Ann Holmes

Date and place of birth
Abt 1781 North Creake Norfolk as per census detail can’t find in freereg at all

Names of parents
???

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
??? cannot find it

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
18 July 1803 St Mary’s Docking to John Callaby from Pallots and freereg, witnesses Thoms Callaby and Thomas Bird

Occupation(s) - if any
???

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!)
1841 Docking Norfolk
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 782; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Docking; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 14; Page: 21; Line: 2; GSU roll: 438865.

1851 142 Paradise Lane Docking Norfolk
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1827; Folio: 487; Page: 34; GSU roll: 207482.

1861 Old Workhouse Docking
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 1250; Folio: 60; Page: 23; GSU roll: 542783

Date, place and cause of death
April 1863,

Date and place of burial.
8 April aged 82
County Norfolk Docking St Mary’s Reg number 1533 Ann Callaby aged 82
File number 18650

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any
???

kiterunner
11-09-11, 23:40
It looks as though the North Creake records (PR's and AT's) are incomplete, though I haven't delved into the Bishop's Transcripts yet to see if there are any in there. There are a couple of Holmes families having children around the right time - Jeremiah Holmes and Elizabeth Hendry, but they got married in 1783; Thomas Holmes and Elizabeth Judd, who got married in Brandon in Suffolk in 1773. I see that your Ann had children named Thomas and Elizabeth, among many others, but those are such common names it doesn't really prove anything! Maybe if we dig around tomorrow we can find some more clues.

borobabs
11-09-11, 23:44
Cheers Kate she is doing my head in now been at her all day today lol , just got map of norfolk to see how far the dif places are to each other , as there is 4 on freereg but cannot make any fit her ;;

kiterunner
12-09-11, 10:15
There don't seem to be any Bishop's Transcripts for the years around 1780-1.

borobabs
12-09-11, 10:55
Dam , do you think any of those from freereg fit her Kate or not Im not sure of where the places are as from Docking and North Creake ,,
will be back later babysitting this morning

kiterunner
12-09-11, 12:18
None of the ones I can see on FreeREG look very likely, Babs. But I think her parents are likely to be Thomas Holmes and Elizabeth Judd who married 7 Feb 1773 at Brandon in Suffolk, because there seems to be a big gap between their marriage and the baptisms of their children at North Creake. Of course if they had children baptised in Suffolk we most likely wouldn't find them as not many Suffolk PR's are online yet.

The North Creake PR's on FamilySearch include an alphabetical index of baptisms which has an entry for Holmes but with no first name or date, which isn't very helpful. Then there is a "Church Book" with baptisms, burials and marriages mixed in together with other stuff, but it looks as though a lot of entries are missing, for instance 1775 says "Christenings - several" with no names!

There is a Thomas Holmes baptised 9 Feb 1783 with no parents' names given, and a Mary Holmes baptised 21 Sep 1785. (Mary Holmes d of Thomas Holmes and Elizabeth his wife late Judd born Sept 15 bapt Sept 21 Recd Oct 23.)

Then looking through the Archdeacon's Transcripts, there is a gap between 1754 and 1785, so not much use. There is a Martin Holmes born 22 Nov 1787 and baptised 27 Jan 1788, son of Thomas Holmes and his wife Elizabeth late Judd. And there is a James Holmes, same parents, privately baptised 15 Nov 1789, received into the church 25 Dec 1789.

So I suspect that Ann belongs to this family, but we need to find something to prove it.

borobabs
12-09-11, 13:42
Thats very true and thanks for your help Kate , do you know that name Judd rings a bell but dont know if already i my tree or have seen it in someone elses ;;;of to nosy min ;;
Right not in my tree so must have seen it elsewhere of to GR then yuk and flick roud ancestry trees , it might have come in as match for tree and I have discarded it

Phoenix
14-09-11, 15:51
A Jeremiah Holmes - grandfather? - left a will:

Holmes, Jeremiah, of North Creake 1782 ANF, will register, 1779-1782, fo. 432, (1782, no. 18)

borobabs
14-09-11, 16:32
Wow Phoenix how do I get that can I download it or do I have to send for it ??? thanks
Dont know where to start with ordering doing wills 1st time known any of my lot to leave one

Phoenix
14-09-11, 16:46
There is no guarantee that he would name a tiny grand-daughter - if that is the relationship - so it might be wise to hold fire for the moment.

No idea how much they charge - or the current quality of the photocopies - but you would have to contact Norfolk Record Office. They should at least be able to give you a quote.

My browser doesn't like the NROCAT site, but you could probably scroll through Holmes references to see if there is anything else of interest.

I wonder if they were a farming family? I have got families, similar area and date who are an absolute pain because they dart between Norfolk, Cambs and Suffolk (and are probably non-con too!)

Phoenix
14-09-11, 17:14
On the NROCAT website, choose "set searches" and look up North Creake for parish records.

They say that while the registers don't survive, transcriptions which cover the period do!

You planning a visit to Norfolk, Bbas?

borobabs
14-09-11, 19:27
Nope I wish is that the only way to get it then , what a dam shame ;;just my luck

Margaret in Burton
14-09-11, 19:44
Nope I wish is that the only way to get it then , what a dam shame ;;just my luck

email them and ask Babs

borobabs
14-09-11, 20:47
Yes Im going to Marg see what they say ,carnt do it till amorrow now unless get chance later on ;;;

borobabs
15-09-11, 17:13
Phoenix thanks for that Norfolk records office have got back to me and said usually wills take 3/4 sheet paper so will do copy at £1.50 + postage package and handling so I'm well chuffed

Phoenix
15-09-11, 17:39
Babs, I do hope there is a decimal point in there somewhere!

borobabs
15-09-11, 19:04
Lol oh gosh there had better be off to alter it or it will put people of getting one

borobabs
29-09-11, 19:53
Just to let you know I got the will this afternoon , post was late cost £5 + coppers I have 30 days to pay , hey that good of them to do it that way I was waiting for mail to say pay up front ;;also it only took up page and half ,
My 1st will havnt even had time to look at it yet;;

edit gosh isnt the writing terrible on them ,,arg but see his wife is Martha sure that is it , will have to scan and see better me thinks