PDA

View Full Version : John Horner

kiterunner
19-08-11, 12:39
Sorry but this is another one of those "how can I prove this is the right person" problems.

My 3xg-grandfather John Horner was a farmer in Leytonstone / Low Leyton, Essex. He died in 1822 and was buried at All Saints, West Ham, 16 May 1822 age given as 69. His first marriage was 29 Sep 1778 to Charlotte Sweatman at St Mary's in Leyton, and his second about 1789 to an Elizabeth. I don't have witnesses' names from the marriages. John left a very long will and owned a lot of land, buildings etc in various places, but unfortunately his will doesn't mention any brothers, sisters, nieces or nephews.

I've just found a possible baptism on FamilySearch - John Horner baptised 15 Sep 1753 at Waltham Abbey, parents Thomas and Elizabeth. Siblings Ann 18 Feb 1749, Martha 19 Jun 1757, and Sarah 6 Feb 1745. My John did have daughters named Elizabeth and Sarah, but no son Thomas. But they didn't name a son after Charlotte's father Richard so that doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.

So, can anyone help find anything to prove whether this is my John's baptism or not, please? I had a look on TNA Documents Online and SEAX for a Thomas Horner will but couldn't see a likely one.

Phoenix
19-08-11, 15:30
Land tax?

If you know where he had property, see if you can find him on the relevant land tax assessments. If the previous own/occupier was Thomas Horner, it would be a strong suggestion of proof.

kiterunner
19-08-11, 17:34
Would I have to go to TNA to look at that, Phoenix?

Phoenix
22-08-11, 09:28
Tna have it for a single year. Majority of records are in county record offices. Paddy Neville did a lot of work indexing some of the southern counties, eg Surrey & Hants.

I know this was one of the sources LMA wanted to get online. It isn't as important sounding as parish registers, but can sort out families, particularly when you have several cousins with the same names and prs don't give ages at burial.