PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with Scottish Ancestors Listings?

WendyLF
28-08-11, 15:47
Can anyone direct me to a site that offers free BMD listings for Scotland, the one site I have found so far appears to be rather limited as I cannot trace any of the family members that I am looking for i.e. the McFarlane and Cummings side of my family.
I did find one that you buy credits for, which I did, but, it costs a credit to view each list of possibilities (page - approx. only 12 per page) which adds up :(when there are 342 possibilities!
Any advice/direction would be welcomed.

Olde Crone
28-08-11, 15:49
Scotlands People is the only site really and that is pay per view as you have found out.

However, there is quite a bit of Scottish stuff on the LDS site and you can use that to narrow down your possibilities.

When using Scotlands People, try playing about with the free search befoire you pay to view anything.

If you want to post up a name, we can talk you through it.

OC

kiterunner
28-08-11, 16:00
Yes, if you can post up details of who you're looking for (as long as it isn't someone who's still living), we can try to help narrow the search down so you don't use too many credits up.

WendyLF
28-08-11, 16:03
I have Dan/Daniel McFarlane (Ploughman) and Catherine McFarlane (McCowan) as the parents of Lawrence McFarlane born 13 June 1894, Parish ?(Greff), County of Perth. I belive they were married in 1879 based on Lawrence's Birth Cert. I have Lawrence's decendants as my Nana had all the records but cannot trace if he had siblings or where his parents came from.

kiterunner
28-08-11, 16:08
Well, starting with ancestry's transcription of the 1901 Scottish census, which may or may not be accurate (since ancestry aren't allowed to provide the images, you would have to check on Scotland's People), Lawrence was born in Crieff and his parents are listed as Donald 44 born Suttlefield, Perth, and Catherine 38 born Crieff, with his siblings being Thomas 21 born Forteviot, Perth, Jane 15 born Tealing, Forfar (Angus), Donald 9 born Liff, Forfar (Angus), and John 4 born Auchterarder, Perth,

kiterunner
28-08-11, 16:12
Oh dear, I always forget that you can't search on mother's maiden name in the births search on Scotland's People. And since the siblings are apparently all born in different places, it's not going to be easy to get a search that finds them all in one page of results.

WendyLF
28-08-11, 16:36
:confused:Why did people change names and ages so much......... Lawrence's fathers name on birth cert. is listed as Dan but on Marriage Cert as Daniel, Donald is not to be excluded as there is a grandson named Donald! Tried using 1 credit on Lawrence on 1901 Census which showed one match bit 5 credits to view:( , then tried McFarlane no forename with second person Catherine (being mother) and there are 7 matches, 3 that don't count as they are MacFarlane's, but again 5 credits to view.......... this may have to wait a while i.e. until I win the Lotto:rolleyes:

kiterunner
28-08-11, 16:36
The nearest I can find for the marriage is Daniel McFarlane marrying Jane McEwan (surname variant) in 1880, county Perth, district Kilmadock. Hmmm...

kiterunner
28-08-11, 16:41
The 1 match that comes up for the name Lawrence McFarlane on the 1901 census on Scotland's People must be the right one, because if I add to my search county = Stirlingshire, district = Falkirk, age range = 7 - 7, it still says 1 match. (Also if you add second person's forename = Catherine to that search it still finds 1 match.) Those are the details taken from ancestry's transcription. So you would be safe to use credits to view that - go to your "previous searches" to get the search results again so that you don't use another credit repeating the search.

kiterunner
28-08-11, 16:46
I think Daniel and Donald were often used as the same name in Scotland.

Ancestry has a Daniel McFarlane on the 1881 census age 29 born Dunblane, Perth, with a wife Jane, living in Kilmadock, with a daughter Annie age 2 months, so they must be the couple who got married in 1880 but as for whether it's your Daniel, I'm not sure yet. Got to go and do some cooking now, back later...

kiterunner
28-08-11, 17:38
Finally managed to find the family in 1891 on ancestry's transcription, in Liff and Benvie, Angus. It says Daniel McFarlane age 35 born Caputh, Perthshire, wife Kattie age 28 born "Zievard, Perthshire", sons Charles age 14 born Clunie, Perthshire and Thomas 11 born Abergeldie, Perthshire, and daughter Jane A age 5 born Tealing, Forfarshire. Again, you would have to view the image on Scotland's People to check whether the transcription is correct.

To make sure you get the right entry on Scotland's People, search the 1891 census for Katie McFarlane age 28, county Angus.

kiterunner
28-08-11, 17:44
Okay, found them in 1881, so that Jane McEwan thing was just a red herring.

Again, this is just from ancestry's transcription - living at Forteviot, Perthshire, Donald age 25 born Caputh, Perthshire, Catherine 19 born Monsievaird, Perthshire, Charles 5 born Caputh, and Thomas 1 born Aberdalgie, Perthshire. To get to it on Scotland's People, search the 1881 census for Charles McFarlane age 5 in county Perth, district Forteviot.

