PDA

View Full Version : I've lost the link to Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts

Nell
08-08-11, 15:31
on familysearch, can someone kindly point me in the right direction?

edit: False alarm, I've found it

borobabs
08-08-11, 18:52
Oh Nell do share dont know if I have that or not please

Nell
08-08-11, 21:56
Hi Babs

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=EUROPE

is an index to lots of resources, including Norfolk Archdeacon's and Bishop's Transcripts, etc.

borobabs
08-08-11, 23:17
Thanks Nell hadnt lost it must have forgot about them being on from Norfolk

Nell
09-08-11, 09:07
My goodness - here is Kezia's baptism on familysearch

Keziah Saul
Baptism/Christening Date: 28 Feb 1773
Baptism/Christening Place: Beighton, Norfolk, England
Father's Name: Thomas Saul
Mother's Name: Sarah Saul

All those years of searching for Seal/s/es and Sales! If only I'd tried Saul - though I think the actual image looks like Soul.

Found it now, anyway, yay!

tenterfieldjulie
09-08-11, 11:28
Well done Nell. Great satisfaction when you demolish a brick wall. It gives me hope.
When I'm fully functioning, I must have a look and see if I can find my OH's Mary Callow, the convict, not the wrong one that I chased for years grrrrrh She was a Norfolk girl too.

Nell
09-08-11, 14:34
Good luck Julie. Do you have any idea where in Norfolk she came from?

tenterfieldjulie
10-08-11, 08:37
Nell, at Mary's trial 30/7/1822 at Norwich, it said it was her native place, she was 17. For years I thought she was the daughter of John and Hannah Callow nee Watts. Then on my TOGGG thread for Hannah Callow, Kate found on the 1841 Census, transcribed as Callen at St. George Colegate, Norwich - Hannah Callow, Publican 60 and Mary Smith 35 and Hannah Smith 14 and then the family in 1851 Census (minus Mary) with a brother of Hannah, Frederick Watts. Mary Ann Callow had married Richard Smith in 1824. My Mary Callow had been transported to Australia in 1823. Lots of Callow's in Norwich, but I haven't found another Mary born around 1805. I seem to remember she was working as a housemaid and was convicted with another girl of stealing clothing.

Carolyn P
10-08-11, 23:10
Helen, that's great news that you've found Keziah's baptism, and as she was a Saul it seems even more likely that our two families are going to be connected. Have you heard of The Sole Society ? I'm not a member but I know they have lots of info on Sole/Saul/Seal families, if you get stuck again they may have an answer for you.
I will look into our records to see if I can trace a Thomas and Sarah Saul.

Carolyn P
10-08-11, 23:22
I've just had a quick look at my tree and I've got 2 Thomas Sauls who could be possibles, one is my Sarah's oldest brother (born 1746 Acle) and the other is her youngest uncle (born 1731 Little Plumstead). I have got baptism dates for both of them but no note of who they married.

Nell
12-08-11, 08:35
Carolyn

I'm going to be busy this weekend as my brother (unfortunately not at all interested in family history) is visiting.

But I will investigate what you say as soon as I can. I'm aware there are quite a few Sale/s, Soul/Saul, Seales etc around in the Blofield area (Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Cantley & Limpenhoe) and they must all be linked far enough back.

Many thanks.