PDA

View Full Version : Chelmsford Record Office

Violet Kitten
18-08-11, 15:47
Is there any kind soul who lives near the above Record office and would be willing to look at the Parish records for St. Edward the Confessor, Romford for me please? I do have a specific *look-up* involved. I have searched the Bishops Transcipts at the LDS for this church but they are very patchy and entries are missing :(, specifically the one I want !
Thank you.

kiterunner
18-08-11, 16:30
I don't live near there but just wanted to point out that Essex Record Office is going to be launching their new Essex Ancestors site very soon (I've heard 30th August) which is going to have the parish registers included. I do hope it means all of them!

Info on here:
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

Violet Kitten
18-08-11, 17:25
I heard this too and had a look at the Seax site but only a very small portion of the records will be online sadly;(

kiterunner
18-08-11, 17:31
Where does it say which ones they're going to be, please, VK?

Violet Kitten
18-08-11, 17:40
I have just tried to retrace my steps on the site and couldn't find the information I gleaned earlier ................... will keep on trying and get back to you.

Violet Kitten
18-08-11, 17:50
Go onto the Seax site and on the right hand side of the screen it says :
Other Searches
click on Essex Ancestors
Put in the first letter of the parish you want to look at
select parish
select church
and off you go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this works

Sue from Southend
18-08-11, 18:42
Those records have been available for some time now. I think the rumour is that there will be more parishes digitised in hopefully a more easily navigated format!

kiterunner
18-08-11, 19:41
Yes, surely there will be more records added when the new site goes live, otherwise it would just be replacing a free service with a subscription one! I suspect it is going to be connected with FamilySearch as they have just uploaded some Essex PR indexes.

Nell
18-08-11, 20:48
This is what it said in the Lost Cousins newsletter

http://lostcousins.com/newsletters/aug11news.htm

"Essex Record Office will be launching Essex Ancestors on 30 August. This new service will offer unlimited pay-to-browse access to Essex parish registers and many wills, giving customers fuller and wider access to our holdings from the comfort of their homes. Parish register coverage will extend from at least 1538 to 1837 with the period 1837 to the present partly included at go-live date or planned imminently. Marriages within the last 50 years will be excluded, in compliance with government guidelines, however."

Jenoco
19-08-11, 03:23
Thanks for that info Nell - I'm really looking forward to browsing.

Violet Kitten
19-08-11, 17:15
Thanks for the link Nell .......... the period of time I specifically want is from 1841 to 1851 ;( Hope they put this time scale online very soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mind you I can think of lots of Essex parishes I can browse :d