PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Wallis

Merry
03-09-11, 13:17
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Am I the only person still using this site to find stuff on the IGI:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Yesterday and today when I enter a surname I just get an error message:

HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found

What about you?

ElizabethHerts
03-09-11, 13:18
I used it the other day, Merry, and it worked OK.

Margaret in Burton
03-09-11, 13:23
That link worked fine for me. Mind you a few days ago I had the same message as you so got in by Googling Hugh Wallis.

Merry
03-09-11, 13:27
Hmmmm....right...I will continue playing.

Thanks

Merry
03-09-11, 13:33
I find it very annoying that the results seem to now be displayed via the new FS site. :mad::mad::mad:

Margaret in Burton
03-09-11, 14:11
Just tried again and now I'm getting

HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found

The link takes you to the Hugh Wallis site but then when you put in a surname you get the error massage.

Margaret in Burton
03-09-11, 14:13
Here is a link to the old Family Search IGI site:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

I suppose copying the batch number and then pasting that into the site would be an alternative.

edit:

Even that doesn't work, it takes you to the new site. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Margaret in Burton
03-09-11, 14:18
It seems the only way to use the old site is to do it without batch numbers.

Merry
03-09-11, 14:26
Depressing, isn't it?

Looking at Smiths on the new site is doing my head in as there are so many that are completely out of the date range I requested, but I have to open each one to discover that. I am about to give up :mad:

JBee
03-09-11, 14:29
Just had a go and couldn't get any results for the batch no I put in.

Merry
03-09-11, 14:31
If they had new records I wish they had just added them to the old site!

The only benefit I can see with the new site is you can do a search with less filled fields - the type that get rejected on the old site, but other than that the old site is still much better for me.

kiterunner
03-09-11, 17:10
If they had new records I wish they had just added them to the old site!

I think one of the reasons that they set up the new site was because the old one wouldn't have been able to cope with all the new databases.

Merry
03-09-11, 20:21
I just wish I could choose to see only the entries that fit the criteria I asked for. If I ask for entries in Hertfordshire I'd rather be told there are none than have to wade through a load in other counties wondering if there are some further down the list.

Mary from Italy
03-09-11, 20:45
Aren't you ticking the checkbox for the county?

Merry
03-09-11, 21:03
Erm...............No :o

I don't see one anywhere????? :o:o:o

Asa
04-09-11, 07:49
I've pretty much given up using the new site because it just makes me tired :I

Merry
04-09-11, 08:19
Yes, me too!

Oakum Picker
04-09-11, 08:26
Me three!!!

Olde Crone
04-09-11, 08:31
Makes me CRY.

OC

Merry
04-09-11, 08:40
I could probably cope with EITHER being given results outside the criteria requested OR having to click each entry to see what the date of each one is, but not BOTH at the same time. :mad:

I also don't like the way, when looking at the initial list of results it's not always clear who are the parents and who is the child until the entry is opened.

ElizabethHerts
04-09-11, 08:42
I could probably cope with EITHER being given results outside the criteria requested OR having to click each entry to see what the date of each one is, but not BOTH at the same time. :mad:

I also don't like the way, when looking at the initial list of results it's not always clear who are the parents and who is the child until the entry is opened.

It's totally aggravating - you can get two or three separate entries for one event - e.g. one for the child, one for the mother, one for the father.

I also hate having to click to see the date.

Merry
04-09-11, 08:47
It's totally aggravating - you can get two or three separate entries for one event - e.g. one for the child, one for the mother, one for the father.

Oooh yes, I forgot that :mad:

Margaret in Burton
04-09-11, 08:48
I haven't done any research for ages and part of the reason is the new site. It's just too hard to use.

Does anyone prefer it?

Asa
04-09-11, 08:49
I quite liked the Beta site :)

Merry
04-09-11, 08:54
Yes, me too. They sttll gave the results one for mum, one for dad and one for child, but at least if you asked for a place, all the entries would be for that place!

kiterunner
04-09-11, 10:30
I wouldn't exactly say I prefer the new site, but I wouldn't say I preferred the old one either - with the old one it always seemed that either I got more results than it could list, or an error message saying "if you do a parent search, you cannot specify any other field except the parents' names", or something like that. There are certainly a lot of improvements that need to be made to the new site yet.

Mary from Italy
04-09-11, 12:13
Erm...............No :o

I don't see one anywhere????? :o:o:o

When you use the advanced search:

https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

there's a checkbox next to First names, Last name and Place.

If you don't tick the checkbox, it acts a bit like a soundex search for the names (which is sometimes useful), because you get variants.

If you do tick the checkboxes, you should only get results for the exact name or place you specify.

However, even when you do that, they'll offer a load of other results which may or may not be useful. The ones you've asked for appear first, then there's a heading with a brown background saying "None of these results strongly match what you searched for. The following results may still be of interest" followed by results which are a partial match.

If you're still getting too many results before the brown heading, you can specify which collection you want to search by clicking on Collections; e.g. choose Births, Marriages and Deaths to eliminate all the census results. There are also various other filters that I haven't tried yet.

Mary from Italy
04-09-11, 12:18

I also hate having to click to see the date.

Yes, those are the two main things I dislike about the new site.

It'd also be useful if the film number was hyperlinked so you could immediately see the source of the entry.

Merry
04-09-11, 14:08
there's a checkbox next to First names, Last name and Place.

Now I feel exceptionally stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have lost count of the number of times I have entered the forename, clicked tab, entered the surname, only to find I am in that little box, as I should have clicked tab twice to get to the surname field. I had never considered what that little box actually is :rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Thank you for explaining!! lol

Mary from Italy
04-09-11, 14:41
No problem, it took me a while to notice, too :)

Margaret in Burton
04-09-11, 14:42
Now I feel exceptionally stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have lost count of the number of times I have entered the forename, clicked tab, entered the surname, only to find I am in that little box, as I should have clicked tab twice to get to the surname field. I had never considered what that little box actually is :rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Thank you for explaining!! lol

Me too. I had never seen that either

Asa
04-09-11, 17:15
Or me :-)

Kit
05-09-11, 01:53
Don't worry, I've seen it and it doesn't always seem to help.

Merry the link worked for me but I get an error when I search.