PDA

View Full Version : Post 1858 wills help

Merry
30-08-11, 10:00
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

I need to order a post 1858 will and I need the copy yesterday :cool: I know York take forever so wanted to order it from the place Marg gets hers from!!

Any ideas?

And are they still £5?

kiterunner
30-08-11, 10:03
It isn't York any more, Merry, it's Leeds, and they're £6 now. But they do take quite a long time from there.

Details on this link (scroll down):
Probate Service (http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/probate/standing-searches.htm)

Merry
30-08-11, 10:13
Thanks Kate!!

I supposed Leeds take as long as York?!!

Merry
30-08-11, 10:30
What do those abreviations after the name of the exor in the death duty indexes mean? Looks like "sp & ano".

If I have a death in 1859 and an entry in the death duty index in 1860 does that mean the Probate office will only need to check those two years for the will etc?

I just printed off the order form but my printer thinks it is an image of lots of scattered black blobs for some reason!!

ElizabethHerts
30-08-11, 10:40
I'm not sure what they mean, Merry. Do you think it is something to do with where the executor lived? The ones without the letters state a different place of abode.

ElizabethHerts
30-08-11, 10:42
sp - same place ?

Merry
30-08-11, 10:54
Could be! I was thinking it was something in latin! lol

Someone doesn't want me to buy this will. I am on my 5th attempt at getting the form printed. :mad:

Merry
30-08-11, 11:00
6th attempt....

7th attempt...

I could take the train to Holborn easier than this!

Mary from Italy
30-08-11, 11:25
My printer does that too with probate forms. I just fill in the bits it can't cope with by hand (it's just a couple of check boxes if I remember rightly).

I generally use the Cardiff sub-registry, and they're pretty quick, but I think they have to contact Leeds if you don't have the date of probate. It should still be quicker than ordering directly from Leeds, though. I believe somebody said Birmingham's quick, too.

Merry
30-08-11, 11:26
Managed to print the form at attempt 9 and third computer!!

Where are my stamps? *hunts*

Margaret in Burton
30-08-11, 11:44
I order mine from the Birmingham probate office. I have never used anywhere else.

Merry
30-08-11, 11:51
How long do Cardiff and Birmingham take?

I don't know the date of probate as Ancestry don't have 1858 and 1860 on their index. It's going to be one of those years :(

Margaret in Burton
30-08-11, 12:25
How long do Cardiff and Birmingham take?

I don't know the date of probate as Ancestry don't have 1858 and 1860 on their index. It's going to be one of those years :(

First time I applied to Birmingham I sent for 10 wills and received them in just over a week. It has got a bit slower since then. No more than 3 weeks though.

Merry
30-08-11, 12:32
That's really good isn't it? The only problem is I don't have the probate date (did you for your 10?) So if they have to ask Leeds for that then I'm no better off. Leeds say four weeks - I could have got this will five years ago, but I thought there wasn't one - I am now feeling impatient! lol

ElizabethHerts
30-08-11, 12:33
First time I applied to Birmingham I sent for 10 wills and received them in just over a week. It has got a bit slower since then. No more than 3 weeks though.

Merry's fingernails will be bitten to the quick if it takes 3 weeks!;)

Merry
30-08-11, 12:33
Who lives in Holborn??????!

ElizabethHerts
30-08-11, 12:36
Who lives in Holborn??????!

Or rather, who works near Holborn?
My daughter used to work at the British Museum, which isn't too far away, but she's at South Ken now.

Merry
30-08-11, 12:42
lol Elizabeth!!

I think I will post my form today anyway. A few weeks isn't much on top of five years! I just found a post on GR about the death of this ancestor and that was dated 2005.

Margaret in Burton
30-08-11, 13:00
That's really good isn't it? The only problem is I don't have the probate date (did you for your 10?) So if they have to ask Leeds for that then I'm no better off. Leeds say four weeks - I could have got this will five years ago, but I thought there wasn't one - I am now feeling impatient! lol

Yes I did have probate year. I think they do a 5 year search anyway. Remember the kerfuffle I had though with two wills that I didn't have the year for? OH's two grandad's, yes HE was one of them. pmsl.

I knew that they had left wills but the probate office couldn't find them. Their "will finding machine" didn't pick them up. After a complaint and the fact that Kate had found one of them on the probate calendar in Nottingham Archives they suddenly "found" them.

