PDA

View Full Version : German research

Rachel A
22-08-11, 20:52
My cousin has asked for help to trace the family of her German great grandfather who arrived in the UK from Coblenz c1890. I originally looked at this a few years back and organised a copy of his naturalisation documents from the National Archives. I think at the time when I asked for advice, I was directed towards the Anglo-German Family History Society and I suggested that my cousin joined. Unfortunately, I don't think she did and is now asking for help again. Is this site the best way forward for tracing ancestors and relatives in Germany? I'm wondering if a researcher would be a better option, as she's worried about her own father's failing health and wants to find out ASAP...??

Rachel A
22-08-11, 21:09
Actually, if anyone is a member of the Anglo-German FHS, please could you tell me if the Dodt family of Coblenz is on their name index please.

Got this from the IGI -

Antonius Dott (should be Dodt?)
Baptism 29th March 1868
LIEBFRAUEN KATHOLISCH, KOBLENZ STADT, RHEINLAND, PRUSSIA
Parents - Georgii Dott & Catherinae Dott

kiterunner
22-08-11, 21:46
I've never joined the Anglo-German FHS so I can't really say, but I think they are more useful if you (or your cousin) are planning to do the research yourself and want help finding out who to contact, how to word letters etc, and a researcher would be quicker but more expensive. I used a researcher to look up some German records for me and was very pleased with the speed and the results.

Rachel A
23-08-11, 06:55
Thanks Kite. Do you have the contact details of that researcher please?

kiterunner
23-08-11, 08:31
He would only be of use if you're looking in Northern Bavaria, Rachel. If that's the area you're looking at, I'll see if I can dig out the details.

Rachel A
23-08-11, 08:36
Ah right, no then. I'm after Rheinland.

If anyone can recommend a researcher in this area, or knows how to get hold of one, I would be most grateful. Thanks... :)