PDA

View Full Version : London parish geography Q

Merry
19-08-11, 16:20
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread. There's more than one thread about John Brown

I'm trying to discover which parish Monmouth Street was in, in 1806. I'm presuming that's the road off Shaftesbury Avenue in Camden. I don't know if there was ever another?

Merry
19-08-11, 16:42
It may have moved a bit!

Here's an 1818 map:

http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1818map/2_4c.htm

The street running north from Seven Dials is called Andrews Street (slide the up and down bar about a third+ of the way down) - this is now Monmouth St (I think). In those days Monmouth St was just to the left.

Jill
19-08-11, 17:03
That black rectangle near the east end of Momouth Street is St Giles in the fields so it's likely to be that ( St Martin in the fields is much further south)

maggie_4_7
19-08-11, 17:03
It's St Giles in 1841.

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:St_Giles_Registration_Distri ct,_1841_Census_Street_Index_L-O

Merry
19-08-11, 17:10
Great! - thanks Maggie :)

Merry
19-08-11, 17:13
Ohhhhhhhhhh....not LMA then? Westmister Archives? ;( *weeps*

maggie_4_7
19-08-11, 17:24
What is it you're looking for?

Merry
19-08-11, 17:30
Further info on someone called John Brown (:rolleyes:), tailor, of Monmouth St, London who transfered some property to my 4xg-grandfather, James Smith, (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) in Wademill Herts in 1806. John Brown is probably connected to Sarah Brown who married Philip Grout who was also involved in the property transfer. (well, you did ask!).

I was hoping to find some records for John Brown, tailor, which might indicate his age (roughly) and therefore which generation he may have belonged to. :D

Nell
20-08-11, 17:27
Merry

It is St. Giles and the registers are on microfilm at the LMA (though not on Ancestry).

Merry
20-08-11, 20:25
Thanks Nell. I wonder if Ancestry will ever get them?

Nell
21-08-11, 15:15
Don't know Merry, I'm not sure why they aren't there now. But anything to do with London parishes is complex!

maggie_4_7
21-08-11, 16:34
*is confused*

What records are you thinking you might want to see for John Brown to prove what age he is?

Sorry if I seem confused but there are some records from Westminster on Ancestry. If the property transfer was 1806 he must have been born at least 20 if not more years before that.

Have you any idea, other than the address in Monmouth Street his occupation and name, about him, don't suppose you do otherwise you wouldn't be asking would you....!

I found a John Brown living in St Giles on the 1841 Census just off Drury Lane living on independent means (I think) bad copy.

Merry
21-08-11, 17:59
I'm hoping he might have been an old man in 1806. A burial would be nice, especially if it was after 1812 and recorded his age!! I think he may be either the brother or father of someone on my tree, so had the records been available, I would have looked first for a burial and if that didn't work, for his children's baps. If I found his burial I would be after his will! (not spotted anything likey yet, but I think he should have made one!)

I have already created a tree of nearly 200 people, waiting to make the one person connection to tie them to my main line, which is why I'm going to Hertford in the pouring rain tomorrow! The Browns are on the periphery of this "small" tree, but I have found several snippets of info which have helped a bit. No piece of info is to much when the surname is Smith!!!!!!!!!!

Merry
21-08-11, 18:00
I found a John Brown living in St Giles on the 1841 Census just off Drury Lane living on independent means (I think) bad copy.

Might be him, his son or grandson, depending on age!!