PDA

View Full Version : Scotlands People Image vs Extract

WendyLF
30-09-11, 20:22
Can anyone tell me if I would get any further info by ordering an "extract" from the OPR's.
Reason being I found marriages but no reference to parents, i.e:
Thomas McFarlane married Margaret Scott on 18.11.1851 - reference as per search is Caputh.
His father, Daniel, married Margaret Scott 02.02.1830 reference as per search is Clunie, Perth - only other pertanent detail is Craigtown (helped with the census search at least).
I would really appreciate any assistance on how to trace their parents names - too many options with the methods I have tried to date, the fact that they married women with the same name does not help:(

Uncle John
30-09-11, 21:18
What's in the register depends on the individual minister or his session clerk. Sometimes the register contains minimal information and is just a way of recording fees paid. But it could record a lot more. You won't know until you purchase the image. Fortunately SP images are fairly inexpensive.

WendyLF
30-09-11, 21:28
I paid for the images but..........no details other than bride and groom on both occasions, so is it even worth while requesting the actual exctracts?

kiterunner
30-09-11, 21:52
As far as I know, the extract is just the same as the image - usually you would order an extract if the image is not available on the website.

kiterunner
30-09-11, 21:54
Some Scottish parish registers give the names of witnesses on baptisms, so I've found those useful in working out who the relatives were. Also you can look for wills on Scotland's People.

WendyLF
30-09-11, 21:58
The problem I have encountered is that the names are "common" both the first names as well as surnames so have not had too much luck there and I suppose as wills are new to me, will have to "fiddle" around until I understand how to get the info I am looking for tried once or twice but gave up.........my challenge for the week LOL

kiterunner
30-09-11, 22:16
Oh, the other thing that sometimes helps with Scottish families is the naming pattern - usually the first son is named after the father's father, first daughter after the mother's mother, second son after mother's father, second daughter after father's mother, and even if they didn't stick to it that closely, it helps suggest who the parents' parents might be so you have some possibles to check out.

WendyLF
30-09-11, 22:34
Kite, thanks a mil for the naming tip going to put this to pen and paper and see where I end up....brain by itself not going to work

maggie_4_7
01-10-11, 07:17
Unfortunately before 1855 in Scotland it would be very rare to have anything other than the names of the bride and groom and date of marriage and possibly say of this parish and a reference to place of abode but even that can be scant either village name or farm name.

The way I have found most parent of these marriages is to track the family forward and then find their deaths because the records after 1855 are much more detailed and has their parents names on of course this isn't fullproof because the people registering the death may have put the wrong names insomuch that they thought they were the parents.

Lindsay
01-10-11, 12:45
I've just paid for the image of a marriage nn Scotland's People (as recommended by Kiterunner in the last TOGG4 thread).

DEFINITELY worth it, as it not only confirmed the bride's name was wrongly transcribed by FamilySearch, but also told me the groom was a soldier in the Cambridge Militia, which I'd never have known otherwise.:)

Merry
01-10-11, 13:01
Lindsay, have you looked for an army record on FMP?

Lindsay
01-10-11, 13:35
Lindsay, have you looked for an army record on FMP?

No, I don't have a subscrition at the mo. :)

Would Militia records be included on there?

maggie_4_7
01-10-11, 13:43
I've just paid for the image of a marriage nn Scotland's People (as recommended by Kiterunner in the last TOGG4 thread).

DEFINITELY worth it, as it not only confirmed the bride's name was wrongly transcribed by FamilySearch, but also told me the groom was a soldier in the Cambridge Militia, which I'd never have known otherwise.:)

What year was that though?

After 1855 they do have a lot of information on but not before in my experience.

Lindsay
01-10-11, 14:43
That was 1812.

I suspect it depends on how much info the vicar put down - sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not. I didn't get parent's names (which is a shame!)

maggie_4_7
01-10-11, 14:45
That was 1812.

I suspect it depends on how much info the vicar put down - sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not. I didn't get parent's names (which is a shame!)

Yes I have found occupations on them very rarely parent's names.

Merry
01-10-11, 16:37
I looked through Lindsay's male ToG4 posts trying to work out who the ancestor was, to no avail. :o I got a 1790 army record which knocked down a small brick wall for me.

Lindsay
02-10-11, 07:05
I looked through Lindsay's male ToG4 posts trying to work out who the ancestor was, to no avail. :o I got a 1790 army record which knocked down a small brick wall for me.

lol! It's Hannah Kite (though her hubby was the one in the Cambridge militia, not her!)

Apologies to Wendy for leading her thread slightly off-topic. :)