PDA

View Full Version : Mary Harris nee ?? (Overton, Worc)

geniebug
30-09-11, 00:35
In another thread on here, it was suggested I get a death certificate for Mary Harris (which I did) - she died 26 of September 1843 aged 84 in Overbury Worc. widow of John Harris (Labourer).

In my records I had a copy of a Marriage notice, Mary Pearce to John Harris in 1790. I wonder how I can acknowledge that Mary Pearce is the same lady who died? Is there any way of proving it? The Marriage notice is hand written, and thats all it says - with crosses by their names.

Seems strange their daughter Elizabeth Harris was born abt 1800 in Conderton, Overbury 10 years later, unless there were other children I don't know of.

Merry
30-09-11, 06:01
I would be more worried that the marriage wasn't early enough and would want to prove that there were no siblings for Elizabeth before 1790! If I could find baptisms with the right parents names and they began in 1791 and finished wth Elizabeth or one more at a push I would be farly happy that's the right marriage. It's trickier with common names!

What's your source for the baptism?

Merry
30-09-11, 06:20
The probem is there's more than one marriage and it will probably be difficult to separate the children if there's more than one couple having children at the same time. There's this couple (groom could be the same man as yours of course!)

groom's name: John Harris
bride's name: Mary Gilbird
marriage date: 24 Jun 1799
marriage place: Overbury,Worcester,England
indexing project (batch) number: M04565-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 465285

I couldn't see the marriage you mentioned.

The nearest baptism I could find to your 1800 one is this:

name: Betty Harris
baptism/christening date: 20 Dec 1801
baptism/christening place: OVERBURY,WORCESTER,ENGLAND
father's name: John Harris
mother's name: Mary
indexing project (batch) number: C04565-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 465285

There are lots of children bap in Overbury with Harris parents called John and Mary. And if you have the 1800 baptism then is that your Elizabeth or is Betty above yours?

I did also wonder if Mary Harris is Elizabeth's grandmother?!!

Merry
30-09-11, 06:29
How do you know Elizabeth's father was called John?

Durham Lady
30-09-11, 09:45
Jood,I'm a wee bit busy for the next couple of weeks but if you can bare to wait until I get home from my trip North, mid October, I can go to Worcester history Centre and go through the PR's for you and pick out any marriages and baptisms.

geniebug
30-09-11, 12:01
Daphne I didn't really expect you to go to the history centre - !! You just enjoy your trip.

I have heaps of rellies there, but slowly making headway.

Merry I have attached the two papers, one the death certificate - the other I don't know where I got it from to be honest.

You helped me sort this out in another thread. I had the 1841 census HO107/1202/16, and there were names on the next page we were deciding if it was Rhoda AND Mary - I still can't read if it is Rhoda. Mary was showing as 82 which is correct, as she died in 1843 aged 84.

There was a possible sister for Elizabeth (unless Betty is Elizabeth) which you Merry, sent me

?????????? Possible?
BETTY HARRIS Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 20 DEC 1801 Overbury, Worcester, England

Death:
Burial:
---
Parents:
Father: JOHN HARRIS Family
Mother: MARY

Merry - if it's too hard to work out - don't worry about it - thanks for your help.

Have a look at the attachments.

Merry
30-09-11, 13:18
The marriage index entry you posted up is from Pallot's Marriage Index (which is included on Ancestry). The Harris/Pearce marriage took place at St. John-in-Bedwardine Parish Church in Worcester which is about 15 miles from Overbury.

So we have a baptism for Betty in 1801, dau of John and Mary and we have a marriage for a John and Mary in 1799 in the same place, which seems more likely than the one in Worcester, though I expect there were other possible marriages in Worcestershire which we don't have access to, as well.

I'm a bit confused by your comment:

There was a possible sister for Elizabeth (unless Betty is Elizabeth) which you Merry, sent me

When I posted up Betty's baptism I meant it as a possible baptism for Elizabeth. I can't find a baptism for an Elizabeth, so who were you thinking was the sister? Do you have a baptism for an Elizabeth as well as the one for Betty?

