PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to eliminate mystery family!

Merry
14-09-11, 08:58
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

I am trying to eliminate this family (or if it's a miracle, include this new info on my OH's tree!)

Here they are in 1851:

2 Chapel St, Somerstown, St Pancras:

Ann Jeathero head wid 70 b St Giles
Francis Jeathero son unm 27? butcher b St Pancras
Hephzibah Jeathero dau 29 b St Pancras
Maria Kirkley serv unm Gen Serv b Cripplegate

HO107; Piece: 1496; Folio: 724; Page: 1

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=MDXHO107_1496_1496-1372&fn=Ann&ln=Jeathero&st=d&ssrc=&pid=2506648

I found them because I was looking for Hephzibah Packer b 7th June 1821 in St Pancras. Her mother was Ann/Hannah and her father Robert Packer who I believe was dead before 1836. Hephzibah was the second youngest of the known children of Robert and Ann/Hannah though I don't have a Francis but do have gaps in the family. Another problem is that if this is OH's family Hephzibah needs to fit in a marriage to a Mr Robinson between the census and 1854 when she remarried to James Beard. (I have never found the Robinson marriage)

I don't see why the above family should be mine, unless perhaps Mrs Packer had remarried and used her new surname for the rest of the family too. However, when I tried to eliminate them they refused to leave! I can't find anything else about them at all. I did wonder if the surname actually began with a L (Leather(s)?) but that didn't help.

Can you work out who they are?

If you think these people sound familiar it may be because of this previous thread

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=1022&highlight=hephzibah+packer

kiterunner
14-09-11, 09:18
The surname looks like Jeathers on that 1851 census, if that's any help.

Merry
14-09-11, 09:22
ooooh!! Forget all that a minute!!!

These below are quotes from the other thread. The Hephzibah I'm looking for was known as Harriet in later life, but I had given up looking for her as Harriet and moved to looking for Hephzibah again - hence this thread today.

I'm just wondering about this couple, Samuel and Harriet Robinson in 1851:

HO107; Piece: 1510; Folio: 440; Page: 35

I tried to find them/him in 1861 (to eliminate) and/or 1841 with no luck yet, but I have to go out now.

I can't see any likely marriages between a Samuel Robinson and a Harriet at all!

Exactly!

However, I just re-looked up one of the witnesses from Hephzibah/Harriet's second marriage - a person named Catharine Isabella Callen. I found her (again) on the 1851 census

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=MDXHO107_1510_1511-0351&fn=Catherine&ln=Callen&st=r&ssrc=&pid=2682016

but this time I turned the page to see if she had younger siblings. The next page has no more Callens, but the next household (same address) has the Samuel and Harriet Robinson mentioned above.

Moral - always check a few pages each way! lol

So, whoever the Jeatheros are they are most likely nothing to do with OH as Hephzibah Packer seems to already be Mrs Robinson! (even if I can't find her marriage)

Merry
14-09-11, 09:23
The surname looks like Jeathers on that 1851 census, if that's any help.

STOP!! lol (thanks though!)

kiterunner
14-09-11, 09:25
*stops*

Merry
14-09-11, 09:51
Samuel Robinson seems to be a mystery!

He really ought to die by 1854 and I don't see him in 1861, but then I don't see him in 1841 either (in England or Scotland!) Plus of course did he actually marry Harriet Hephzibah at all? (perhaps he already had a wife?)

Uncle John
14-09-11, 20:08
You need to remember that there was a massive upheaval in the 1850s in the area between Kentish Town and St Pancras as the Midland Railway extension to St Pancras was being built. The slum area of Cubitt Town was completely swept away. They built a big goods yard at Somers Town (now the site of the British Library).

Merry
14-09-11, 20:28
Do you think Samuel Robinson is under the goods yard? :eek:

Kit
15-09-11, 05:41
So for all missing people we can now wonder if they were living in or visiting Cubbit Town and got washed away.

Uncle John
15-09-11, 16:28
Do you think Samuel Robinson is under the goods yard? :eek:

His bones are indexed under "R" in the British Library.