PDA

View Full Version : Mary Grant

Jill
09-09-11, 12:56
Mother of Edmund Harwood
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10453&highlight=edmund+harwood

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Mary Grant

Date and place of birth
c1757 (from age at burial)

Names of parents
n/k

Baptism
n/k

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any - and any divorces
24 Feb 1778, Thakeham, Sussex to Thomas Harwood

Occupation(s) - if any
-

Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on, if applicable.
Thakeham (marriage)
Sutton, Sussex (bap of children 1779-1803)

Date, place and cause of death
Jan 1830 Sutton, Sussex

Date and place of burial / cremation.
21 Jan 1830 Sutton Sussex age 73

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
n/k, unlikely

Memorial inscription - if any
None, graveyard searched.

kiterunner
10-09-11, 16:16
FamilySearch has a Mary Grant baptism 31 Oct 1756 at Shermanbury, parents Richard and Sarah. Did your Mary name any child Richard or Sarah?

Jill
11-09-11, 17:17
Thanks for looking Kiterrunner, no children with those names, hers were Mary, Thomas, Eleanor, Henry, Elizabeth, Ann, Frances, another Mary and Edmund. I shall make a note, though Shermanbury is quite far distant from where they married.

Jill
04-09-17, 09:01
I've just found her husband's will of 1813, probate 1817. He directed that she should "have and enjoy her Widow’s Bench in my Customary or Copyhold Messuage or Tenement Garden Orchard Ground and Seven Acres of Land" together with two cows and all his stock in trade for her lifetime (he was a blacksmith) so she could continue the business for the benefit of their two youngest children who were not of age, together with the use of all the household effects. On her death or remarriage all would be sold to pay off the mortgage and any residue split between their 9 children.

Land tax documents for Sutton show she was owner/occupier until 1829 (the year before her death) and in 1830 she was the owner and her son Henry, also a blacksmith was her tenant.