PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Google Books help please.

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 09:15
This is urgent because I may stress myself into an early grave if I don't sort it soon....lol

In my "Yorkshire PRs" thread here, Janet has put a link to a book with my Naylors in it.

I can get the link but cannot work out how to read the book. Usually I'm all over Google Books, but this has me stumped.

Would someone mind trying to open the book please???

Merry
26-09-11, 09:29
I always assumed if it said "No Preview available" it meant just that?? I don't know how to access the book either.

*waits for Kate* :rolleyes:

Merry
26-09-11, 09:32
OH says, and I quote... "Don't you have to have an Ebook reader program?"

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 09:40
No idea Merry....but Janet read it!!!! I wonder if I could find her phone number and wake her from a deep sleep....lol

(Thanks for the pm)

I've found some info on a Vincent Eyre and his will. As yet I can read barely any of it but can't see the words "my daughter Elizabeth, now the wife of George naylor" lol

I'll go back to GB and check the e-reader thingy.

Merry
26-09-11, 09:41
If you want to email me the difficult will I don't mind fiddling with it as I can't go out as waiting for the car assessment people to come and tell me my car's a write-off :mad:

I need something difficult to take my mind off it! lol

kiterunner
26-09-11, 09:45
Some of the books on Google books are available in some countries but not others, because of copyright restrictions, so I guess that one is available in the US but not Australia or the UK.

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 09:45
Oooh ta....

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 09:46
Thanks Kite....I'll have to wait for Janet for wake from her beauty sleep...

Merry
26-09-11, 10:00
Page 1

OK - Even page 1 is helpful! He says despite the likelyhood of him dying at Sheffield he would like to be buried at Newbold where his father and other ancestors were buried :) He wants £10 to be distributed amongst the poor of Newbold and a cheap funeral! lol

Page 2 shortly.......

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 10:06
Page 1

OK - Even page 1 is helpful! He says despite the likelyhood of him dying at Sheffield he would like to be buried at Newbold where his father and other ancestors were buried :) He wants £10 to be distributed amongst the poor of Newbold and a cheap funeral! lol

Page 2 shortly.......

Blimey...it just looked like a script my doc wrote to me......lol

Merry
26-09-11, 10:19
Page 2 - this writing isn't the one I like best which kicks in a few years later, I think......

Anyway. He wants his "just debts included in the list" (sounds bad! lol) dealt with by his brothers and his aunt. Her name is given but what is it? Broom...nd? at Dunkirk?????

he says his personal estate will be more than enough to cover the outstanding debts.

Because there are a few words I'm not sure of I can't decide if his dear mother is still alive and she is going to received an annuity of £120 per annum? Maybe that bit will become clearer later.

Next he moves on to his wife.....(not keen on naming anyone is he?!!) He mentions money settled on her at the time of their marriage and anything to which she was entitled from the will of her late uncle Mr Thomas Bolton or from her mother. He is giving her an annuity of £400 pa and £1000 for her personal use, plus the carridge and horses and all his household goods etc not including land, other money or securities etc. He says if he doesn't have enough money to cover the above annuities etc at the time of his dec'd then his real estate in Derbyshire that will have to be sold in part to cover.

He gives to his son Vincent Henry Eyre the said Derbyshire Estates (says they are worth upwards of £7,000).

His other estates in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Middlesex are to be sold and the money put in trust for his dear children.....

Page 3 to follow!

Merry
26-09-11, 10:42
Page 3

All the children except Vincent Henry Eyre get £3,000 a piece from the samle of the estates. He says if there's not enough then they will have to have equal shares. If there is some extra then the five younger sons should have another £1000 each in addition to the £3000. If there isn't enough to give them £1000 each then they get an equal fifth share. If there is some extra then this should be shared amongst all the children (inc the girls!) but the boys should get double whatever the girls get. All this to be sorted by the executors. Then there's a load of legal stuff about what will happen if one or more of the children don't survive him. Just what you would guess about the remainder getting an equal share of the dec'ds portion, except for the variation in share depending on sex. (still no names!)

He points out that his eldest son Vincent Henry has received more than the others and so he requires Vincent Henry to help out any of his siblings "should they stand in need of his assistance".

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 11:01
Thanks Merry.....not sure if that's the fellow I want. I have the feeling Elizabeth got a bit more than what old Vince is handing out......lol.

She had loads of her own money in her will.

Merry
26-09-11, 11:04
Sorry, they came to take my car away in the middle of this!

Page 4

He tells the children they would do well to not compare fortunes with others but to compare what they have with what the bulk of mankind enjoy. He says that there are other things in life than money!

He gives one of his two shares in the Sheffield T......B......( Aagghh, I can't read that!) and the other share to his son, Thomas Joseph.

