PDA

View Full Version : Illegible tombstones

Mary from Italy
19-08-11, 20:48
Doing the rounds of various cemeteries in England at present, and we keep finding tombstones that are very hard to read.

Any suggestions? I seem to remember somebody suggesting chalk?

We've also found a lot of badly damaged tombstones in Northants; they're covered with what I think is a kind of lichen or fungus (some white and some orange). Is there any way of removing it without damaging the stone?

Merry
19-08-11, 21:16
Chalk, talc or water, judiciously sprinkled, can work wonders. We have been able to read whole stones that apparently had no words at all at first glance.

The type of stone the lichen is growing on makes a difference as to whether it can be removed without damage. Maybe you could try on an area with no inscription first?

JessBow
20-08-11, 06:37
Where abouts in Northants are you hunting out Rellies Mary?

Sabrina
20-08-11, 12:55
they're covered with what I think is a kind of lichen or fungus (some white and some orange). Is there any way of removing it without damaging the stone?

I thought some lichen in the UK were protected and you weren't allowed to remove them.

see under Collecting and Conservation (http://www.thebls.org.uk/content/geninf.html)

Merry
20-08-11, 13:57
I thought some lichen in the UK were protected and you weren't allowed to remove them.

I wouldn't know the difference between a protected one and a common one! If I can't touch a lichen "just in case" then I will have to give up gardening as well as visiting gravestones!

Merry
20-08-11, 14:35
From another page of The British Lichen Society's website:

In some circumstances it may be necessary to remove lichens and various methods have been used with success. If the purpose is to enable an inscription to be read, other ways of doing this should be tried first before the removal of the lichens. These methods, to increase the clarity of an inscription, include wetting or looking at it in the twilight with a torch shone along the inscription on a gravestone at a low angle. This will enable many worn inscriptions to be read. If it is deemed that cleaning is essential, only the minimum area necessary should be treated. This may be done by physically rubbing the lichens from the surface. Where this is done on a smooth stone the result may be unsightly as it is almost impossible to remove many crusty lichens from the lettering of the inscription. The lichens remaining in the lettering and cracks will probably regrow but rare lichens may have been lost from the surface. Another physical method that has been used is to cover the area to be cleaned with black polythene. It may take some months for the lichens to die but they may then be removed with a stiff brush. A more practical method may be to use fungicides such as benomyl, cheshunt compound, thiophanate-methyl etc. Domestic bleach has also been used with effect.

Whatever method is used care should be taken to treat as small an area as possible and not allow the chemicals to drip onto adjacent parts of the stone or statue. Before commencing try to get an experienced lichenologist to check that there are no rare lichens present. Remember, before you kill them, that these lichens may have been growing on the stone for several hundred years and so, if possible, please allow the colour to remain on the cupid's cheeks.

Mary from Italy
20-08-11, 14:55
Thanks for the advice, all.

Jess, we've been to Potterspury, Wicken and Passenham in the last few days, and the majority of the tombstones are in a terrible state. Probably going to Welford and Clipston tomorrow.

Sabrina
20-08-11, 17:38
I wouldn't know the difference between a protected one and a common one! If I can't touch a lichen "just in case" then I will have to give up gardening as well as visiting gravestones!

lol, me too Merry!

Yet it seems from that other page you found, as if they are saying you can remove them if you have too! :confused:

Jill
20-08-11, 21:08
You might incur the wrath of the locals, the most I've been brave enough to do is uproot nettles. That said, when I was a girl back in the early 1970s we had a cleanup day in the churchyard next to my home and I remember scrubbing gravestons wth a wire brush!

I decoded OH's ancestors' tomb by touch but it was a table tomb rather than an upright stone.

JessBow
21-08-11, 06:41
Thanks for the advice, all.

Jess, we've been to Potterspury, Wicken and Passenham in the last few days, and the majority of the tombstones are in a terrible state. Probably going to Welford and Clipston tomorrow.

If you come any near Northampton its self, gimmie a shout, you are more than welcome to call round for a coffee. Passenham church is a funny old place to get to

brenmac
21-08-11, 13:27
can you use what is used on patio stones? also tracing paper and rubbing over the words might help brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
21-08-11, 20:03
If you come any near Northampton its self, gimmie a shout, you are more than welcome to call round for a coffee. Passenham church is a funny old place to get to

Thanks, Jess - I should have loved to take you up on the offer, but I've only just seen it; unfortunately I shall be going back to Italy on Wednesday, and I don't think I shall be in Northants again before I go. We went to Abington church today, which was lovely.

Mary from Italy
21-08-11, 20:04
can you use what is used on patio stones? also tracing paper and rubbing over the words might help brenda xxx

I think the rubbing idea is probably a good one, and I shall also try Merry's suggestions of chalk, talc or water next time I go.

Sue at the seaside
21-08-11, 20:43
I have a friend who had great success by just taking digital photos and manipulating them on the PC, in fact when the church I went to decided to take a photo of EVERY gravestone in the grave yard, the photos picked up far more detail than could be seen with the naked eye.

ElizabethHerts
21-08-11, 21:19
I have also used my computer to read inscriptions.

On the internet there is a photo of a gravestone of my Alexander ancestors in Avebury churchyard and by using my computer I could read the inscription brilliantly. It gave me invaluable information.

JessBow
22-08-11, 06:56
Thanks, Jess - I should have loved to take you up on the offer, but I've only just seen it; unfortunately I shall be going back to Italy on Wednesday, and I don't think I shall be in Northants again before I go. We went to Abington church today, which was lovely.

The church in the park. Very popular for weddings. Stones throw from me.Could have met you for a coffee in the park teashop, Never mind. Glad you enjoyed your time here.

Feel free to give me shout if you want any grave hunting done, i'll be happy to go have a squint for you. or the CRO for that matter - thats walking distance.

Phoenix
22-08-11, 13:22
Looking down a loo roll works wonders: light shines obliquely on the stone.

Please bear in mind NEVER to do anything that might injure the stone.

It was only a small piece of ivy I pulled away, but now nobody can even guess what the inscription said as a chunk of stone came away with it.;(

A cousin went round the graveyard twenty years later. Her camera made legible even the mossiest stone, but of course she never found the one I had destroyed.

Kit
24-08-11, 13:16

I would never have thought of that.

JessBow
25-08-11, 07:04

I wonder how you discovered that? Coincedentally happened to have an empty loo roll in your handbag? ( like you do)

Phoenix
25-08-11, 09:13
Lol!

I went to a workshop where we had the talk in the morning and the practical experience in the afternoon.

I belong to the generation that still saves elastic bands & can't bear to throw an egg box away because "it must have a use" though I can't always think of it!

Kit
29-08-11, 10:08
I wonder how you discovered that? Coincedentally happened to have an empty loo roll in your handbag? ( like you do)

pmsl I did enjoy your post Jess. I was too busy thinking I should try it out to wonder how she knew.