PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Zealand Questions

Kit
14-09-11, 04:09
I'm trying to disprove a tree I found on ancestry while I'm waiting on the GRO website to work.

1. Could someone tell me if there is a way to seaarch passenger records to New Zealand by passenger, rather than by ship as I have no idea when the man may have arrived in NZ.

2. How long does it take for a death printout to arrive? The BMD site does not give any indication of how long it takes for an order to arrive. Also what info would I find on a death printout?

Muggins in Sussex
14-09-11, 05:48
Hi Toni

You can serach by name on this site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sooty/Passenger%20Lists%20to%20NZFrame1Source1.htm , which has some passenger lists, (not all that many) although the search results bring up everything the results for everything on the site, not just the passenger lists :confused:

It also gives some useful looking links, but haven't had time to look at them properly

Kit
14-09-11, 06:58
Thanks Joan, off to have a look.

KiwiChris
14-09-11, 07:02
There used to be a site where you could search an enormous number of ships by passenger name but it vanished a few years ago.

The information on NZ death certificates will vary depending on when the death occured. It should give the name, age, when and where died, profession, cause of death, the informant and the date registered.

After 1875 it will include the above plus names of parents, the birth details including where born and how long in NZ, marriage details including when and where, who to and the number of living children with sex and age but no names.
Of course all of this depends on what the informant knew. My most mystery man had "not known" to all those details as his death was registered by someone at the nursing home where he died, so that was a waste of $30 odd. However, my illegitimate great-grandmother had the name of her mystery father as her mother was present at the time.

Do you have an approximate date of arrival, as with other resources it may be possible to narrow the time down.

HarrysMum
14-09-11, 09:35
Just popping into this thread so I can find it again........for my own benefit....lol.

Sorry Kit.....

kiterunner
14-09-11, 10:51
1. Could someone tell me if there is a way to seaarch passenger records to New Zealand by passenger, rather than by ship as I have no idea when the man may have arrived in NZ.

They are indexed on the new FamilySearch site but I can't see the person you're looking for on there. But he could have gone to Australia first and from there to NZ?

Edit - just realised the index on FamilySearch isn't complete yet!

Kit
14-09-11, 12:56
Christine I have no idea when the man arrived in NZ. Sometime after 1843 and before 1881. ;)

I don't really want his death cert as that info would be provided by someone else. I'd rather his marriage cert or a child's birth cert as he should have provided the info.

Going back to when he arrived the man I believe to be him only shows on electoral rolls from 1880-1881. Whether that is when he arrived or became eligible to vote to enrolled to vote, I don't know.

maggie_4_7
14-09-11, 13:35
Oh I see now I assume this is the same man as on other thrrad!

Elderflower
14-09-11, 17:47
I ordered a cert earlier this year and was surprised it took about a week from me posting it off to receiving the cert. The cost worked out about the same as the UK certs, taking into account the exchange rate. The cert I had was a death cert and gave the info mentioned above. It was a relatively recent one.

If you know roughly when he died, have you had a look at the NZ cemetery records?
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~shipstonz/cemeteries.html

and NZ Newspapers?
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

I have found lots of info on both sites.

Pat

HarrysMum
14-09-11, 19:59
If it's any help Toni....

I have my great grandparents marriage cert from NZ, 1883. It gives the birthplace of both bride and groom (Kerry and Cork, Ireland) but no inkling as to when they arrived in NZ.

I'm not sure if their death certs of 1930s would give that info as I stupidly haven't bought them yet.

Uncle John
14-09-11, 20:04
I would say it's most unlikely that a ship would sail from UK to NZ in the mid-1800s. By far the biggest traffic was Liverpool to Melbourne, with some sailing on to Sydney and a much smaller number on to Brisbane.

Margaret in Burton
14-09-11, 21:19
I would say it's most unlikely that a ship would sail from UK to NZ in the mid-1800s. By far the biggest traffic was Liverpool to Melbourne, with some sailing on to Sydney and a much smaller number on to Brisbane.

My 2 x great grandfathers sister emigrated to New Zealand c 1842. Her name was Eliza Williams nee Newey.

Her and her husband had a child who died at sea in 1842 on route from Cape Town to New Zealand.

They had another child born in Wellington, NZ in 1842.

Information from her 3 x great grandson and my 4th cousin (once removed) in NZ

Kit
15-09-11, 02:23
Yes Maggie I seem to have several threads about this man.

Thanks for the info Pat. I could live with a week, just. lol I have found the NZ man in the cemetery and newspaper death notice but there is not enough info to prove or disprove anything.

Thanks UJ and Marg. There are obviously multiple ways to NZ and none of his rellies seem to have worked out how he got there.

Libby Kate has found a lady who claims him as he great grandfather on genforum. She states that the marriage cert gives different names for Joseph's parents than are recorded on the death cert. The death cert has the parents I have for my Joseph. So there is some discrepancy, and I'm tending to think he knows who his parents are but I can't find them anywhere. lol