He gives 10 guineas to each of his brothers as a token of remembrance and affection and that they might remember him in their pious prayers.

He leaves any other property (messuages, tenements, hereditaments etc) in trust "for my noble patron the Duke of Norfolk or his family unto Mr William Seymour, his heirs etc etc to convey the same in such manner as the said Duke shall direct"

He gives to Nurse Nanny (I can't think Nanny is right!) an annuity of £15
To his cook, Sally Eyre (a poor relation??!) an annuity of £10

£100 to go to his wife to be used for a charitable purpost of her choice.

The executors are named as "my dear wife" and "my affectionate brother, Thomas Eyre"

Then there's a bit about being nice to each other!

The will was signed 26th June 1795. Witnesses John Stanley, Henry Bannistor and Mich Johnson

The executors are recorded as Catherine Eyre the relict and Thomas Eyre the brother.

but can't see the words "my daughter Elizabeth, now the wife of George naylor" lol

But the trouble is the children are mostly not named......:( He certainly seems wealthy enough to be the right man, but that's all!)

Merry
26-09-11, 11:05
Oooh so yours are even richer?

I have the feeling Elizabeth got a bit more than what old Vince is handing out......lol.

Merry
26-09-11, 11:08
This may seal the matter as yours were not Catholic, were they?:

Quote from genuki:

Highfield, in Newbold, came into the family of Eyre by marriage with the heiress of Miles of that place. It is now the property and residence of Vincent Henry Eyre, Esq. He is proprietor also of a Roman Catholic chapel at Newbold, which has been the burial place of the family.

and:

http://www.derbyshireheritage.co.uk/Menu/Buildings/misc/Eyre-Chapel.php

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 11:15
No they weren't Catholic. Well, I don't think so....lol. Lizzie and George married C of E, and the two kids were baptised Congregational....lol.

I think I REALLY need to see that book Janet found (and read). There is a section on Clayton in that book as well. George left a sizeable chunk of money to the Indepenent Chapel of Clayton (which nobody has ever found).

Janet
26-09-11, 17:39
....but Janet read it!!!! I wonder if I could find her phone number and wake her from a deep sleep....lol

Careful, Libby, you're about to get a phone call at 3 in the morning to tell you all I need is your email address because I've got the item for you. :)

Meanwhile, I don't see George in the section on Clayton but there is mention of an Isaac Naylor who is trustee for a Baptist chapel purchased in 1712:

The Baptist interest of Rawdon is supposed to date its commencement from the itinerancy of William Mitchell and David Crossley, two natives of Heptonstall, who, about 1680, commenced a system of itinerant preaching, resulting in numerous congregations being formed. Mr. Mitchell frequently preached at Rawdon, and subsequently settled in the neighbourhood, where he continued until his death in 1705. Although a man rude of speech and of unpolished manners, he gathered large assemblies of hearers, who were not the fewer in consequence of the attempts to silence him by bringing the provisions of the Conventicle Act to bear upon him, and of his subsequent confinement in York Castle. The result of Mitchell's ministrations was doubtless the erection of the little chapel in Crag Wood, although it was not completed for some years after his death. It is believed, however, that the faithful, long before the erection of this chapel, met for worship under a rock, still standing, called the " Buckstone." The cavities in the rocks are still to be seen where posts and beams were inserted to allow of additional shelter being provided. The ground for the chapel was purchased in 1712 of John Gibson, yeoman, of Yeadon, and was conveyed to the following trustees, viz.:—John Marshall, of Yeadon ; John Hird, of Yeadon; Isaac Naylor, of Clayton, near Bradford ; William Rawson, of Heaton, physician ; and Major Theaker, of Rawdon, clothier. The "consideration" paid was only 10s. John Gibson, the vendor, lies buried within the ruined enclosure, and also his wife and son. In the year 1715 the church was formed, and for this purpose the members were dismissed from the parent community at Rossendale, near Bacup.

If you ever wake up, I will send you some more!

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 19:55
Oh Janet....as if I would ever ring anyone at 3am....lol. Although I remember the time Macbev found a marriage in Paris for missing Agatha and nearly rang me. Everyone here was waiting, not so patiently for me to get up.....lol

Imagine if I was a late riser. I'm usually on here before 6.

Thank you. As I know nothing about George or Elizabeth prior to their marriage, I can't add Isaac to the tree. Naylor is a very common name in that area.

I will revisit George's will this morning to see if any other names pop up at me.

Mary from Italy
27-09-11, 11:36
He gives to Nurse Nanny (I can't think Nanny is right!) an annuity of £15

Nanny used to be a pet name for Ann.

Merry
27-09-11, 12:26
Yes, but didn't he know her last name? (perhaps not! lol)