If Elizabeth/Betty's parents were John and Mary who were married in 1799 it would be quite unusual for the bride to be as old as Mary would have been if she is the same person who you have the death cert for unless she was a widow.

kiterunner
30-09-11, 13:23
So we have a baptism for Betty in 1801, dau of John and Elizabeth and we have a marriage for a John and Elizabeth in 1799 in the same place, which seems more likely than the one in Worcester, though I expect there wewre other possible marriages in Worcestershire which we don't have access to, as well.

But doesn't the baptism say the parents were John and Mary?

Merry
30-09-11, 13:24
I had the 1841 census HO107/1202/16, and there were names on the next page we were deciding if it was Rhoda AND Mary - I still can't read if it is Rhoda.

I've just looked at the second page and the people listed there are:

Martha (Cook) 4 Yes
Rhoda (Cook) 1 Yes
Mary Harris 82 Yes

Here is Rhoda's birth reg:

Births Mar 1840
Cook Rhoda Tewkesbury 11 408

Merry
30-09-11, 13:26
Kate, you copied my post before I had corrected it!

kiterunner
30-09-11, 13:27
Harris baptisms at Overbury on FamilySearch, with parents John and Mary, from 1790 onwards:
Charles and Thos 2 Aug 1795
Mary 1 Jan 1797
John 4 Jan 1801
Betty 20 Dec 1801
Ann 30 Jul 1803
Thomas 28 Apr 1807

kiterunner
30-09-11, 13:29
But yes, there is that other John Harris / Mary (Gilberd) marriage in 1799 to confuse the issue.

kiterunner
30-09-11, 13:32
I would think your best bet is to get a lookup or full transcription of the actual PR's somehow to see if there are further details which might help to sort them out, like residence or father's occupation. Of course there might not be anything as it is before 1813 but it's worth a try.

Merry
30-09-11, 13:32
There's another bap, parents John and Mary in 1789, so before the Worcester marriage.

Merry
30-09-11, 13:33
I would think your best bet is to get a lookup or full transcription of the actual PR's somehow to see if there are further details which might help to sort them out, like residence or father's occupation. Of course there might not be anything as it is before 1813 but it's worth a try.

I agree with that 100%.

This may sadly be one of those families where you can never be sure if you have the right people, but if you get the PR's you might be in with a chance!!

Merry
30-09-11, 13:44
The only John and Mary burials who are old enough to be Elizabeth's parents are these:

18 Jun 1828 John HARRIS 73 Worcs Overbury, St Faith
30 Sep 1843 Mary HARRIS 87 Worcs Overbury, St Faith

I feel fairly confident that this John who died in 1828 was Mary's husband but am not so sure they are Elizabeth's parents.

Merry
30-09-11, 15:32
How about this?

Betty (Elizabeth) Harris bap 1801 dau of Mary and John (as we've said already)

We also have the 1799 marriage of Mary and John. Mary is recorded as Mary Gilberd which I should think in reality is Mary Gilbert.

There's a baptism for Mary Gilbert thus:

name: Mary Gilbert
baptism/christening date: 22 Nov 1778
baptism/christening place: Overbury, Worcester, England
father's name: Thos. Gilbert
mother's name: Eliz.
indexing project (batch) number: I03815-1
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 325634

And likely burials for her parents in Overbury:

24 Nov 1800 Thomas GILBERT Worcs Overbury, St Faith
3 Apr 1836 Elizabeth GILBERT 89 Worcs Overbury, St Faith

I think this is her in 1851 with her husband John (her age is spot on)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=GLSHO107_1974_1974-0353&fn=John&ln=Harris&st=d&ssrc=&pid=7865864

The good bit is that this John Harris is a shoemaker whilst the husband of Mary Harris whose death cert you have was a labourer, meaning if you look at the 1801 baptism you may get lucky with an occ for the father!

John and Mary have an unmarried daughter with them in 1851 - here is her baptism:

MARY HARRIS
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 28 APR 1811 Overbury, Worcester, England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: JOHN HARRIS Family
Mother: MARY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

The Mary Harris whose death cert you have is too young to be the mother of John Harris the shoemaker (which could have made her the grandmother of Elizabeth Cook), but she is most likely some other close relative. I noticed her death was reg by an Esther Harris.

