PDA

View Full Version : Francis Goring 26 Aug 1755

geniebug
21-08-11, 01:27
This week, we are focussing on your father's mother's father's father's father's father.

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Francis Goring
Date and place of birth Baptised 26 Aug 1755 St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, London
Names of parents Abraham Gorringe & Ann Lloyd (Abraham had a brother Richard and sister in law Sarah who became Mrs James Grespel all of whom lived in London. 1770
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any Abraham & Ann were married 19 Nov 1753 St George Chapel, Mayfair
Occupation(s) - if any Abraham was a bookseller in London (in May's Building)
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

I don't need to know anything about Francis, as there is a lot of documentation about him,. but am stuck with Abraham Gorringe and his wife.

Sue from Southend
22-08-11, 13:31
There's a Administration listed on FMP dated 1780 for Abraham Garringe

Forenames: Abraham
Surname: Garringe
Month: Jan
Year: 1780
Type of record: Administration
Court: Archdeaconry Court Of Middlesex
Place: St Martin In The Fields
County: Middlesex
Notes:
Record source: London Probate Index 1750-1858

Data provider: Dr David Wright

They say that the record is to be found the LMA. It doesn't seem to come up on Ancestry unfortunately

geniebug
22-08-11, 22:49
Thanks Sue, Im from Australia. I know FMP is Find my past, but what is LMA?
What do you think they mean by Administration?

kiterunner
22-08-11, 23:22
LMA = London Metropolitan Archives
Administration means he didn't leave a valid will, so someone had to be appointed to administer his estate.

geniebug
22-08-11, 23:33
Thanks Kite.

Is there any way I can access London Metropolitan Archives, and is there any advantage in so doing?

I'm really trying to find his parents :(

Sue from Southend
23-08-11, 08:11
This is the link to the LMA's research service

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Family_Research/Family+History+Research+Service.htm

It looks quite expensive though! You could email them with the information and ask for a quote perhaps. Or if you post a plea for help on here someone may be able to go and look for you. Ancestry are putting a lot of LMA records online but whether Abraham's will ever be one of them is debatable!

kiterunner
23-08-11, 09:34
It isn't a will, only an administration. It'll tell you who was appointed administrator but I expect that will be one of his children or his brother. Also there will be the name of a bondsman, who may be related. Unlikely to tell you anything about his parents, I'm afraid.

geniebug
23-08-11, 12:00
Thanks for your information Sue & Kite. I rather think it would be his brother Richard (whose Will I have).

We have been searching for their parents for over 41 years lol.

Sue from Southend
23-08-11, 14:31
Have you already discounted the Abraham Gorringe b1696 Hamsey, Sussex to Abraham and Susanna (from Family Search)?
He has a brother Richard b1690. (transcribed as Gorring)
And another one named John b 1687. Which ties in with an Abraham Goringe b1731 in Westminster to John and Ann - named after his father/brother?

geniebug
23-08-11, 22:36
Have you already discounted the Abraham Gorringe b1696 Hamsey, Sussex to Abraham and Susanna (from Family Search)?
He has a brother Richard b1690. (transcribed as Gorring)
And another one named John b 1687. Which ties in with an Abraham Goringe b1731 in Westminster to John and Ann - named after his father/brother?Sue, the 2nd one is more likely datewise,but he definitely had a brother Richard (whether he had more siblings I dont know)
Not too sure about the first one because of the age., but on 2nd thoughts - it is a possible.

Thanks Sue.

Sue from Southend
24-08-11, 08:00
You need Westminster Parish records! Then you could find out if Abraham was a bachelor at the time of his marriage and check witnesses etc.
We've been hoping that Ancestry will put more Westminster records online for ages maybe it'll happen one day!

geniebug
24-08-11, 08:35
Thanks Sue, we can only google and get in touch with Westminster Parish Records

Judy

ameliagoring
11-09-12, 14:47
an interesting blog on Francis Goring
http://stalkingdeadpeople.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/franics-goring-1755-1842.html

Shona
13-09-12, 08:24
Found this on the London Lives 1690-1800 website.

St Martin in thevFields Pauper Examinations.

