PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Barber MMMMMM

Ann from Sussex
14-08-11, 19:08
Name - "official" name and what they were known as: SARAH BARBER

Date and place of birth: NORFOLK (Source:1851 census, no other place named) Bet. May 1789 and May 1790.(Source:age at death from burial record - LMA records on Ancestry)

Names of parents: Not known

Date and place of baptism: Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Married HENRY MOORE 16 Nov 1807.St James's, Piccadilly, Westminster,Middlesex. (Source: Marriage register of St James's. Copy held)

Occupation(s):
Glass grinder.(Source 1851 census) Her husband was a glass merchant and glass lampshade manufacturer and she seems to have carried on the business with her children after he died.

Addresses where they lived:
Russell Court, St Martin in the Fields, Westminster,Middlesex. (Sources: Son's baptism 1838 and 1841 census).
7 Newcastle Street, St Clement Danes, Westminster,Middlesex (Source: 1851 census)

Date, place and cause of death:
7th May 1853. Russell Court, St Martin in the Fields,Westminster,Middlesex. Cause not known.

Date and place of burial:
15th May 1853. St Martin in the Fields, Westminster,Middlesex.

Details of will / administration of their estate: None

Memorial inscription:None

kiterunner
14-08-11, 19:17
Who were the witnesses at her wedding, Ann?

kiterunner
14-08-11, 19:24
Also, if she was born 1789-90 then she was a minor when she married - is there any information about who gave consent for her to marry? And did they marry by banns or licence?

Ann from Sussex
14-08-11, 19:40
Witnesses were WILLIAM CLARK and JANE READ (or possibly HEAD but I think it is READ), neither of which names means a thing to me. There is no mention of any permission being given for her to marry. Remember though that the marriage took place in London and she came from Norfolk. I don't know where Henry Moore was from - he died in 1844 so I only know it wasn't Middlesex where they were living in 1841. My theory is they were both from Norfolk and they eloped to London where they weren't known.

I've found the following on the IGI, either of whom could be her:

1) Baptised at Billingsford,Norfolk, 15 Mar 1789 dau. of Joseph Barber and Mary Dye. Submitted entry with no provenance but FREEREG shows:
Baptised at St Leonard's,Billingford,Norfolk, 15 Mar 1789 dau. of Joseph Barber and Mary nee Dey

2) Baptised at Starston,Norfolk, 4 Jul 1789, dau. of John Barber and Sarah. (IGI Batch number 8532304)

As far as I can see, there is no way of knowing if either or neither of these two is my Sarah...and, of course, she may not feature on the IGI at all!

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, they were married by licence which I think adds weight to my theory that they eloped.

kiterunner
14-08-11, 19:48
If you look on the new FamilySearch website, there are some more Sarah Barber baptisms in Norfolk around 1790 as well as those ones you mentioned from the IGI.

Ann from Sussex
14-08-11, 20:18
Thanks Kate. I haven't visited this particular brickwall for a while so I'll have a look

Ann from Sussex
14-08-11, 20:25
No clues there. They all have mothers called either Sarah or Mary...both of which names were used by Henry and Sarah Moore...along with countless other parents at the time! Henry and Sarah only had one son and he was named Henry - for his father I assume - so father's names don't give me any clues either since none of them is Henry.