Esther Harris may well be the wife of yet another John Harris! Here they are in Overbury in 1851:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=GLSHO107_1974_1974-0367&fn=Esther&ln=Harris&st=d&ssrc=&pid=7866097

Anyway, I could go on, but what I think you need to do next is to have sight of the original baptism for Betty Harris in 1801 and hope her father has an occupation recorded. :D (at the same time it would be good to see if the other Harris baps have occupations/addresses as Kate suggested earlier.)

geniebug
30-09-11, 22:56
I lost a whole screed I had typed out lol

The marriage index entry you posted up is from Pallot's Marriage Index (which is included on Ancestry). The Harris/Pearce marriage took place at St. John-in-Bedwardine Parish Church in Worcester which is about 15 miles from Overbury.

So we have a baptism for Betty in 1801, dau of John and Mary and we have a marriage for a John and Mary in 1799 in the same place, which seems more likely than the one in Worcester, though I expect there were other possible marriages in Worcestershire which we don't have access to, as well.
It was 1790 not 1799

re Betty & Elizabeth I didnt know if they were one and the same person.

Those births you mentioned

Harris baptisms at Overbury on FamilySearch, with parents John and Mary, from 1790 onwards:
Charles and Thos 2 Aug 1795
Mary 1 Jan 1797
John 4 Jan 1801
Betty 20 Dec 1801
Ann 30 Jul 1803
Thomas 28 Apr 1807
seem to fit in with the marriage.

Interestingly, Elizabeth Harris the daughter, named some of her children
Mary, & Thomas plus Ann Elizabeth & Mary Ann, (the rest were Joseph, Sarah, Martha & Rhoda.

You mentioned a marriage in 1799 again, whereas the one I sent you was 1790 - so do I scrub that one?

I was unable to read the ancestry information as I don't have it. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7866097 & http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7865864

Anyway, I could go on, but what I think you need to do next is to have sight of the original baptism for Betty Harris in 1801 and hope her father has an occupation recorded. (at the same time it would be good to see if the other Harris baps have occupations/addresses as Kate suggested earlier.)

I'd be happy to do this - do I purchase something, look up something or what? Daphne has very kindly offered to look up parish records for me late October. Is that what you meant?

I appreciate all this work you've done for me. It's so easy to go off on the wrong track.

Merry
01-10-11, 07:27
The 1790 marriage was in Worcester which is a little way from Overbury (15 miles), whilst the 1799 marriage was in Overbury.

I think the 1799 marriage (Harris/Gilbert) is for the couple who are still alive in 1851 (I didn't look for them on other censuses yet). Here they are:

1851 Overbury
John Harris head m 80 shoemaker b Conderton, Worcs
Mary Harris wife m 72 b Overbury, Worcs
Mary Harris dau unm 40 b Overbury

HO107; Piece: 1974; Folio: 188; Page: 12

I think this couple MAY be the parents of Betty/Elizabeth. I think Betty and Elizabeth are the same person mainly because there isn't a baptism for an Elizabeth (at least not on the IGI) and I have many on my tree who fluctuate between those names!

Hopefully, if there are occs recorded on the pre-1812 baptisms then you will be able to tell if the above couple are the right people as shoemaking would be something John Harris would have been trained in as a young man - not something he is likely to have taken up later.

Mary Harris is still alive in 1861. I was hoping she would be living with family members of some sort, but sadly not:

1861 Overbury

Mary Harris head wid 82 shoemaker's widow b Overbury, Worcs

RG9; Piece: 1805; Folio: 23; Page: 10

Merry
01-10-11, 11:56
I think the shoemaker may have left a will - I can't be certain it's him because we know there were several John Harris's in Overbury and with no burial record available on the NBI after 1851 (though I don't have version 3 so don't know if that might help) and no age at death on the GRO index I don't have any way to check.

