PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Ball progress

Cheshirelass73
24-09-11, 11:32
If any of you remember my previous threads.
I now have Joseph Ball's birth cert.
13 Nov 1862 Dawley Green Shropshire
father Joseph coal miner
mother Elizabeth formerly Jones.

So back to census records
Joseph Ball head age 29 iron miner
Elizabeth Ball wife age 26
Sarah Ball 6
James Ball 5
George Ball 3
Jane Ball 1
59 Meadow Well Lane Dawley

But all I can find in 1871 is
Joseph Ball Widower age 40
George Ball 12
Jane Ball 10
79 Little Dawley

Joseph would have been 9 so shouldn't have left home perhaps I have the wrong family.
Any help would be appreciated

Chris

kiterunner
24-09-11, 12:26
This is the previous thread, to save people from going over old ground:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=9886

The parents' marriage must be that Joseph Ball / Elisabeth Jones 26 Feb 1854 at Malinslee, Shropshire, which I found on FamilySearch. It is indexed as John Ball on the GRO index and Findmypast, though, but now we know Elizabeth's maiden name was definitely Jones it must be the right one.

Also we found a possible for Joseph jr on the 1871 census on that thread but listed under the name Jones, living with his grandparents, and with a Sarah of the right age. I'll have to check what the grandparents' names were but I'm thinking what you should do next is get the Joseph Ball / Elisabeth Jones marriage cert and see if the details of Elisabeth's father match the grandfather on that census entry, because of Jones being such a common name. It was quite common for children to go and live with their grandparents or other relative if their mother died when they were young, because their father wouldn't easily be able to look after them at the same time as earning a living.

Merry
24-09-11, 12:33
If they are not the same family, I can't see the 1871 family on the 1861 census! Most likely Joseph was either living elsewhere, but not recorded on the census, or when the enumerator moved to the next folio sheet he accidentally moved to the next household as well, thereby leaving out the rest of the family after Jane (which might have only been Joseph)

I should think one of these two is Joseph's mum:

Deaths Sep 1864
BALL Elizabeth Madeley 6a 400

Deaths Dec 1864
Ball Elizabeth Madeley 6a 423

Merry
24-09-11, 12:35
We cross posted Kate.

I didn't remember the old thread at all, but I do now!

kiterunner
24-09-11, 12:39
This is the family in 1871:
John Jones Head Mar 69 Labourer in Iron Works Shropshire Wellington
Mary Do Wife Mar 65 Do Madeley
Samuel Do Son U 24 Sheet Iron Roller Do Wellington
Sarah Do Grd Daur 16 Pit Bank Stone Picker Do Do
Joseph Do Grd Son 8 Scholar Do Dawley.

Just thought - does the 1854 marriage entry on Findmypast give any details of Elisabeth's father?

Merry
24-09-11, 12:50
It is indexed as John Ball on the GRO index and Findmypast

I can't find it on FMP.:o

Merry
24-09-11, 12:57
Ah.it's not on FMP - this is from the old thread:

Sorry, I got mixed up with my acronyms because it was a bit early in the morning for me!! I didn't mean an acronym at all (or at least not a whole one) - I meant FreeBMD :o

kiterunner
24-09-11, 13:17
D'oh! Sorry, I must not have re-read that bit!

Okay, then, I would suggest it's best to get a copy of the marriage from either Shropshire Record Office or their Register Office, in case the GRO copy of the cert was copied out wrong.

Record Office link:
http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

Register Office link:
Shropshire Register Office website (http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/registrar.nsf/open/39D35A88B90FA2F2802570F100513442)

Because you have the exact date of the marriage and the name of the church, either of these should be able to supply it, but you should make sure to say you're not sure whether the groom's name will be shown as John Ball or Joseph Ball so they don't say they can't find it because of the name being wrong!

Cheshirelass73
24-09-11, 14:06
Thanks for all you help x