PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Sarah Dobson in 1851

BlueSavannah
04-08-11, 09:00
Morning All,

On the 1851 census, my ancestor, Stephen Dobson, is head of his household in Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire. He is 62 years old and lists himself as a widower. His wife is called Sarah Dobson born aprox 1790.

On the 61 and 71 censuses, their son William and his wife Sarah are living with their supposedly dead mother, Sarah Dobson in Great Bedwyn. Sarah is listed as being born Great Bedwyn.

I have found what is likely to be Sarah Dobson's burial at St Katherine's, on the 31st December 1874 aged 85.

I have tried to find Sarah on the 51 census with no joy. Would anyone be able to provide a second pair of eyes for me and take a look?

On a side note, she is listed as an outdoor pauper on the 71 census...does anyone have any idea what this means apart from she was poor?

Many thanks in advance.
Claire

kiterunner
04-08-11, 09:30
I think outdoor pauper means she didn't live in the workhouse. I'll have a look for her in 1851.

BlueSavannah
04-08-11, 09:55
Ah, I wondered if it meant she wasnt in the workhouse.

Many thanks for taking a look at the 51 census :)

kiterunner
04-08-11, 09:56
I couldn't find her, sorry.

BlueSavannah
04-08-11, 10:01
No problem Kite, I really appreciate you trying.

I find it very odd that she is nowhere to be found and her husband said he was a widower on this censu; yet she appears to reappear on the 61 and 71 census as the head of the house with her son. She herself is then a widow by the 61 census.

ElizabethHerts
04-08-11, 11:09
Claire, in my tree I have a couple of people who I couldn't find initially and then reappeared. One lady was in an institution under just her initial and surname.

My initial thought was could your Sarah Dobson be entered somewhere with just her initials, or surname, possibly in an institution.

I found this. I can't say that this is her or not, but it gives you an example of some entries made.

1851 Census
D?, S
ALDERBURY, Wiltshire
HO107 piece 1846 folio 493 page 9

BlueSavannah
04-08-11, 12:30
Hi Elizabeth,

I hadnt considered the institution possibility due to her reappearing at home, but I should have considered it.

Thank you for the link of the Alderbury person. I will take a further look in to this.

Many thanks

Granny Lynne
04-08-11, 12:48
Is it possible Sarah died and Stephen married again to another Sarah?

BlueSavannah
04-08-11, 13:15
It is possible I suppose but Sarah called William on the 61 and 71 census her son rather than step-son.

Also, i've checked for possible marriage for Stephen between the 51 census and his death in 1857 and there is only one in East London :(