There's this entry on the death duty indexes for 1853:

John Harris of Overbury Worcs, exor Mary Harris, court Worcester (I think!).

Margaret in Burton
01-10-11, 12:09
I think the shoemaker may have left a will - I can't be certain it's him because we know there were several John Harris's in Overbury and with no burial record available on the NBI after 1851 (though I don't have version 3 so don't know if that might help) and no age at death on the GRO index I don't have any way to check.

There's this entry on the death duty indexes for 1853:

John Harris of Overbury Worcs, exor Mary Harris, court Worcester (I think!).

Nothing on NBI3 either.

geniebug
01-10-11, 12:15
So you think John's Mary was Mary Gilbert. I'm just confused why we think he's a shoemaker ( must read back again). Should I find Mary Gilbert/Harris' death and send away for the certificate, or should I wait till Daphne can look up parish records in late October?

I was given this piece of information from another site which only gave me a bit of stuff, nothing concrete, and apparently someone saw it today and messaged me :

Hi Jood, I might be able to help you My 5 X Great Grandmother was Hester/Esther Harris from Overbury married to John Harris. Where is your connection to them?

Other info from that site, which doesn't help me as et. I am hoping this person can shed a bit of light on my John & Mary -

On the facing page of the 1841 census, is a Hester Harris, who could be the informant Esther.

John Harris 56
Hester Harris 50
Thomas Harris 30
Richard Harris 25
Elizabeth Harris 15
Hariah Harris 14
Job Harris 9

Just received your latest msg Merry - about the Will - that sounds very interesting.

PS - thanks Marg, just got your answer as well.

Merry
01-10-11, 12:26
Yes, that Hester/Esther is the one I posted about in #19 (but you can't view the census page). I think she is the person who did the registering on the death cert you had.

So you think John's Mary was Mary Gilbert. I'm just confused why we think he's a shoemaker ( must read back again). Should I find Mary Gilbert/Harris' death and send away for the certificate, or should I wait till Daphne can look up parish records in late October?

I think the shoemakers wife was Mary Gilbert. He's a shoemaker because that's what it says on the 1851 census, but I don't knw that he is Elizabeth's father, because there seems to be more than one John and Mary Harris having children at the same time.

There are two things that might answer that. Firsty the bap for Betty which may have a father's occ.

Secondly the will (if it's for the right John) which may include his children as beneficiaries and might include Elizabeth if she is his.

The death cert for Mary will only help if the death was registered by her daughter Elizabeth (if E is her daughter). There are four death reg's to choose from though the only one with an age at death (ie post 1866) could be her!

Merry
01-10-11, 12:34
Info re the will:

Year probate granted: 1853
Testator: John Harris of Overbury, Worcs
Executrix: Mary Harris
Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)

The original records are deposited at:

The Worcestershire Records Office.
County Hall
Spetchley Road
Worcester WR5 2NP
ENGLAND

Tel: 44 (001905 766351 / 766355
Fax: 44 (0)1905 766363
Minicom: 766399
Email: [email protected]

Or if you are near an LDS centre:

Family History Library Records
Many of Worcestershire's Probate records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through the many family history centers world-wide. These include:

■Original wills of the consistory court of Worcester, 1493-1857

https://www.familysearch.org/s/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog.familysearch.org%3A8 080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F339811&hash=HloWXpZgU9zB10k5M56iYku8TUc%253D

geniebug
01-10-11, 22:31
Thanks for being so helpful Merry, I'll write to them first up and then take it from there.

I am still waiting on Hester/Esther reply from the other site. Will let you know what they say.

Merry
02-10-11, 07:07
Of course it could still work out that the Mary who you have the death cert for is Elizabeth's mother. If that's the case we would hope the bap for Betty shows father's occ as labourer or similar. I wonder if this Mary is the mother of John who was married to Esther, as Esther seems to have registered her death?

I suppose if you get the will for John the shoemaker and it doesn't mention Elizabeth Cook it still coud be useful for eliminating some people from your direct family.