18 March 1778

Unique Project ID 50106

Examination Text

The Examination of Ann Gorringe lodging at No.4 in Lazenby Court in parish of St Martin in the Fields, taken this 18th Day of March in the Year 1778. This Examinant on her Oath saith That her mother Ann Gorringe now ill as aforesaid is the Widow of Abraham Gorringe (who died in August 1776) to whom she was married at May Fair Chapel about the year 1734, That her father was a Book seller and lived and Rented an House in Little Mays Building in the Parish afore said for the space of twenty six years at the yearly rent of twenty pounds besides taxes quitted the same about Christmas 1775, That her father never kept house rented a tenement of ten pounds by the year nor paid any parish taxes afterwards, That her mother hath not kept house rented a tenement of ten pounds by the year nor paid any parish taxes since the death of her said husband, That her Mother hath three children by her said husband to wit Sarah aged eighteen years (who is Blind) Charlotte aged 16 years (who is lame) and Elizabeth aged twelve years now in Hungerford School. Sworn the 18th Day of March 1778, Before Samp. Wright.

Shona
13-09-12, 08:48
More from the London Lives website.

City of Westminster Coroners:
Coroners' Inquests into Suspicious Deaths
CW | IC
14th February 1760 - 31st December 1760
About this document type
Currently Held: WA
LL ref: WACWIC652000060
Image 60 of 6418th December 1760

Westminster City and Liberty
in the County of Middlesex
to wit
An Inquisition Indented and taken at the Parish of Saint Paul Covent
Garden within the Liberty of the Dean and Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Saint Peter at Westminster the Nineteenth
day of December in the First Year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Third by the Grace of God of
Great Britain France and Ireland King Defender of the faith and so forth and in the Year of our Lord One Thousand
seven hundred and Sixty . Before John Feary Coroner for our Sovereign Lord the King for the City and Liberty of
Westminster aforesaid. Upon a View of the Body of Captn. Jacob Moody then and there Lying Dead by the Oaths of
Alexander Baptist , Samuel Frankland Richard Oldfield , John Bouttals Edward Tanner , Abraham Gorring , Thomas Haynes
John Haynes , Samuel Wilkinson , William Makepeace , Charles Rapen , Joseph Willmot , Thomas Jones , John Clansell
Edward Clarke , Samuel Clarke , and William Metcalf Good and Lawfull Men of the
said City and Liberty who being Sworn and Charged to Enquire for our Sovereign Lord the King how when where and in what
manner the said Capt, Jacob Moody come to his Death Say upon their Oaths, That on Thursday the eighteenth day
of December Instant about five o'Clock in the Morning the said Captain Jacob Moody being in a Sedan Chair, and being
greatly Intoxicated with Liquor it so happened that the said Captain Jacob Moody in his Passage from the House of
Mr. Robert Derry in Charles Street Covent Garden in the Parish of St. Paul Covent Garden to the Royal Bagnio in
Long Acre in the Parish of St. Martin in the fields in the Liberty and County aforesaid by means of the Liquor
aforesaid was Suffocated, of which said Suffocation the said Captain Jacob Moody instantly Died. And so the said
Jurors aforesaid upon their Oaths aforesaid do say That the said Captain Jacob Moody the day and Year aforesaid
in the Parish Liberty and County aforesaid in manner as aforesaid come to his Death and not otherwise In Witness
whereof as well the said Coroner as the Foreman of the Jurors aforesaid have to this Inquisition put their
hands and Seals the day Year and at the place abovesaid

Jno. Feary Coroner

Alex. Baptist Foreman

geniebug
13-09-12, 08:56
Thanks Shona, that was quite interesting, both of them.

Shona
13-09-12, 09:02
Thanks Shona, that was quite interesting, both of them.

There are a lot of mentions of the Gorringe family of the London Lives website - images of documents, too. Abraham's daughters, Ann and Sarah Gorringe, were admitted to the St Martin's workhouse. There is a report of a book being stolen from Abraham's shop, too.

I've only done a quick search. A more thorough search may reveal more about Abraham and Ann's life.

Shona
13-09-12, 09:16
Ann and Abraham's daughter Sarah, mentioned in my first post on this thread as blind, is in and out of the workhouse many times.

Shona
13-09-12, 09:30
This link takes you to the trial of Mary Edwards (see second column) at the Old Bailey in 1719. She is accused of stealing a gold ring and money from Jacob Garring. May be connected to Abraham Gorringe?

http://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp?div=t17190514-18&terms=Garring#highlight

Shona
13-09-12, 11:44
Ann and Abraham's daughter Sarah, mentioned in my first post on this thread as blind, is in and out of the workhouse many times.

And died there in 1817.

Shona
13-09-12, 18:15
Abraham and Ann's daughter, Charlotte Goringe, was admitted into the St Martin's in the Field workhouse on 6 iNovember 1783. She was 22, a pauper and pregnant. It was not know if her child was legitimate or not. The baby was born on 20/21 December 1783 and christened Francis on 6 January 1784. His mother is named as Charlotte Goringe. No father's name is given. Charlotte died the same day. Baby Frances died on 15 January 1784.