PDA

View Full Version : Australian stuff

Asa
04-09-11, 07:47
I've got two brothers James and Andrew Swayn(e) (also Swaine, Swan etc) appearing in trees on Ancestry as having emigrated from Scotland to Victoria, Australia. They were born 1815 and 1827 in Kennoway Fife.

I've been looking through the free stuff available on Ancestry without any joy, although I'm not very experienced at this, and not having much luck. What I'm most interested in at this point is that these trees all have the mother's date of death as 1829 when I have her burial record from SP in 1845 - is this a copied guess or would it have come from a son's death cert or something?

Merry
04-09-11, 08:53
I know I've used the online Victoria BMD indexes to "prove" whether a particular death is the right one by entering information in various boxes and seeing if the entry still comes up in the results. Depending on the date of death the indexes hold data on the parents (inc mother's maiden surname) so if you have that info (and they do! lol) then you may be able to work out if you are looking at the correct death entry.

I can't help with your actual question :o:o:o :) sorry!

Asa
04-09-11, 08:58
Thanks Merry - the mother's name was quite unusual so that will at least tell me if they've got the right people :) Which they have

kiterunner
04-09-11, 10:34
What I'm most interested in at this point is that these trees all have the mother's date of death as 1829 when I have her burial record from SP in 1845 - is this a copied guess or would it have come from a son's death cert or something?

The son's death cert won't say when his mother died; I would think it's a copied guess. Some people seem to put the last date that they know for sure someone was alive in as their date of death.

Asa
04-09-11, 10:49
Great, thank you :)

marquette
04-09-11, 21:40
In my ancestry tree, I had put in the death box Aft 1852 and as place - wtiness at brothers wedding - which several other people have copied and shows up as died 1852 in a place called Wedding in Germany !!!!.

I have now found the ladys death in 1921, and corrected my own tree but will leave the others to find out, if they are ever doing any further research on Elizabeth Mary .........

The other ancestry trees show that no-one else has found her marriage or linked her brothers and parents to the same person in the family trees of her descendents. So no one else is actively doing any research on either family, which is a shame, as I would love to share my info, but I am not going to just tell all those tree-copiers.

Di

Kit
05-09-11, 01:48
In my tree, not on ancestry, I put the date of death as aft 1911, if, for example, the last time I found them was on the 1911 census. At times I then go through my tree and try to 'kill' people off. Having 'aft year' helps me as that way I know I am looking after that date and I don't have to work out when I last found the person. The family tree program, FTM, thinks that the person died in 1911.

In your case though I'd say people have copied one another and the original entry didn't know when she died. If you have the death from SP and you are confident that it is your woman then I would ignore the ancestry trees.

Asa
05-09-11, 05:44
Thanks both :) I used to do that but I stopped after uploading a tree somewhere and I lost the AFT/ BEF and ended up with a lot of years of death I had to delete