PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire PRs

HarrysMum
25-09-11, 09:22
I have this week off work with only the slight job of keeping eight year old grandie company.

So....I am determined to find a bit more on OH's lot.....the Naylors and Eyres.

I'm looking for records from pre 1795 when they married by licence.

Their only two children were baptised non-con in 1796 and 1797.

Area I have them is Cleckheaton.

Does anyone know where I can find anything for this area in this time??

kiterunner
25-09-11, 09:46
According to GENUKI, it would be Birstall parish at that time.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Birstall/index.html

And the Birstall St Peter records are on ancestry in the West Yorkshire collection! Loads of Naylors in there but not many Eyres - the nearest I can see on the pre-1813 database is an Eyer.

HarrysMum
25-09-11, 10:00
Thanks Kite...is that Ancestry??

My Ancestry sub expired and I've not decided what to get.

In Google books there is a marriage notice for Elizabeth Eyre and George Naylor. They marry 14th May 1795 Birstall. The notice says.....

Elizabeth Eyre, daughter of a merchant of this town married George Naylor.

Of course it doesn't say what town or the merchant's name...lol

Both Elizabeth and George were quite old for first marriages. George was 56 and Elizabeth 39.
That is from their ages at death. I have both their wills and there seems to be no other children from other marriages. I'm fairly certain from the notice in Google books that at least Elizabeth was not married before. She passed on all the Eyre crests, jewellery etc.

kiterunner
25-09-11, 10:25
Er yes, ancestry is the same as Ancestry! Now I remember, that marriage is the one where ancestry have Elizabeth Eyre indexed as "Parson Brittell"! It actually says on the marriage entry Mr George Naylor of ClickHeaton in the Parish of Birstall and Miss Elizabeth Eyre of the parish of Wakefield. Witnesses William Birkby and Joseph Shaw (serial witness). The Mr and Miss before their names are a mark of higher social status as the rest of the brides and grooms don't have them.

HarrysMum
25-09-11, 10:48
Sorry Kite...lol. Blame 8 year olds....lol

I was actually hoping that William Birkby was Kirkby and somehow could tie in with this family later...

It's really pre that 1795 marriage I'm after. I've emailed a few Yorkshire FH places about getting the actual licence (hoping it had fathers' names) but never had a reply.

Merry
25-09-11, 11:04
I know this is a lot further back, but I wonder what the content of this will might tell you? (it's a PCC one at TNA)

Will of Mathew Naylor, Yeoman of Cleckheaton, Yorkshire 16 April 1650 PROB 11/212

I can't help wondering what this one is all about:

Will of Ann Walsh otherwise Eyre otherwise Cooke, Widow of Wakefield , Yorkshire 09 July 1808 PROB 11/1483

It's 8 pages long I think!!

HarrysMum
25-09-11, 20:32
Thanks Merry.

I'll get those....hopefully they are on The Gen sub...lol

The Ann Walsh one (I'll get anyway) doesn't seem to fit with mine. George Naylor died in 1806 and I have his will. His wife died in Bristol in 1829 and I have her will.

I've never found a burial for their son, George b 1796, but he
s not mentioned on his father's will and would have only been 10 years old so presume he died before then.

Kit
25-09-11, 22:43
Libby do you have the marriage paperwork? I can email it to you.

Janet
26-09-11, 04:57
Libby, have you looked at this book? There is a chapter on "Scholes, a hamlet in the township of Cleckheaton and the parish of Birstal" (pp. 93-99). Has prominent Naylors, including a George, and Birkbys. Even if they're not your exact people (though I think they might be), it's pretty interesting background. Tells a lot about the neighborhood. And this one is not snippets, and it's searchable. If you search all the names and places you're interested in you'll find other mentions outside that one chapter.

http://books.google.com/books?id=WYplB17WoHYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Round+about+Bradford&hl=en&ei=69p_Tv-wOOHo0QHzv_wC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 06:25
Thanks Janet.......When i click that link, I can see the Index (with Scholes.....and even more importantly, CLAYTON) but I can't work out how to actually read it.

