PDA

View Full Version : Ann someone (MFMMMM)

Michael
27-08-11, 23:17
Name - "official" name and what they were known as - married name Ann Howard, don't know maiden name. There's a marriage for Ann Atkin to William Howard at about the right time on the IGI, but the place (Timberland, near Scunthorpe) is about 40 miles away from where I'd expect it to be, so I very much doubt that's her.

Date and place of birth - probably Boston area, Lincolnshire, c1780.

Names of parents - don't know

Date and place of baptism - if applicable - don't know

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any - to William Howard, any time from 1800-1815 or so (children are 25 and 20 in 1841)

Occupation(s) - if any - don't know

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). - 1841 Leake, Lincolnshire (HO107/609/1)
Can't find either William or Ann in 1851 so I presume they were both dead by then.

Date, place and cause of death - probably sometime between 1841 and 1851; I've found three possible death registrations for William during that period but none for Ann.

Date and place of burial - don't know

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable - don't know

Memorial inscription - if any - don't know

The only records I have pertaining to Ann are the 1841 census entry and her daughter Martha Ann's baptism on the IGI (Leake, 1819).

Merry
27-08-11, 23:28
1. MARY HOWARD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 03 AUG 1817 Leake, Lincoln, England

2. MARTHA ANN HOWARD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 09 AUG 1819 Leake, Lincoln, England

3. WILLIAM TORPSTON HOWARD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 21 MAY 1815 Leake, Lincoln, England

I wonder if Torpston is Ann's maiden name?

Merry
27-08-11, 23:43
Or perhaps this is a better spelling?

Deaths Sep 1893
Howard William Toynton 78 Boston 7a 275

Merry
28-08-11, 00:33
First name(s): Ann
Last name: HOWARD
Date of burial: 8 Jan 1847
Age at death: 69
Calculated year of birth: 1778
Place of burial: Leake
Dedication: St Mary
County: Lincolnshire

First name(s): William
Last name: HOWARD
Date of burial: 21 Nov 1850
Age at death: 74
Calculated year of birth: 1776
Place of burial: Leake
Dedication: St Mary

and this is his MI

Date of Death: 15 Nov 1850
Year of Death: 1850
Forenames: William
Surname: HOWARD
Place: Old Leake
Description:
Reference Number: 110575

Michael
28-08-11, 02:38
Thanks Merry. A possible baptism? Leverton is reasonably close to Leake.

Name: Ann Tointon
Baptism/Christening Date: 09 May 1777
Baptism/Christening Place: LEVERTON,LINCOLN,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Joseph Tointon
Mother's Name: Alice
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02986-2
England-ODM
Source Film Number: 504559

Can't find a marriage though.

Merry
28-08-11, 08:41
Could be, thought I have no idea what Lincs coverage is like or how common her name would be in the area. There's another bap in about 1780 which it might be good to eliminate.

Still can''t see Ann's death reg!

Michael
28-08-11, 09:49
The 1781 one in Leverton, you mean? That gives the same parents' names, so maybe the first child died?

kiterunner
28-08-11, 10:01
Still can''t see Ann's death reg!

The GRO death index for Jan-Mar 1847 is one of those that has been typed up, so the typist may have missed her out.

Merry
28-08-11, 10:35
The 1781 one in Leverton, you mean? That gives the same parents' names, so maybe the first child died?

Oh, were they?! It was late when I looked last night and I remember thinking "pity it's not the same parents"! Whoops!

Collywobbles
06-03-13, 10:21
Ann Toynton and William Howard were my Gx4 grandparents. I do not have a death reg for Ann but the following is how I've summed up Ann's origins.

". . . Her age at burial and on the 1841 Census indicates that she was born abt 1777 and when she married at Benington in 1813 she was described as being ‘of Benington’.

There are indications that she could have been the daughter of Joseph Toynton (of Leverton) and Mary nee Clarke. This couple married on 25 May 1768 at Stickney and baptised two children at Leverton, Joseph in 1771 and Clarke in 1781, and appear to have buried a daughter Mary in 1783, but no baptism record has been found for Ann. (Leverton is roughly a mile NE from Benington)

When Ann married William Howard in 1813, one of the witnesses was Jane Clark who could have been a relative of Mary.

When Ann and William’s daughter Martha married William Atkinson in 1846, one of the witnesses was a Joseph Toynton who could have been Ann’s brother or his son, born abt 1798.

The only known baptism of an Ann Toynton around 1777 was in Leverton by Joseph and Alice Toynton on 9 May 1777. No marriage record or any further baptisms have been found for this couple. Did the clerk make a mistake on Ann’s baptism, getting Joseph and Mary confused with another couple, John and Alice Tointon, who were also baptising children at Leverton around the same time?

John Tointon and Alice Drawater had married in 1774 at Leverton and went on to baptise 4 children there. They baptised Joseph in 1776 and Ann in 1781. Ann died in 1782 so she cannot be our Ann and her baptism is evidence that John and Alice did not already have a child named Ann, appearing to rule this couple out as being Ann’s parents. . . "

Hope this is helpful.