PDA

View Full Version : Great-grandfather or Grandfather?

JohnS
23-08-11, 18:56
Hello
I have a photograph that is either my grandfather or great-grandfather.
Great-grandfather was Charles Sharratt (1836-1911).
Grandfather was John Sharratt (1874-1931).
From the attached photograph can anyone see any clues as to which one it may be (style of dress, type of photograph, etc) that I may be missing?
Regards
JohnS

Margaret in Burton
23-08-11, 19:41
Hi John

Wouldn't like to guess but there are others on here who will know. Haven't had a chance to go through your info lately. Have you finished going through the stuff I sent to you?

Lindsay
23-08-11, 20:00
I'm no expert, but I have a picture of my OH's gg-uncle in an identical cap which must have been taken around 1910-1920.

How old do you think he is? 40-50 ish? That would fit with it being your grandfather.

On the other hand, I know men's fashions didn't change much - perhaps someone else will be able to be more definite!

Margaret in Burton
23-08-11, 20:11
If it's any help this is a similar photo of a distant relative of mine. He was born in 1886 and died at Gallipoli in 1915.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/WilliamABirch.jpg

JohnS
23-08-11, 20:40
How old do you think he is? 40-50 ish? That would fit with it being your grandfather.

Yeah, he looks about 50. That would mean the photo was taken around the mid 1880's if it was my great-grandfather. Don't know much about the history of photography around that era.

JohnS
23-08-11, 20:44
Have you finished going through the stuff I sent to you?

Hi Marg
Yeah, been through it all. Just a couple of queries but I haven't bothered you as I knew you were busy with your move.
I have made loads of progress on the brothers who went to America. I'll send it on to you when you are ready - I think it will interest you.

Margaret in Burton
23-08-11, 20:52
Hi Marg
Yeah, been through it all. Just a couple of queries but I haven't bothered you as I knew you were busy with your move.
I have made loads of progress on the brothers who went to America. I'll send it on to you when you are ready - I think it will interest you.

send it to me, nothing going on the move until builders have done and they haven't started yet.

Anstey Nomad
24-08-11, 08:28
I'd say it's Grandad taken towards the end of his life - basing this purely on images of my own Grandad who was born in 1875.

AN

Phoenix
24-08-11, 11:09
What does the back look like? If it's a postcard, I'd say that was almost certainly your grandfather.

The pose is informal. In the 1800s, people were usually far more stiffly arranged, and most photos were in studios.

JohnS
24-08-11, 15:13
What does the back look like?

It's just plain white, a normal glossy b&w photograph. I've done some googling on early photo sizes and it would appear that this one (3.25 x 2.25 inches) is from 120 film used in the Brownie camera.
This film was introduced around 1900/1901 so by the time this photo was taken my g-grandfather would have been at least 65 (probably older).
I don't think the person in the photo looks that old so it is probably safe to assume it is my grandfather.