I'm usually good with Google Books...lol

Merry
26-09-11, 06:40
Libby, I'd forgotten about your Gen sub! If I were you I would be looking at all the Yorkshire Naylor PCCwills to see if any reveal anything useful. TNA shows only 11 altogether.

HarrysMum
26-09-11, 07:38
Off there now Merry....unless the 8 year old has other ideas...lol

Kit
26-09-11, 10:24
Janet we can't read that book here is Oz.

Can you have a look and tell me if there are any mentions of Simpsons or Eastwoods please?

Janet
26-09-11, 15:59
Toni:
p. 306
"Shipley has been rich in centenarians.[...] Francis Simpson, of Piccadilly, died in 1849, aged 90."
The other references to Simpson are places: Simpson Green, Simpson Green Mill.
Two references to Eastwood are also a place name.

Libby:
If you PM me your email I think I can help you out.

Kit
27-09-11, 01:38
Very possible Janet but he's a generation further back than I am so far. Francis is a name occurs in my Simpson line. I'll check him in the 1841 census and see if there are any hints.

Edit: I don't deserve him to be mine. I've spent 5 minutes trying everything I can think of to find him. Turns out it is a lot easier when you get the year of birth right. :o

tenterfieldjulie
27-09-11, 02:50
Been there

HarrysMum
27-09-11, 02:57
Been there

If you tell me you've been to Dewsbury and didn't check the PRs (just on speck in case sometime in the future someone might need them) I'm not talking to you......

Janet
27-09-11, 03:20
Stop me if I already said all this someplace else. I'm getting lost in Libby's world! :d:d:d

In Google books there is a marriage notice for Elizabeth Eyre and George Naylor. They marry 14th May 1795 Birstall. The notice says.....
Elizabeth Eyre, daughter of a merchant of this town married George Naylor.
Of course it doesn't say what town or the merchant's name...lol

Looks like Google is showing us different snippets, too, Libby, but the snippet I see says:
"Thursday was married Mr. George Naylor of Cleckheaton, to Miss Eyre, dau. of Mr. Eyre of this town, merchant."

So I'm thinking "of this town" perhaps refers to Cleckheaton, already mentioned in the same sentence? And Eyre would be her maiden name, not a former married name, because her father has the same surname. Still don't have a given name for the father, though. Or have you already leapt far ahead of me while I was out today?

Some other dribs and drabs of info I turned up:

Scholes gets a mention in Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion:
Scholes, West Yorkshire
Village near Cleckheaton, Kirklees. 1½ miles east of Bailiff Bridge.
The name was originally Scales.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/s.html

Cleckheaton was originally Heaton. Cudworth says:
The ecclesiastical district of White Chapel consists of the hamlets of Scholes and Oakenshaw, with part of Cleckheaton. The chapel, sometimes called by its venerable name, the Old White Chapel of the North, is situate in White Chapel Lane, midway between Scholes and Cleckheaton. At the time of its erection it must have been in a very isolated situation. In Saxton’s Survey (taken in 1575) it is called Heaton Chapel—the Cleck, or Clack (from claeg, clay) having been added within the past century.

While searching your Naylors I've seen possible variations Nailer, Nalar, Naler, Nallor, Nalor, Naylour, Nelar.

I found this page, Deaths in White Chapel, Cleckheaton 1793 to 1804, and I got excited. But it turns out it doesn't give names so it's not really going to help you find George Naylor's death. It's kind of interesting though:
http://maggieblanck.com/Land/COD.html

Merry
27-09-11, 06:26
Is George Naylor the one who lived at Marsh House Liversedge?

Merry
27-09-11, 07:21
Did you realise there are Birkbys living at Marsh House in 1841?

HO107; Piece 1291; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Birstall; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 37; Page: 24

Merry
27-09-11, 07:43
So I'm thinking "of this town" perhaps refers to Cleckheaton, already mentioned in the same sentence?

It may well do, but the parish register entry has Elizabeth's parish of residence as Wakefield and one might expect a woman of her class to be living in her father's house until marriage. Of course her father might be considered "of this town" for more than one town if he had business interests in various places!

kiterunner
27-09-11, 08:03
I've never seen "of this town" used to mean of the same town that was just mentioned.