Mary from Italy
30-08-11, 13:00
Last time I used Cardiff it took about 2 weeks to Italy.

You can always phone or e-mail to ask how long it's likely to take. Even if you don't know the date of probate, I think a local registry will still be quicker than Leeds (if it's as slow as York used to be).

Contact details:

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Probate/Probate_Offices

Merry
30-08-11, 13:09
Thanks you two!

I hate sending off forms as I always want to write too much info like "please note 1859 not 1959" and "I think you wil find probate was granted in 1860 - hope this helps. If not, then it was 1859!" Also "just because I don't know the date of probate exactly doesn't mean I don't know there was a will, so no trying to tell me you can't find it". :(

Tom Tom
30-08-11, 13:11
Does anyone know whether you can pick them up in person at Leeds, as you can with Holborn, or whether they just offer the postal service?

Merry
30-08-11, 13:20
Leeds call themselves "The Postal Searches and Copies Department" so I presume like York you cannot visit and collect. (which is a shame, coz otherwise I'd be sending you to get the one I need!!!!!!!)

Tom Tom
30-08-11, 13:33
Leeds call themselves "The Postal Searches and Copies Department" so I presume like York you cannot visit and collect. (which is a shame, coz otherwise I'd be sending you to get the one I need!!!!!!!)

It is a shame because I would have been happy to go and get it!

Merry
30-08-11, 13:36
Ahhh, thanks Tom :D

Tom Tom
30-08-11, 13:37
...and I would have a few of my own to get! ;)

Merry
30-08-11, 13:38
lol!!

Merry
20-09-11, 11:29
I'm sure you will all be riveted to know that the will of my 3xg-grandfather, James Smith, just arrived in the post exactly three weeks to the day after I dropped the envelope into the postbox.

Just in case you don't remember, :rolleyes: the reason I particularly needed it was that I'd spent so much time trying to find James's parents and siblings I had really overlooked the fact that I had no baptism for his daughter (my 2xg grandmother) and having recently discovered baptisms for James's likely children, no room to squeeze my 2xg into the list :eek:. If my 2xg wasn't his child then why was I mucking about with his family at all?!!

So, the will arrived and I read it with trepidation as I couldn't believe the right person was going to get a mention!

This is the last will and testament of me James Smith of Wadesmill in the parish of Standon in the county of Hertford tailor.........I give (land and property) to my son Edward Smith (panic!!) and my sons-in-law (sharp intake of breath) Robert Maynard (and, and.......) and Nathan Maynard (my 2xg-grandfather!!!)

Hooray!!

and further down his personal belongings "equally between all my children Catherine (my 2xg) Jane and Edward"

What a relief!

ElizabethHerts
20-09-11, 11:41
A great result, Merry! I can see you jumping up and down with joy.:d

I did think of asking you this morning whether the will had arrived, as I'm not up to speed yet, having returned from Italy yesterday afternoon.

Merry
20-09-11, 11:43
I wondered where you had got to! Did you have a lovely time??

Margaret in Burton
20-09-11, 11:50
Brilliant outcome

ElizabethHerts
20-09-11, 11:56
I wondered where you had got to! Did you have a lovely time??

Yes, we went to Sirmione on Lake Garda. The weather was hot and sunny and we ate outside for every meal! 5 minutes from the hotel was a fabulous archeological site - "Le Grotte di Catullo" - which in reality was a huge Roman villa with baths and a swimming pool. It was fascinating.

We have come back feeling very relaxed; just what we needed.

Merry
20-09-11, 12:17
Sounds lovely, Elizabeth :)

Brilliant outcome

Yes, bit of a relief! lol I should have got this will about ten years ago, but didn't realise there was one!

Mary from Italy
20-09-11, 14:33
You were lucky, Elizabeth, the temperature's plummeted here today, and it's snowing in the mountains..

(And well done, Merry :) )

ElizabethHerts
20-09-11, 14:59
You were lucky, Elizabeth, the temperature's plummeted here today, and it's snowing in the mountains..

(And well done, Merry :) )

Mary, the weather changed on Sunday, when it rained and blew really hard, but we went out in the morning and we were back at the hotel by the time it really poured.