So, it looks likely that Catherine is not Charles's mother, unless her age is wrong.

kiterunner
28-08-11, 17:54
There's a death registration for Catherine McFarlane, other surname McCowan, in 1936, age 75, county Stirling. If you view the image it should tell you her parents' names (as accurately as the informant knew them). I still can't find her marriage to Daniel or Donald McFarlane, though. Does Lawrence's birth cert say where they got married?

kiterunner
28-08-11, 18:04
Just so I don't forget, I had an idea of how to find the names of Daniel / Donald's parents even if we don't find the marriage to Catherine - if we can find Charles' birth and get his mother's name, hopefully we can find Daniel / Donald marrying Charles' mother.

Olde Crone
28-08-11, 18:06
I can confirm that Daniel and Donald are interchangeable names in Scotland, Donald being the Gaelic for Daniel.

OC

WendyLF
28-08-11, 18:19
Under Mother's Name Catherine is : (Sorry had to try make it as small as poss. but if you click on it, sort of readable if you can make it out that is
) - I Cannot read the "place" name

kiterunner
28-08-11, 18:38
Auchterarder. I'll have another look for the marriage now with that info.

kiterunner
28-08-11, 18:45
Right, it must be the one listed as Adan McFarlane / Catrine McOwan, 1879 county Perth, district Auchterarder. No wonder I couldn't find it before!

WendyLF
28-08-11, 19:00
:confused:........So now, how do I proceed as you have now got me totally lost (appreciated though).. I can understand the pronounciations vs actual spelling but........?

JBee
28-08-11, 20:25
From 1881, 1891 and 1901 census

Donald Mcfarlane born 1856 Caputh, Perthshire, Caputh, Perthshire or Suttlefield, Perth
Catherine Mcfarlane b1862 Monsievaird? Perthshire, Zievard?, Perthshire or Crieff, Perth

they have children
Charles born 1876, Caputh, Perthshire
Thomas born 1880 Forteviot, Perthshire
Jane born 1886 - Tealing, Angus (Forfarshire)
Donald born 1892 - Liff, Angus
Lawrence born 1894 - Crieff, Perthshire
John born 1897. - Auchterader, Perthshire

1881 Census
Source Citation: Parish: Forteviot; ED: 2; Page: 12; Line: 3; Roll: cssct1881_103; Year: 1881.

1891 - Liff & Bervie, Angus

Source Citation: Parish: Liff and Benvie; ED: 2; Page: 14; Line: 20; Roll: CSSCT1891_102; Year: 1891

Source Citation: Parish: Falkirk; ED: 19; Page: 41; Line: 20; Roll: CSSCT1901_156; Year: 1901.

You could use www.scotsorigins.com to look for OPR baptisms and marriages (some results up to around 1875) - this takes you to the LDS IGI but you can search by county and place - helps to reduce down the results before using scotlandspeoples credits.

Scotlandspeople is still the cheapest way of downloading images - pity the statutry records don't start until 1855.

WendyLF
28-08-11, 20:39
Thanks Julie! Will try again tomorrow on both sites - when the brain is a bit fresher.

kiterunner
28-08-11, 22:07
:confused:........So now, how do I proceed as you have now got me totally lost (appreciated though).. I can understand the pronounciations vs actual spelling but........?

I suppose it depends what you want to do first - trace Laurence's siblings forward or trace his parents' families back? If you want to trace his parents' lines back first, the first thing to do would be to view the image of that Adan McFarlane / Catrine McOwan marriage cert to get their parents' names etc. If you want to trace Laurence's siblings forward first, just say and I'll come up with some suggestions, because it will be a bit more complicated.

JBee
29-08-11, 10:12
There's this marriage to eliminate

Can anyone can find them in 1881 census

1880 MACFARLANE DANIEL - MCEWAN JANE - KILMADOCK /PERTH 362/00 0009

kiterunner
29-08-11, 10:28
Yes, I already found them - see post #10. I'm certain that Lawrence's parents' marriage is that Adan McFarlane / Catrine McOwan one. It does give her maiden name as McOwan, not McCowan, on Lawrence's birth cert.

JBee
29-08-11, 13:34
Sorry missed that Kite.

Took too long looking up census etc and posting to realise you'd beaten me to it.

JBee
29-08-11, 13:44
I looked for the birth of Charles Mcfarlane and found one for 1877 in Comrie but it isn't the right one.

Does anyone know when did they start putting the parents marriage details on the child's birth certificate. It isn't on Lawrences birth certificate is it?

kiterunner
29-08-11, 13:52
Yes it's on Lawrence's birth cert, see post #16. But I think Charles must have a different mother from Lawrence.

JBee
29-08-11, 13:53
According to the birth certificate of John Carmichael Mcfarlane The marriage of Donald Mcfarlane and Catherine McCowan took place 2 July 1879 at AUCHTERARDER, Perthshire - (have got the image if you want it - pm your email addy).

Can't find it though even with the date. - mind you that's happened to me before with scotlandspeople - when I contacted the GRO they produced it though 1916.

blow - seems you've already got that info

kiterunner
29-08-11, 14:08
Julie, the marriage is sure to be that Adan McFarlane / Catrine McOwan one in 1879 in Auchterarder, isn't it?