Sadly, researching common names is almost always more complicated/expensive than rarer ones though it can be more rewarding when (if!) you manage to sort out who is who!

geniebug
02-10-11, 07:18
The girl from the othe site answered my email :
Yes, there were a few Mary and John Harris's in Overbury. Do you know where your connection starts with this family and then I can go from there I just need a bit of a starting point, is this from someone who was transported? Thanks for the certificate.

I've given her what information I had - I just hope she maybe able to shed some light on the matter.

Ive written to the Records Office, but I get the impression they will be closed for a week, so it may be a while before I get a reply.

Merry
02-10-11, 07:24
Maybe you should take up Daphne's kind offer toget the full details of the 1801 baptism?

geniebug
02-10-11, 07:33
I will Merry, I wasn't quite sure exactly what to ask her to look for.

Merry
02-10-11, 07:39
I would ask her to look at the 1801 bap for Betty and tell you the full details - cross your fingers the vicar was one for detail! Depending on whether the registers are difficult/easy to examine, maybe she could look at some of those other Harris baps listed earlier by Kate, to see if there are any further clues!

geniebug
02-10-11, 07:41
OK will do. She wont be going till after 19 October, so we can only hope.

Meanwhile the other girl might come forth with something concrete - I hope so.

Thanks again for your help Merry.

geniebug
04-10-11, 11:30
I was able to get a copy of the will - not sure if I can show it here, but basically it says

This will was proved on 2.12.1853. There is an accompanying administration, naming Mary Harris, spinster, as the surviving executrix named in the Will.

Mr Harris was given as a Shoemaker. The conditions of the will itself are quite lengthy. Put simply he leaves everything to his wife, Mary, during her life. At her death his property is divided between his daughter Mary Harris, his son Thomas Harris and his daughter Ann, with a provision that at her death, her share should go to his Granddaughter Harriet Johnson, and her heirs, to be given to her (Harriet), when she attained the age of 21, or be married. If this Harriet died without issue, then the property should be left to any heirs of Ann from her second marriage. On the death of these it would revert to his daughter Mary and son Thomas. The property seemed to mainly consist of 3 properties and a list of household belongings.
-------------------
I also better tell you this

The County Hall branch of Worcestershire Record Office is currently closed during the first full week of each calendar month (Monday to Friday) in order to prepare for our move to the Hive in 2012. The office will be open on Saturdays as normal. Our History Centre branch will remain open as usual during this time. For further details please visit our website at http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/records/the-hive.aspx

As of Monday 14th November 2011, the County Hall branch will close permanently to allow for the movement of our archive collections to The Hive. We will reopen again at the Hive in July 2012. For more information about our exciting new home and the facilities which will be available, please visit: www.TheHiveWorcester.org

I was also lucky enough that Daphne copied the following:

I checked out the baptisms listed on your thread and the way I type them is what showed on the PR's. As you will see the early ones didn't give much information at all.
There were some other Harris family baptisms from 1807, I will add them too.
I couldn't see anything prior to 1795 as no earlier film in the drawer to use. May have been out with someone else although no marker in place. I can go again in a couple of weks though if it might help.

August 2nd Harris Thomas son of John and Mary.
August 2nd Harris Charles son of John and Mary.
January 1st Harris Mary daughter of John and Mary.
December 20th Harris Betty daughter of John and Mary.
Harris Ann of John and Mary July 30th. (it didn't say daughter of)
Thomas Harris Son of John and Mary April 28th.

There was the following Burial among the baptisms but no age given so don't know if it was an adult or child, the vicar was very sparing in details!
Jan 8th Ann Harris.

Back to baptisms.
November 27th Thomas Harris son of John and Hester.
Sarah Harris dau of Thomas and Rebecca July 28th.
William Harris son of Thomas and Rebecca May 26th.
Sarah dau of William and Elizabeth Harris 29th March.
Elizabeth dau of John and Rebecca Harris May 20th.
Catherine dau of John and Hester Harris Oct 21st.
April 28th Mary dau of John and Mary Harris.
March 11th John son of William and Susanna Harris.

From 1813 it gave the place of abode and father's occupation.
All but 1 from Overbury and all Labourers.

