PDA

View Full Version : Help with handwriting please

Rick
24-08-11, 21:52
Here's hoping someone can decipher this better than I can. It is an assisted immigration record to Australia from 1839 on Ancestry.........

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1204&iid=IMAUS1787_081239-0228&fn=Harriet&ln=Clayfield&st=d&ssrc=&pid=42772

I'm interested in what it says about William Jobbins - looks like "mealman of lay of the land" but if so it doesn't make sense to me. Also John Rodway, does it say "farmer of" and then a placename ?

Thanks in advance:)

kiterunner
24-08-11, 22:12
Haven't managed to figure either of those out yet - yes, I think John is a farmer but the nearest I can come up with for the place name is Axprishpton and there is no such place! I wonder if his surname could be Radley rather than Rodway, though? Or is it confirmed as Rodway elsewhere? I'm hoping it will be easier to read in the morning!

Rick
24-08-11, 22:21
Thanks for giving it a go ! I wondered if it was Ax? Upton but can't find anything close to that either. William Jobbins came from Dursley and the daughter Harriet was born Horsley, so odds on it is in Gloucestershire.

It is definitely Rodway as I have marriage records that confirm that.

Rick.

kiterunner
24-08-11, 22:40
Ah yes, it must be Upton because there are some Rodways at Upton on FamilySearch. But I can't work out what the bit before Upton is.

Rachel
25-08-11, 09:54
could 'lay of the land' be 'daughter' ?

'guardian of the daughter' ?

actually it looks a bit like 'publican'

I'm pretty useless at this but it might help in some obscure way

kiterunner
25-08-11, 10:06
The bit after "William Jobbins" should be occupation "of" placename, Rachel, but I still can't make it out.

Rick
25-08-11, 19:35
Hi Rachel they were baptists, so it's fairly unlikely William was a publican. The family trade was cloth making, but I still can't work out what it says. Kiterunner is right about what it should say.

There's a few Uptons in Gloucestershire - still looks like Axp..... to me.

Rick.

Olde Crone
25-08-11, 20:31
I can't see it, no access, but might it say "Expo", which would be short for Ex parochia.

OC

Rachel
25-08-11, 22:23
I can't see it, no access, but might it say "Expo", which would be short for Ex parochia.

OC

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Screenshot04.png

Janet
04-09-11, 08:37
Best I can make out is this:

Harriet Clayfield

Married Female Immigrant

Arrived by the Ship Susan

Brought out by

A Native of Horsley Gloucestershire daughter of William Jobbins fealman[?] of the same place and of Sarah Clayfield Jobbins daughter[?] of John Rodway farmer[?] of Oxpass[?] Upton

Calling House Servant

Age on Embarkation [something crossed out] Twenty nine [something else crossed out] June

Person certifying Registry of Baptism

Character, and Person certifying the same

State of bodily health, strength, and probable usefulness poor

Religion Baptist

Remarks read & write no compls [The next page reads “no complaints”. See also Cornelius Christian, image 44 of 295, “read & write”.]

Male children, exceeding one, and under eighteen years.

--

Female children, exceeding one, and under fifteen years.

Sephina 10 Sept 16th
Anne 7 Nov 14th
Jane 5 Nov 14

Rick
04-09-11, 19:20
Well done Janet - "of the same place" it is. Still can't work out which Upton it is as there a several in Gloucestershire and nothing that matches Ox.. or Ax...

Thanks,

Rick.

Janet
05-09-11, 02:26
Phonological spelling of Hawkesbury Upton?
Nine miles from Horsley.

Rick
05-09-11, 22:19
Good grief !! So it is - Axpris Upton - how funny is that ?
:)

Thanks Janet - a mystery solved and a genuine laugh out loud too.

Rick.

Janet
06-09-11, 01:24
:):):):):):):)