JBee
29-08-11, 14:32
Well done Kite

Yes it is - its mistranscribed as Adam - it looks like Dan

Have got the image - he's 22 and she's 18

Daniel's parents are Thomas deceased (ploughman) and Margaret Scott
Catherines are John Sh?adans (can't read it) (rep father) and Catherine McOwan

PM me for image

JBee
29-08-11, 14:53
According to Scotsorigins.com - Looks like Thomas McFarlane married Margaret Scott at Caputh, Perthshire

18 NOV 1851 Caputh, Perth, Scotland

and he has a sister Janet who was witness at Daniels wedding.

WendyLF
29-08-11, 15:38
Thanks Julie - have PM'd you, may not be able to log on again tonight as the electricity is out (will see how long the battery lasts on the laptop) appreciate the assistance.

JBee
29-08-11, 16:46
Have sent them

but thanks must go to Kite for her expertise in finding the info.

WendyLF
29-08-11, 17:37
I suppose it depends what you want to do first - trace Laurence's siblings forward or trace his parents' families back? If you want to trace his parents' lines back first, the first thing to do would be to view the image of that Adan McFarlane / Catrine McOwan marriage cert to get their parents' names etc. If you want to trace Laurence's siblings forward first, just say and I'll come up with some suggestions, because it will be a bit more complicated.

I think I'll start with tracing his parents' families back for now...
As Julie said, thanks for the all help.

WendyLF
12-09-11, 20:11
Okay, did not stick to my original plan as usual and got side tracked.
Did trace the marriage of Thomas and Margaret McFarlane (#31) as well as their children but before I finished that, I traced Donald/Daniel/Dan's son Lawrence's (my great grandfather) siblings (#20) births thanks to Kite's research abilities and Julie's backup's.:), except for Charles b. about 1876.

I then went on to trace marriages of the siblings (#20) and this time, found Charles' marriage in 1910 :D (he changed his age i.e. lost 5 years and lists Catherine as his mother) but cannot trace a marraige for John Carmichael the youngest.

Can anyone nudge ;) me in the right direction with regards to trying to trace a birth/death record for Charles and a possible marriage/death for John as I just do not seem to find it using the methods I previously used for all the rest.

kiterunner
12-09-11, 22:20
If Catherine really was Charles' mother then he was born a few years before she married Dan. But I can't see a birth registration for him under the name McCowan or McOwan. And it's hard to find the right death without knowing his birth details. Who did he marry in 1910, please?

I wondered whether John could have died in WW1 but I can't see him on the CWGC site. Of course he could have emigrated. I can't find a John Carmichael McFarlane anywhere but if he dropped the Carmichael part there are too many possibles!

WendyLF
13-09-11, 17:35
Charles married Mary Nielson a widow if I am reading her maiden name correctly from the image and as per Scotlands people was Miller
Date: 30 December 1910
Place: Arnot Hill, Falkirk

I found a possible John in the 1930 US Census who immigrated in 1923 but, could not find a marriage (to an Isabell) or births of children (Margaret - 10, Thomas - 8 and Isabell - 6) to tie it up/check if it was the correct John (also ran out of credits;()

kiterunner
13-09-11, 18:46
What was Mary's mother's maiden name, please? And approximately when was Mary born? I'm wondering whether we can find Mary's death on Scotland's People, which might help us to track down Charles's, but there are 6 deaths for Mary McFarlane's with "other surname" Miller after 1910. (5 of them between 1910 and 1990.) Not all deaths have the mother's maiden name on, so it might not help to know it, but it's worth a try.

WendyLF
13-09-11, 19:01
Mary has her age as 31. Not sure if Mary's mothers name is Morton or Norton, first name is Elizabeth, see below:

kiterunner
13-09-11, 19:09
Sorry, Wendy, I've had to remove the names of the children from your post as they could still be alive and our site policy is not to post up the details of living people without their consent.

If anyone wants the names and ages so they can help, just send a PM to Wendy or to me.

There are way too many possible births on Scotland's People for the eldest child, who was born in Scotland, and there is no way to narrow it down unless we know exactly where she was born or if she has a middle name but the 1930 census doesn't tell us that. I can't find anything on ancestry to help, sorry.

kiterunner
13-09-11, 19:15
Mary has her age as 31. Not sure if Mary's mothers name is Morton or Norton, first name is Elizabeth, see below:

There are no matches coming up on a search for deaths of Mary McFarlane, other surname Miller, mother's maiden name Morton (or Norton) 1910-1990, but if you tick the "include unrecorded mother's maiden surname" box, there are still 5 matches. All over 50 at death. Only 1 with birth year 1879 +- 5 years, but if you are going to look at the list of matches there is no point adding that check in because it costs the same to look at the list of 5 matches as it would to look at the list of 1! But at least we know there is one possible there, so you could try looking and see whether she is Charles' wife.

WendyLF
13-09-11, 20:08
Thanks will try follow up from here, sorry about the children's names did not even cross my mind :o