Merry
27-09-11, 08:14
I would expect to read "of the same place" if they meant Cleckheaton.

Merry
27-09-11, 09:18
Libby, do you know what George Naylor did for a living? (other than possibly 'nothing' as he said she was a gentleman in his will!)

I noticed that when Myles Ariel married Elizabeth Naylor the Monthly Magazine volume 40 describes George Naylor as "the late George Naylor esq, formerly of Wakefield".

a2a indexes a couple of documents regarding George Naylor of Wakefield from around 1790 and says he was a woolstapler, which in his case I presume would mean a wool dealer not the chap who sorts the wool into different grades!

Merry
27-09-11, 09:19
I know you said his will didn't mention his son, so presume he was dec'd. Did he leave anything to any other relatives apart from his wife and daughter?

HarrysMum
27-09-11, 10:36
I wish I knew how to put more than one quote in an answer...lol

The Naylors were seriously wealthy. I actually think a lot of the Ariel wealth arrived from Elizabeth Naylor (remember the will her husband had overturned) although a lot of the articles were from her mother (Elizabeth Eyre).

As for George's will......Merry, you should remember it; you transcribed it...lol.

Lots of rellies mentioned. I'll add them at the end of this.

I was under the impression (from the marriage notice) that the Eyres were from Wakefield.

Had no idea about the Birkbys, but Marsh House was the Naylor home.

After Elizabeth naylor married Myles Ariel, her mother went to Bristol with them, or after them, but she died there in 1829.

People mentioned in george Naylor's will of 1805 (he died 1806)

Sister in law......Joannah Linfitt of West Molton.

Joshua Naylor, the younger son of my late brother Thomas Naylor.

Thomas Naylor of Sheffield, the grandson of my late brother Thomas Naylor.

The children of my late sister, Sarah Pogmore late of Sheffield.

The children of my said sister Linfitt and my late brother in law Benjamin Robinson of Measborough (????) (that doesn't make sense unless Joannah (MN Naylor) married Robinson then Linfitt)

Joseph Horner of Wakefield, baker.

William Linfitt, woolstapler.

The minister of the Indepenet Chapel of Clayton.

My dear and loving wife, Elizabeth, the amount of 1,500 pounds, being her own fortune. (Did that mean she had that prior to the marriage??)

My brother in law, Joshua Robinson, late of Measborough.

My cousins, Ann Priestly, Sarah Fotherby, Ann Roafitt (??)

He appointed his wife, gaurdian of his daughter along with Samuel Thompson , woolstapler of Wakefield.

Samuel Thompson was also executor with George's wife.

The witnesses were....William Ogden, Samuel Hutchinson, William Fisher

No mention of his son who would have been only 10 years old.

kiterunner
27-09-11, 11:11
I wish I knew how to put more than one quote in an answer...lol

You click the "multi-quote" button (next to the normal quote button) on each post that you want to quote, and when you have highlighted them all this way, you click on the "reply" button and it should put them all into the one box for you.

HarrysMum
27-09-11, 11:27
Oooh thanks Kite.

Merry
27-09-11, 12:09
You know we wondered about George Naylor being a bachelor at aged 50odd.....

I wondered a bit about this marriage:

groom's name: George Naylor
bride's name: Elisebeth Robinson
marriage date: 28 Jan 1762
marriage place: Penistone,York,England
indexing project (batch) number: M04248-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 558345

If Joshua Robinson and the late Benjamin Robinson were George's bro-in-laws then they would be Elisabeth Robinson's brothers.

Joanna Linfitt was previously married to George's late bro-in-law Benjamin Robinson and may have also been George's sister, but maybe not! Did the will really say "sister Linfitt" without a first name?

I have no recollection of transcribing it at all!

Merry
27-09-11, 12:13
Forget that marriage as Elizabeth couldn't sign and I would expect anyone marrying GN to be able to do so!! (the witness is Thomas Naylor though! George is of High Hoyland. I have to keep telling myself there are a lot of Naylors in Yorks!!)

Merry
27-09-11, 12:33
Measborough is in the parish of South Kirkby, though these days it seems to be heavily associalted with Barnsley.

