PDA

View Full Version : Family History websites??

HarrysMum
29-09-11, 10:26
I have a sub to The Genealogist (which I love)..but I need to search for some wills which aren't PCC ones. I'm expecting them to be Yorkshire wills and all pre 1850s.

I have bought some credits for FMP and my Ancestry sub has expired.

I've found Yorkshire wills on Origins.net (I think anyway)

Has anyone used this site? I'm looking at a month sub to check it out.

Sue from Southend
29-09-11, 10:52
I've used it with a 72 hour sub. which seems to be enough to whizz through their databases but you have use your time management skills!

Also check the small print - I seem to remember having to pay extra for images. But that might be because of the "cheaper" sub.

Edit: Just remembered that a lot of their stuff is on FMP already so it might be worth checking that you're not signing up for data that you've already seen... (it's the Society of Genealogists databases on FMP)

HarrysMum
29-09-11, 10:56
Thanks Sue.......it's the only place I've seen wills from Yorks., but as I've no idea about Yorks., I really don't know what I'm after...lol

borobabs
29-09-11, 11:11
Libby have you tried the main archives not 1005 sure but think its Harrogate know Northallerton keeps lots of stuff but not sure where your area comes under ;;

kiterunner
29-09-11, 13:18
I don't remember ever having to pay extra to view images on Origins, with the 72 hour sub. You do have to pay to order printouts of documents which they don't have the images of, such as wills. I always use the 72 hour sub because it doesn't automatically renew, and there isn't very much on the site so I never need more than 72 hours to look at everything I want. As far as I know it is the only site that has an index of the Borthwick Institute wills.

Margaret in Burton
29-09-11, 13:20
I had a 72 hour sub to this years ago. How much is the 72 hour these days?

Sue from Southend
29-09-11, 14:53
[QUOTE=kiterunner;155926]I don't remember ever having to pay extra to view images on Origins, with the 72 hour sub. You do have to pay to order printouts of documents which they don't have the images of, such as wills. QUOTE]

I think that's what I meant:o

Mary from Italy
29-09-11, 15:22
I ordered a Yorkshire will from Origins recently - I think it cost £10. They take a month or two to arrive if I remember rightly.

Mary from Italy
29-09-11, 15:23
I had a 72 hour sub to this years ago. How much is the 72 hour these days?

You'll find the pricing details here:

http://www.origins.net/Signup-info.aspx

If I remember rightly the one-month sub renews automatically if you don't cancel it, but the 72-hour one doesn't.

Margaret in Burton
29-09-11, 15:51
I might do the 72 hour when I know I have the time to look. The Oxfordshire Wills interest me.

HarrysMum
30-09-11, 07:42
Thanks people....I might get the 72 hour one and see if I can order some wills (if they have them).