself which I've tried even if I did know which images to save grrrrrrr ...

kiterunner
04-11-11, 22:50
I would swear that they used to have digital images for the early PR's for Leyton parish, because I kept going back to look and see how far forward they had got with it, but now they say they don't hold the PR's for that parish and so they can't make digital images available for it, although they have microfiches of those PR's.

Janet
05-11-11, 00:45
Well its always the same isn't it really the web developer probably went home this afternoon and was very proud of their xforms and enhanced viewer programs they've uploaded and built into the site without changing the search functionality or the look and user experience of the website, and obviously didn't do enough testing to see if the enhanced viewer actually works (with most browsers or cookie functions (the message about cookies is rubbish by the way), which you usually do when asking people to pay for something, and other stuff but on top of that it doesn't work in any shape or form.

Well hopefully they'll come in on Monday to find some very disgruntled emails of people that were hoping for a little bit more for their money and their world of smugness in the world of HTML program compatibilities will be shattered.

:D :D :D

Maggie, please don't forget that the web developer has to play by the boss's rules. ;(

It happens all the time that the poor programmers are agonized in the knowledge that the work needs further testing before being put into production, but are told to close their eyes and go. And that said, it's also true that software systems are unimaginably complicated, and even when you do finish all the testing you can never really predict exactly what's going to happen when you release the changes in the real world, because your test environment can never truly replicate that.

But I suspect in this case, since they are charging for something that used to be free, that the rush to mediocrity can most likely be traced to a source much higher up than the lowly web developer...

Jenoco
05-11-11, 01:47
Think I'll wait until it's all sorted. Seems odd to launch it on a Friday.

maggie_4_7
05-11-11, 07:39
Maggie, please don't forget that the web developer has to play by the boss's rules. ;(

It happens all the time that the poor programmers are agonized in the knowledge that the work needs further testing before being put into production, but are told to close their eyes and go. And that said, it's also true that software systems are unimaginably complicated, and even when you do finish all the testing you can never really predict exactly what's going to happen when you release the changes in the real world, because your test environment can never truly replicate that.

But I suspect in this case, since they are charging for something that used to be free, that the rush to mediocrity can most likely be traced to a source much higher up than the lowly web developer...

Possibly but in my experience of web developing the bosses don't get down to that level to be honest. The project is entirely in the hands of the hands on people who are trained rather than the management.

But we are dealing with a 'council' here so I expect the organisation is a bit different to private companies.

The functionality of the site is very unwealdy but it always has been.

kiterunner
05-11-11, 10:32
Ooooh, they seem to have fixed it!

kiterunner
05-11-11, 10:45
So, I've finally managed to look at the image of what I thought was my 4xg-grandparents' marriage entry, and it seems it isn't them after all. Back to square one...

Sue from Southend
05-11-11, 11:47
Well it's good news that it appears to be fixed - not such good news for you!

I assume that once you've bought a sub that how you view the images becomes more obvious? I still can't decide whether to try it for a day .... OH has so many Essex Ancestors there would be plenty of options open for me!

maggie_4_7
05-11-11, 12:19
Oh go for it its only £5 for 24 hours.

Going back to look myself I checked it about 11am today no change.

ElizabethHerts
05-11-11, 12:24
I'm very thankful I haven't got Essex ancestors.

maggie_4_7
05-11-11, 12:44
Yes it is fixed.

kiterunner
05-11-11, 14:27
Well it's good news that it appears to be fixed - not such good news for you!

Well, it's good that I know not to waste my time following the wrong line! If only FamilySearch didn't have stupid marriage transcriptions giving the groom's marital status as "married", I would have had a strong inkling from when I found it that it was the wrong marriage. I needed the groom to be a widower and it turns out it says bachelor. I wonder whether the FamilySearch is taken from something that doesn't give the marital status (e.g. BT's or an index) and they just put a random value in, or if they just got it (and a lot of other entries) wrong.

maggie_4_7
12-11-11, 12:05
Well I have managed to get back two more generations on one of OH's line on both sides and harvested quite a few baptisms and marriages to backup info I already had from someone but me being me like to see the evidence. They didn't have any documents to show me and said to me 'oh I'm sure that's right because so and so has had it on their tree for years'!!

But my god there's so many with the same names all intermarrying I know they're all connected but not sure how at the moment but if I saved all the images I'd not have enough room on my PC eventually.

Managed to get another two days subscription because of hassle last week so now I am on the trail of the other set of Lewseys who married the Clarks unfortunately the Cole side is a dead end I can't seem to find anything further back than what I already have for Thomas Cole born about 1800 Witham, Essex well I can't find a baptism but one of the church records only start in middle 1800s so I expect thats the one. Although I did find his marriage to Mary Beard and his children's baptisms so they are confirmed now too.

Bloody expensive though not if you can do it all in one week but obviously one can't usually but its still worth it if you have to travel long way or you can't travel that far at the moment.

I think I will send an email to them though about the charges and also the coverage and expectation just from a customer service point of view maybe they'll take it on board. I don't think people mind paying for things but it needs to be sensible in the charging structure.

kiterunner
12-11-11, 12:42
Glad to hear it was so useful for you, Maggie. I found a few things to confirm stuff I had in my tree and of course that one that proved my tree was wrong!

maggie_4_7
12-11-11, 12:52
Did it not put you on another or right track though?

It isn't a brilliant service though as you know. I wonder if as I said before with this FH explosion they might think it a cash cow to bolster their money for the council.

Most of OH's father's side came from the villages of Essex its been a bit of a blackhole to be honest (although I had info I'm always wary of it unless I see the proof) and I'm not averse to going to RO but sometimes its nice to be an armchair FH and do it in the comfort of your own PC. So I am grateful for that but it could be better to be honest.

I like the online thing (its nice to do the physical visiting which I have done) there are a lot of people that can't travel now and still want and have and interest also if you weigh up the consequential expenses of travelling sometimes its worth it to bite the bullet and subscribe.

kiterunner
12-11-11, 12:58
Did it not put you on another or right track though?

No. Maybe when they put the wills online. What I really need to do is look at the Leyton PR's but they're not covering those.

Kit
13-12-11, 00:57
So you have all had time to use it. Is it good and easy to use?

If you get a days sub you can search as much as you like?

Just a note for the nonEU people here. We get a slightly cheaper price as we don't have to pay the VAT.

kiterunner
16-12-11, 07:17
Good, yes. Easy to use, no. If you get a day's sub can you search as much as you like? Yes.

Kit
24-12-11, 04:23
Thanks Kate. Will have a look over the holidays.

Nell
27-01-13, 12:16
I've bitten the bullet and taken out a week's sub (just expired today) and trawled through the registers.

It's aggravating not to have an index - although some registers have an index at the back - and others at the front, just to be contrary - so a lot of trawling. I had to wait for each image to load, whereas looking on film is quicker. I found a
lot of what I wanted, but golly I wish they'd at least have provided a guide that said
Image 2 & 3 blank pages
Images 4-10 marriages 1730-1790
Images 11-23 baptisms 1730-1783

or something to give a clue to how much you need to trawl through. I suppose its cheaper than a trip to the records office, but its unwieldy when I'm used to the speed of Ancestry & FMP.

kiterunner
27-01-13, 13:11
Still waiting for the parishes in Waltham Forest Borough to be added - quite a few of mine are going to be in there.