Merry
27-09-11, 12:50
Joanna Linfitt of West Molton I think maybe should be West Melton. I guess the Wm Linfitt mentioned is to do with her and we know the family were non-con.....so:

http://www.heritageinspired.org.uk/partner.php?partner_ID=82

Merry
27-09-11, 15:27
Universal British Directory 1791

Sheffield:

Clergy:
Naylor Rev Benjamin, dissenting minister

None of those other names appear in the (very long) list for Sheffield :(

Merry
27-09-11, 15:35
UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 (Ancestry)

3rd May 1784
George Naylor (master) of Wakefield in the County of York, woolstapler. Apprentice, Joseph Bedford.

HarrysMum
27-09-11, 20:13
Joanna Linfitt of West Molton I think maybe should be West Melton. I guess the Wm Linfitt mentioned is to do with her and we know the family were non-con.....so:

http://www.heritageinspired.org.uk/partner.php?partner_ID=82

Well that looks like the right Wm Linfitt.....lol

HarrysMum
27-09-11, 20:16
I just realised Origins.net is different to FMP...lol

I'll grab a month on Origins as soon as I've fed the 8 year old.

Uncle John
27-09-11, 20:37
In post #26, "Measborough" is probably Masborough, now a suburb of Rotherham.
But perhaps not, see post #31 which I hadn't read.

Janet
28-09-11, 04:28
OK, Libby, how about this one? Can you get into it? It's an 1823 gazetteer of Yorkshire with Naylors on 67 pages. Also Eyres galore.

http://books.google.com/books?id=d5xbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=George+Naylor+woolstapler&source=bl&ots=rM7s8FC2vt&sig=CBwgoR15MagWlJs7Xv53PU_o3Gc&hl=en&ei=di6CToL_Dabq0gGihryqAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFUQ6AEwCA

Kit
28-09-11, 05:18
I can read it Janet.

Janet
28-09-11, 05:20
Cool.

Janet
28-09-11, 06:20
What's this??? :confused:

"The Monthly Magazine; or, British Register, Vol. IX", pages 402, 596 and 601 have Naylors, including:

Seems to be headed "July 1, 1800." (straddling pages 600 and 601).

Married. At Leeds,[...] Mr. Naylor, of Cleckheaton, woolstapler, to Miss Armitage, of Woodhouse Hill.

http://books.google.com/books?id=P1AoAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA601&lpg=PA601&dq=George+Naylor+woolstapler&source=bl&ots=6AEJZT8oC4&sig=xIUcNuCb-qYmwgIqpSgr1441u6A&hl=en&ei=kLiCTr_DHqH30gHYq_2vAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAjge#v=onepage&q=Naylor&f=false

Merry
28-09-11, 07:16
Janet, that will be this one:

Elizabeth Armitage
Marriage 7 Jun 1800
Leeds, St Peter (Leeds Parish Church)
Spouse Richard Naylor
Occ woolstapler
By licence
Both of this parish!!!
witnesses Obadiah Brooke and Hannah S?arr

Merry
28-09-11, 07:37
lol!!

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-obediah-brooke

I'm getting distracted - there's loads about OB!

HarrysMum
28-09-11, 19:09
Thanks everyone.......I have been going through those links. A lot of the "Eyre" entries are actually for 'Eyre St' 'Eyre Lane' etc.

I need to find a will for Joseph Naylor of Ossett (in 1739 anyway) who had his son George baptised in Dewsbury in 1739.

Mary from Italy
29-09-11, 00:41
I don't have time to read the whole thread, but there's an old thread here that covers a lot of the same ground, which may be useful for reference:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7087&highlight=linfitt

I said on that thread:

I've been trying to extract a bit more information from the Google book snippet; the page number is 79, and the heading on that page is "Extracts from the Leeds Intelligencer, 1795", so I would guess that "of this town" means from Leeds.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=1CblTMSQH5DysgapsvmkCw&ct=result&id=yZhnAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22george+naylor%22+%22merchant+of+this+town%22&q=leeds+%22george+naylor%22+#search_anchor

Merry
29-09-11, 06:05
Leeds and Wakefield are about ten miles apart.