PDA

View Full Version : USA immigration look up please

Asa
10-09-11, 08:10
I've come across a tree that says an Ann Mary Snow, wife of Thomas, sailed to the US in 1832 and that it gives her birthdate and place (1812 Clerkenwell). Of course I didn't come across this when I had free access last week....so I'd be grateful if anyone could check this for me.

JBee
10-09-11, 08:58
Not having much luck.

Found a Thomas Snow arriving in 1832 but not Ann Mary so far.

maggie_4_7
10-09-11, 09:13
I can't find her either.

kiterunner
10-09-11, 10:17
You could try contacting the tree owner and ask them where they found their info?

Asa
10-09-11, 10:56
Thanks everyone. I'll go back and check the tree

Asa
10-09-11, 11:03
Ah, the husband's profile has a source - New York, 1820-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists and the arrival date is given as 28 Feb 1832 in New York but then the son - supposedly born en route - has a birthdate of 25 Jun 1832. So I think there's some surmising going on. Sorry if it's wasted anyone's time.

Kite, I'm not very keen on contacting people these days if I can avoid it :-)

kiterunner
10-09-11, 11:07
It was quite common for the husband to go on ahead to sort out accommodation etc and the wife and children to follow on a bit later, so that's possible. But I had a look through the attached records on various trees and the various people they had found arriving supposed to be Ann Mary don't look right, ages way out.

Asa
10-09-11, 11:17
I appreciate you looking - she's given this specific birthdate and place on several trees 31 May 1812 in Clerkenwell and parentage as William and Ann Monks. William and Ann had four daughters that I'm aware of and I can account for three of them. The remaining daughter was born 1 Oct 1809 and baptised as Mary Ann 22 Oct 1809 at St Mary Moorfields RC. I'm assuming this is Ann Mary. I must go and look at the Monks - Snow marriage.

kiterunner
10-09-11, 12:14
I appreciate you looking - she's given this specific birthdate and place on several trees 31 May 1812 in Clerkenwell and parentage as William and Ann Monks.

That could just be because someone put it on their tree and then everyone else copied it. I've lost count of the number of times I've disproved something that appears in loads of public trees!

kiterunner
10-09-11, 12:23
I would say if you want to get the facts right about this family, we need to find a birth record for one of Thomas and Ann's children that gives mother's maiden name - or maybe a marriage or death record as those sometimes give mother's maiden name in the US, though of course not always accurately.

The marriage that all the trees give for Thomas and Ann is Thomas Snow / Ann Monks 31 Oct 1831 at Hackney St John. But they all give their names as Thomas Price Snow and Ann Mary Monks whereas they have no middle names on the marriage record. Also there is no mention of Ann being a minor, though that doesn't prove she was definitely over 21. Witnesses are John Daniels and Ann Daniels, in case that turns out to help somewhere along the line. I can't see any London baptisms for children of this Thomas and Ann, nor see them on the 1841 or 1851 census, so they could well be the couple who emigrated to the US. Ann claims to be 36 on the 1850 US census but may well have knocked a few years off her age.

Asa
10-09-11, 12:31
I've been looking at the witnesses but no-one jumps out as being a connection to my side (the Monks). I think you're right that someone's come up with a birthdate and the rest have copied it - certainly can't see any evidence for it.

I've been looking at Thomas and Mary/ Ann Snows who didn't emigrate but that hasn't really got me anywhere.

I haven't done any signicant US research - is there much chance of finding a birth record with mms? I did look at the 1880 US census and she's there as Anna M Snow. I wonder if Thomas acquired the Price later - I have a direct ancestor who did that in London. Although baptised as Mary Ann, Ann's following sibling was Mary Elizabeth - Mary on census - so unless she died young I assume she was known as Ann.

Interestingly there's another Snow Monks marriage but the bride isn't one of mine I don't think.

Asa
10-09-11, 12:36
Sorry, I should mention - there's a will on Ancestry, William Monks 1829 - this is Ann Mary's father. She inherits the best bed etc, followed by Mary Ann (actually Mary Elizabeth) who gets the second best bed and so on. So the eldest daughter Ann Mary does survive

kiterunner
10-09-11, 13:41
I haven't done any signicant US research - is there much chance of finding a birth record with mms?

It just seems to depend on the state. The Snows' children were born and married and died in quite a few different states so let's hope! I did have a quick look earlier and didn't spot anything.