PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Wills

Rusty
31-08-11, 19:43
I'm a bit confused, I've found two Wills or Probate Records on Ancestry, where do I go from here? One is dated 1935 and the other 1936, one says 'Administration' and the other says 'Probate London' naming the son and a Solicitor.

Is it possible to down-load a copy from somewhere? Or, do I have to post off? If so where do I send my application and how much does it cost?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but it's the first time that I've ventured into this part of family history.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Margaret

Merry
31-08-11, 21:24
Hi Margaret,

if you take a look at post #2 on this thread:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=11467

you will find a link which should help. :)

kiterunner
31-08-11, 21:57
"Administration" means there is no will, unless it actually says "Administration with the will" or similar.

MargaretMarch
01-09-11, 10:56
You can write with a check form £5 for each entry to your local probate office whose address you can find on the HM Courts site.
I regularly do this with my local registry for wills anywhere in the country.
Margaret

scuda
01-09-11, 11:03
I think wills are now £6.

scuda

Rusty
01-09-11, 13:48
Thank you Merry, Kiterunner, Margaret and Scuda, I hope that I've done everything correctly, I've just got to write out the cheque and post it, then twiddle my thumbs until hopefully the Will arrives.

The 1935 entry was for his wife, she only had £62 10s so I don't suppose she would have bothered about a Will, although other women in the family did, mind you they had Money and some managed to outlive their husbands!

Margaret.

MargaretMarch
01-09-11, 21:36
I think wills are now £6.

scuda

Thanks for reminding me scuda - it's a little while since I ordered one but I have seen it before that they have gone up to £6 - senior memory not as good as it was :o
Margaret

ElizabethHerts
02-09-11, 07:16
Early wills can be cheaper. I got two last week from Wiltshire and they cost me £6.75 for the two of them (it depended on the number of pages to be photocopied).

Merry
02-09-11, 07:22
Early wills can be cheaper.

Yes, and quicker too! I ordered one from Essex RO the other day and it came by return and cost £3.80.

ElizabethHerts
02-09-11, 07:41
Yes, Merry, mine came by return of post too. Some of the wills on the Wiltshire Archives website can be downloaded directly.

Kit
02-09-11, 08:33
My sister went to London house in April and they were 5 pounds each. I printed off the online form for mailing and also the ancestry info re the probate calendar. She was in and out in 5 minutes.

MargaretMarch
02-09-11, 11:19
I know some of the pre 1858 wills are online at the national archives site and they cost £3.50 to download.
Margaret