PDA

View Full Version : William MILLS

Lindsay
02-09-11, 16:08
This is part of the family I'm not 100% on - while they seem to fit, I've never quite found enough to be sure.

Here's the link to William's daughter in TOGG3:
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10570&highlight=elizabeth+mills

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
William Mills
Date and place of birth
Names of parents
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
All unknown
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Probably married Ann (surname unknown), presumably before December 1793 when daughter Elizabeth (the only child I've found) was born in the parish of St George in the East, Stepney
Occupation(s) - if any
On Elizabeth's baptism it's not very clear but looks like 'Waith Mr' - possibly wharf master? Other opinions welcome! http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1624&path=Tower+Hamlets.St+George+in+the+East.1777-1794.152&sid=&gskw=&cr=1
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1793 Ratcliffe Highway, Stepney on daughter's baptism
1796 William Mills was elected Headborough in St George in the East according to research my cousin did some years ago
1810 and 1814 I checked the Land Tax Assessments at LMA and found a William Mills on Ratcliffe Highway but I don't know how to prove this is my man.
Date, place and cause of death
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any
All unknown except he was still alive 1809 when he gave permission for his daughter to marry

kiterunner
05-09-11, 12:34
Ancestry has an entry in the London Wills and Probate for William Mills 15th May 1818 and it is definitely the right person, because at the beginning it says "Appeared personally Elizabeth Day... wife of William Day Gentleman the Daughter and Residuary Legatee". There are 13 pages altogether (though some are blank, but then some are double pages) so hopefully it will tell you lots of stuff!

Merry
05-09-11, 17:12
Are you sure Elizabeth's baptism is on that page?? (I can't see it :o:o:o)

kiterunner
05-09-11, 17:15
It's on the right-hand page, Merry.

Merry
05-09-11, 17:20
I'm not getting a right hand page! I knew it was 29th Dec coz I looked at the other thread.

Can you read it kate? That would save me struggling!

kiterunner
05-09-11, 17:35
No, but here it is:

maggie_4_7
05-09-11, 17:41
Lindsay

The occupation is Watch Maker.

Merry
05-09-11, 17:49
lol!! I just spent ages finding her under "Elisabeth Miles" and then I get back here too late!

Merry
05-09-11, 18:37
Ancestry has an entry in the London Wills and Probate for William Mills 15th May 1818 and it is definitely the right person, because at the beginning it says "Appeared personally Elizabeth Day... wife of William Day Gentleman the Daughter and Residuary Legatee". There are 13 pages altogether (though some are blank, but then some are double pages) so hopefully it will tell you lots of stuff!

The address for him on the doc Kate found is the same as on this burial the previous year:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1559&iid=31280_194838-00360&fn=William&ln=Mills&st=d&ssrc=&pid=9117903

So now we know he was born about 1739!

Merry
05-09-11, 19:55
The burial was 22nd Nov and he died 19th according to page 6 of the will.

Lindsay
05-09-11, 20:00
Goodness, what a lot you've found!

I've just got in from work and I have an early start tomorrow so no time to look at this now, but I'll catch up with it as soon as I can.

Thank you for looking!

maggie_4_7
06-09-11, 18:35
Here is the link to the will that Kiterunner found

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=1&gsfn=william&gsln=mills&sx=&f15=&f17=&rg_81004401__date=1818&rs_81004401__date=0&f21=&f23=&gskw=&prox=1&db=londwills&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=36&fh=0&h=394698&recoff=8+9

Have you had a chance to look at it it's quite a long one.

Lindsay
06-09-11, 20:53
Yes, Maggie, I've had a chance to look at this now:)

Thanks to you lovely people, I've got William's Will, death and burial; his wife's death (she was obviously dead when he wrote his will which narrowed it down) and her age at death.

I like the sound of William :) He left his tools to the journeyman who lived with him, and gave him the right to stay in his house till the end of the 4 year lease. The journeyman also got the profit of all stock sold in his shop for the next 2 years, though he had to pay William's daughter Elizabeth the cost price.

No other relatives mentioned; everything else went to Elizabeth - looks like she was the only child of rather elderly parents (though that does make me wonder why they let her marry before her 16th birthday!)

I'm one very happy bunny :D:D

Merry
06-09-11, 21:07
Oooh, which death did you decide was Ann's? (sorry to be nosy, but I struggled with that and gave up eventually!!)

Lindsay
06-09-11, 21:10
I reckon it's probably this one:
St George in the East, Ann Mills, Ratcliff Highway, 5 Dec 1814, age 54

It means she was about 20 years younger than William, and was in her 30s when Elizabeth was born.

Nosy is good :D:D

Merry
06-09-11, 21:22
Oooh, that's not one of the ones I saw!! Sounds right with that address - that was the problem for me - the ones I looked at were all other addresses.

I wonder if Wm was previously married? Looking difficult to find a marriage :(

Merry
06-09-11, 21:48
a2a:

MS 11936/397/619497 9 October 1793

These documents are held at Guildhall Library

Contents:
Insured: William Mills, 141 Ratcliff Highway, watch maker and silversmith

Lindsay
07-09-11, 18:06
Ooh, do you know if the original document would contain any more info than that?

I haven't spotted a likely William/Ann marriage; and if he was married before, any children weren't mentioned in the Will.

Merry
07-09-11, 18:19
I don't know about the insurance doc as I've never seen one.

Actually it's possible they were both married before! As you say, apparently no surviving children except Elizabeth, but there still might have been others born, or even a childless marriage.

kiterunner
07-09-11, 18:31
Yes, the insurance docs can give you lots of info, what exactly was insured and how much for. So you might get a list of buildings and their contents and value.

Lindsay
07-09-11, 18:58
Yes, the insurance docs can give you lots of info, what exactly was insured and how much for. So you might get a list of buildings and their contents and value.

Looks like I need to add a trip to the Guildhall to my 'to-do' list :D

kiterunner
07-09-11, 19:03
You should check first whether they are still at the Guildhall Library or if they've been moved to the LMA. I ordered copies of some Sun Fire insurance documents from the Guildhall Library a few years ago and they were very cheap, but I can't see where to order now, and I'm wondering if that's because they aren't there any more.

Lindsay
07-09-11, 19:05
Yes, you might be right, I was just looking and found this:

Please note that Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section is administered by the London Metropolitan Archives: City of London (archon code 74) and no longer operates as a separate archive repository. All records formerly held by this office are now administered by London Metropolitan Archives but a few important archives continue to be housed and consulted at Guildhall Library

Looks like it might be the LMA then. Though the online catalogue does say they're at the Guildhall Library.

Think I'd better email to check...

Lindsay
13-09-11, 13:09
In case anyone else is interested in the Sun Fire Insurance records, I've just had a reply from the Guildhall library confirming that they have been moved to the LMA (the website still says they're at the Guildhall)