View Full Version : West Yorkshire Parish Records

JBee
15-09-11, 14:54
on ancestry.

Have had a great time looking up one particular family but am a bit flumoxed

Henry Robinson and Lily Crowther got married on 11 Apr 1885 in Bradford

Henry was 21 and the son of Johnathan & Mary Robinson
Lily was 17 and daughter of William & Sarah Crowther

However they never seem to be together on census nights - 1891 Henry is with his parents and I haven't found him after that)

Yet on the 1911 census Lily says she's married but doesn't give the number of years. She says she's had 6 children of which 4 are alive. (I had 5 children with 4 alive) so 1 missing. The 5 I found all have Ingleson as a middle name?!!!

Annie 1891 - chr not found
John 1893 - parents Henry & Lily Robinson on birth certificate chr not found
Ida 1895 - 1897 - chr Henry & Lily Robinson
Elsie 1897 - chr Henry & Lily Robinson
Lily 1901 - no father given on birth certificate chr not found

Now looking at the parish records I've found an extra 4 children with parents Henry and Lily who all died as babies. None appear to have Ingleson as a middle name on the BDM.

Sarah Elizabeth b 1886
Ernest b 1888

Arthur b 1904
Mary Elizabeth b1904

So I haven't found any trace of Henry Robinson since 1891 - nor when he died. Can anyone shed any light and give their opinions of what the scenario was likely to have been??!!

Thanks

kiterunner
15-09-11, 15:05
The number of children on the 1911 census is supposed to be children of the present marriage, so it could be that only the first 6 were Henry's children. Maybe Lily jr had a different father? I've got to go out in a minute so I haven't got time to look at the baptisms now, but could it be that Arthur and Mary Elizabeth belong to a different couple?

JBee
15-09-11, 15:07
Thanks Kite - I did wonder whether any of them were actually Henry's?????

Merry
17-09-11, 12:58
I don't have time to look properly now, but in 1901 John H Ingleson (head married 39) has two children named John and Elsie Ingleson aged 7 and 3 with him and a housekeeper called Lily Robinson aged 33 and married!

So my guess is that any children with Ingleson as middle name are his, despite the baptism records!

Merry
17-09-11, 15:45
I see Mr Ingleson (now James, not John assuming it's the same man - his age carries through) is a lodger in 1911 too! He is still married too! lol)

Merry
17-09-11, 15:57
John Henry Ingleson (I think 1911 is incorrect) was b Leeds abt 1862 (there are two poss birth regs!) and married Sarah Ann Smith Mitchell in Bradford in 1884 (the marriage cert is on Ancestry West Yorks stuff).

She is on the 1891 and 1901 census (have not checked 1911) apparently living with someone called Henry Hodgson.

JBee
17-09-11, 16:50
Yes I saw that in 1901 yet in the 1911 census Lilly is the head with children Elsie and Lily and James?? Henry Ingleson is the lodger.

I've only got John and Lily's birth certificates, John has Henry Robinson as his father yet Lily has no father mentioned??!!

On Lily Robinson's death certificate she's down as the widow of Harry Robinson. (registered by daughter Annie).

JBee
17-09-11, 19:56
Oh thank you - didn't see you'd posted whilst I was writing.

Ah so John Ingleson was married as well - will go and have a look.

I was hoping to find out what happened to Henry Robinson after 1891 when he was with his parents were Jonathan and Mary in Primrose Hill.

Merry
17-09-11, 20:15
I think she was probably telling porkies about any children born to Henry Robinson. In 1891 (when presumably pregnant with Annie) she is a lodger in the house of Mason Ingleson and his brother, John H Ingleson! (Mason single and John H married)

Merry
17-09-11, 20:23
No luck finding Henry after 1891.

JBee
17-09-11, 22:18
Thanks for trying Merry, Kite.

I've just been following the Inglesons back and John's mother appears to have left her husband and was living as married to someone else.

I do wonder if Henry Robinson died (so many though) and no-one told Lilly or she couldn't admit to it with having more children!! lol. I've found one Harry Robinson died in 1892 in Bradford which might be worth checking out.