William Harris son of John and Hester 7th Jan.
Lucy Harris Dau of William and ? (could be Susanna but very blured) 7th Feb.

Richard Harris son of John and Hester 14th March.

Hester Harris dau of William and Susanna 2nd April.
Dinah Harris daughter of Ann single woman 14th Jan.

Ann Harris dau of John and Esther 14th Sept.
Daniel Harris son of William and Susan 21st Sept.
(several now say Susan not Susanna, may be the same person?)

Jane Harris dau of John and Esther 9th April.
William Harris son of William and Susan 25th June.

Joseph Harris son of William and Susan 7th April.

Elizabeth Harris dau of John and Esther 20 Oct.

Charles Harris son of William and Susan 26th Dec

the next one was odd the way it was written, I've tred to copy how it was in the PR's, could be the couple were not married but father accepted responsibility?
1826 Jan 8th
Harriet dau of William Barnes Conderton Lab
Ann called
Harris
Back to normal
Harriet Harris dau of John and Esther Mar 26th.

Rachel Harris dau of William and Susanna June 17th

Kezia Harris dau of William and Susanna July 18th
Kezia dau of Thomas and Sarah ? 15th. couldn't make out the month at all.

Merry
04-10-11, 12:54
So it looks as if the shoemaker and his wife are probably not the parents of Elizabeth Cook as she's not in the will, which is a shame as we know who they are! On the other hand, it makes it more likely you have the death cert for Elizabeth's mother which is good, except that we can't as yet trace her back.

I do wonder if Esther who registered the death of Mary Harris was her daughter-in-law? Not sure how to work that out?!!

I'm not sure where to go from here..........:o

geniebug
04-10-11, 21:02
The girl I have been talking to on the other site says

Hi Jood, I might be able to help you My 5 X Great Grandmother was Hester/Esther Harris from Overbury married to John Harris. Where is your connection to them?

Yes, there were a few Mary and John Harris's in Overbury. Do you know where your connection starts with this family and then I can go from there I just need a bit of a starting point, is this from someone who was transported?

This is where coincidence really gives me a knock! I was researching my Harris family last week and came across the Heaven family in Gloucester such an unusual name so I've remembered it. As you say there are a couple of Mary Harris's which makes it difficult...at the moment but I'm sure we can sort it

I haven't found the village of Oxenball but there is a place called Oxenton where I've found some of the Harris family its not far from overbury and Gloucester

My Hester Hathaway was born in Beckford 1785 the next village along to Conderton then Overbury and married John Harris 1875 they married in 1807. They had lots of children including my 5xGt Grand Mother Caroline Harrisb 1810 (and thats another very long story) Her brother William Harris was transported to Australia in 1838.

My John Harris's parents were John Harris and Mary Clarke b 1763 Bredon died 1843 hmmmm this is where its confusing! There is obviously a connection here somewhere.

How did your branch of the family get to Australia?

Incidentally the Heavens married Ann Elizabeth Cook, daughter of Mary Harris/Cook

someone else said

Jood,
I think Historymin's reference was to both Hetser Hathway & Jon Harris being born in 1775. They married in 1807.

HistoryMin,
I was not a member of this site , I was doing a “look up ” for Worcestershire when I stumbled across Jood’s post on here , and thought of you. So glad you joined too.
I do hope you and Jood find a connection and that you may in time find your elusive Caroline.

Prior to this thread being opened again, I'd heard nothing since mid September.

Merry
04-10-11, 21:24
I'm a bit unsure as to who is saying what in the above post, but with regard to this part:

My Hester Hathaway was born in Beckford 1785 the next village along to Conderton then Overbury and married John Harris 1875 they married in 1807. They had lots of children including my 5xGt Grand Mother Caroline Harrisb 1810 (and thats another very long story) Her brother William Harris was transported to Australia in 1838.

My John Harris's parents were John Harris and Mary Clarke b 1763 Bredon died 1843 hmmmm this is where its confusing! There is obviously a connection here somewhere.

