PDA

View Full Version : Twartless in Kent

Rachel
27-08-11, 08:25
No not a film title :)

It's my 3 X gt gran and her husband.

2 X gt gran is Louisa King born 23rd Jan 1844 East Malling, Kent (see LDS - extracted and FreeBMD).

Mother, Amelia (1815 ~ LDS) is evidently unmarried at this time but in 1846 marries an Edward Twart or Tuart (LDS and FreeBMD).

In 1851, Louisa is with her grandparents, William and Mary King in East Malling and in 1861 (aged 16) she's still with grandfather as a Housekeeper.

I can't find Amelia and Edward on any census.

kiterunner
27-08-11, 08:33
Have you got a copy of Amelia and Edward's marriage certificate to (a) check it's the same Amelia and (b) get info about Edward such as age, occupation, and father's name? It might be easier to look for them once we have that info.

Rachel
27-08-11, 08:47
No I've not yet sent for it Kate
I was fairly happy with the LDS info and left it at that

I'm just looking in Scotland but there's no sign of them there either

I don't have Louisa's birth cert. Do you think I should splash out on that first ?

Margaret in Burton
27-08-11, 09:09
No I've not yet sent for it Kate
I was fairly happy with the LDS info and left it at that

I'm just looking in Scotland but there's no sign of them there either

I don't have Louisa's birth cert. Do you think I should splash out on that first ?

That won't give you Edward's age though will it. Then again the marriage cert may just say Full Age.

Olde Crone
27-08-11, 09:21
Very unusual name, wonder if it was really Stuart or Stewart?

OC

Rachel
27-08-11, 09:31
Very unusual name, wonder if it was really Stuart or Stewart?

OC

It is odd isn't it and I've searched for them using every spelling I can think of but they will not appear

Rachel
27-08-11, 10:10
The only Tuart I can find is an Edward, in prison in Manchester, Lancs. ~ 1855

I was looking for Amelia in Immigration/Emigration

Seraching for Edward Tuart in 1851 gives me an Edward Tewart in Lancs aged 9 .... hmph
Another dead end

kiterunner
27-08-11, 12:12
Another variation is Tueart, like Denis Tueart the footballer.

Rachel
27-08-11, 12:21
Thanks Kate
I was searching with first names only, because that surname could very easily be misheard/mistranscribed/whatever.

Plenty of Beer and Cider around the area at that time so it's anyone's guess as to the sobriety of the population on census night !

A further thought

Might his name have been Edward Ewart .... T. Ewart or Ted Wart ... um ... give up

Janet
06-09-11, 01:50
Googling Edwart Twart I get no hits on that spelling, but quite a number of hits for Edward Twort. Have you tried that variation, Rachel? Somebody has quite a database online for Twort family genealogy in Kent, Surrey & Sussex: http://theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=5584317 Their Edward Twort doesn't have the right dates for you though.

Rachel
06-09-11, 05:25
Thank you for looking Janet
I tried everything and he remains an enigma for the moment. I suppose he'll appear when the time's right.

Brenchley, the birthplace of the 1832 James Twort you found, is the correct area for many of my Kent ancestors.