PDA

View Full Version : A possible rape & suicide?

BlueSavannah
29-09-11, 09:50
Morning All,

I've recently made contact with a member of OH's family via Ancestry and have been sharing information found on hubby's great 2 x grandma.

Today, contact has asked me if I know anything about a rumour in the family that mutual ancestor's sister was raped and then committed suicide quite young? I hadnt heard this at all and it has got me intrigued.

The person in question is Emily Jane Phipps who was born in 1870 in the village of Longdon, Worcestershire; dau of David & Emma.

Emily is with her family on the 71 & 81 census. I have found what I believe to be her on the 91 census aged and single, and a servant in Worcester to the Pearson family. I also believe I have found her still single on the 1901 census as a visitor to the Bullock family; age slightly out saying she was 27 but birth place is correct.

The only death I can find is an Emily Jane Phipps aged 38 in the Cheltenham district in 1909. This age does tie in with Emily but she isnt as young as I had imagined with the rumour/story.

I havnt yet been able to find a likely marriage for Emily or her on the 1911.

Would something like this, if true, have been reported in any local newspapers, or any inquest held?

It is something I would like to follow up to see if there is any truth in it, but not wanting to spend cash on random certificates I cant really afford :(

Olde Crone
29-09-11, 10:25
If she was raped then she might not have reported it AND may have committed suicide years later.

If she committed suicide, it might have been in the papers but personally I'd get her death cert first to see what she died of.

OC

BlueSavannah
29-09-11, 10:55
Thanks OC.

I did wonder that myself. If there is a family rumour, then I would presume she either confided in a member of the family, or she left a note of some kind when she died.

If I could be sure when she died, then I dont mind buying the cert.