I realise John's date should probably read 1785 (though he and Esther both show as younger in 1851), I would ask your contact how she knows who his parents are? Perhaps there is a baptism in the PRs but there isn't one on the IGI as far as I can see. If she has a baptism showing his parents are a John and Mary, how does she know the wife is Mary Clarke?

I note she says her Mary died in 1843 aged 80 (?). Yours died 1843 aged 86 (?? sorry your posted image is too small for my eyes, so I'm going from memory!) yet there is only one death reg that year, so I think she is saying your Mary is Mary Clarke, despite the age difference! So, you really do need to know how she knows her name and when/where the marriage took place. Finally how does she know where Mary Clarke was born? It's a pretty common name!

geniebug
04-10-11, 21:48
Merry I have emailed her and will let you know what she says.

Durham Lady
05-10-11, 09:56
Jood, which site are you using to have the other contacts? it might help if we know and can read the posts ourselves.

If you need more PR's checking at Worcester while I'm away try to make a list of each person, the Parish, the time scale and if it's baptism, marriage, burial.
That will make it easier for me than having to try and work out from all the posts what you need.

geniebug
05-10-11, 10:20
I felt awful having two posts on different forums - but the other one had reached a stalemate earlier in September, then out of the blue this new poster (her first post) wrote to me.

It is Family Tree Forum, and the particular message site is Library: Anyone doing lookups for Overbury, Worc?

I thought I had Ann Elizabeth Cooks marriage certificate of her wedding to James Heaven on 8 Feb 1851.

They were both of full age and were married in Established Church, Parish of Corse, County of Glos (the word Newent was mentioned) and witnessed by William Finch & Harriett Turley. Theier parents were him (John Cook - Stone Mason) and she William Heaven - Farmer). Unfortunately I didn't write down where I got the information from. I'm hoping someone can tell me (if it was Ancestry or similar)

In case you were wondering, Ann Elizabeth Cook (Heaven) - is my relative, and her mother was Elizabeth Harris.

btw is Glos close to Worc??

Meanwhile I will make a list out for you Daphne, and email it to you.

Merry
05-10-11, 11:47
I thought I had Ann Elizabeth Cooks marriage certificate of her wedding to James Heaven on 8 Feb 1851.

I think the date should be 8th Sept as the marriage was reg in Q3 and the IGI has 8th Sept. I'm not sure where you would have seen the full details if you don't have the cert.

Janet
05-10-11, 17:11
Jood, Gloucestershire (Glos) is next to Worcestershire (Worc). Is that what you were asking? Also, Corse is in Gloucestershire but it's right on the border, so the parishes bordering Corse on its north and west are in Worcestershire.

I wonder if the mysterious "Oxenball" is just a mistranscription or misreading of "Oxenhall" which is about 20 miles from Overbury, 7 miles from Corse.

Durham Lady
05-10-11, 20:25
Jood, Corse is not far from me, just over the border in Gloucestershire and just inside the Forest of Dean, we go through the village if we take the back road to Gloucester. It's a case of blink and you'll miss it. Newent isn't too far away either and a small market town. I think the population is around 6000 now. It is also within the Forest of Dean.

The following link might help with where the counties are.
http://www.picturesofengland.com/mapofengland/counties-map.html

geniebug
05-10-11, 20:29
I'd say you were right then Daphne about Oxenball and Oxenhall - at first I thought it should have been Overbury, but the other name is more logical. So where is Newent in relation to Glos & Worc?

Merry, am still wondering where I got that marriage information from. I usually scan them and give the original to my daughter - but she says she doesn't have it. To have had that much information, I surely must have got it from a certificate do you think?

Durham Lady
05-10-11, 20:41
It was Janet I think mentioned Oxenhall Jood. Maybe you have a certificate somewhere, have you checked all your files?
Here's a map with Newent, use the slide on the left until you get Gloucester and Worcester showing too so you can see where they are in relation to each other. You will see Malvern where I live too :)

http://www.aboutbritain.com/maps/newent-map.asp

Merry
05-10-11, 21:08
I usually scan them and give the original to my daughter

Have you searched your hard drive for the scan in case you filed it in the wrong place?