PDA

View Full Version : Eliza Lydon/Lyden

tenterfieldjulie
02-08-11, 12:29
I've been telling friends how much help I have had on GF and so now I'm hoping you can help one of my friend's who has hit a brick wall. Her great grandmother, migrated to Canada and was known there as Eliza Lydon (occasionally Lyden). According to three Ontario censuses, she was born 1836, 1838 and 1840.

The family lore is that she was from Lynmouth or Lynton in Devon (definitely from England.)

On Ancestry - there is a Elizabeth Lyyden in 1841 UK census, aged 5, in Fore Street, Bradninch, Devon, and my friend guesses that she is with her grandparents, Thomas and Agnes Ireland.

In the 1851 UK census, Elizabeht Lyddon aged 17 is living in Bradninch with her parents, John and Agnes Lyddon and two siblings. She was listed as a rag sorter.

My friend has been unable to prove this Elizabeth Lyddon is the same one who turned up in Canada and who was her great-grandmother. She cannot find a Elizabeth Lyddon in the 1861 UK census and her great-grandmother Eliza was married and living in Canada by about 1857. No birth or baptism has been found in Devon or emigration documentation. We would be very grateful for anything anyone can find, or suggestions where would be the best place to look. Cheers Julie

kiterunner
02-08-11, 13:25
Who did Eliza Lydon marry, and when and where, Julie?

kiterunner
02-08-11, 15:24
Assuming she is the Eliza who is on a public tree on ancestry married to Henry Becker, ancestry says that on the 1891 Canada census she is Elizabeth Becker, 52, widowed, born England, father born England, mother born Scotland, and living with son Charles. I can't get the right image to load at the moment to confirm that, but Agness Lyddon gives her own birthplace as Bradninch Devon on the 1851 census, and on the 1841 census Elizabeth's grandparents are both born Devon, so it doesn't look as though her mother was Scottish.

There is a Henry Becker death in 1930 in Ontario, age 72, parents listed as Henry Becker born Germany and Eliza Layden born England, so there's another variation on her name. I think we really need to find Henry and Eliza's marriage.

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 07:13
Thanks Kate, I will email my friend (incidentally called Katie !!) and if she doesn't answer I'll phone her tonight. Many thanks.

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 07:16
Kate - you refer to "Agness" Lyddon, do you think she is related to Eliza/Elizabeth?

ElizabethHerts
03-08-11, 07:18
When and where did she marry Henry Becker, Julie?

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 07:26
I'm sure that it was around the Ontario area Elizabeth. I have just emailed "K" to confirm that Eliza did marry Henry Becker. I helped her some time back, but I'm not sure if I kept her details. I'll have to go and see what my filing is like!!

kiterunner
03-08-11, 08:11
Kate - you refer to "Agness" Lyddon, do you think she is related to Eliza/Elizabeth?

She's her mother - you mentioned her in your first post on this thread!

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 09:03
Oh embarasment... I didn't remember what I wrote that K told me.. too much sun today ... Where was Agness Lydon living in the 1851 Census please Kate?

ElizabethHerts
03-08-11, 09:09
They are living in West Town, Bradninch, Julie.

This is home territory to me - I grew up not far away.

ElizabethHerts
03-08-11, 09:13
LYDDON, John Head Married M 50 1801 Farm Labourer Silverton Devonshire
LYDDON, Agnes Wife Married F 44 1807 Bradninch Devonshire
LYDDON, Thomas Son Unmarried M 22 1829 Coal Dealer Bradninch Devonshire
LYDDON, Elizabeth Daughter Unmarried F 17 1834 Rag Sorter Bradninch Devonshire
LYDDON, John Son M 13 1838 Paper Rag Sorter Bradninch Devonshire

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 10:19
That is interesting Elizabeth, I do hope that K's ancestor comes from that part of Devon, as she would be delighted to hear about it. Her husband is a phychologist and I think they lived in England for some time, but of course she didn't know about this part of the family then.
Eliza moved from UK to Canada and then her family to Australia. Unfortunately K is out tonight. She was originally having trouble finding records in Canada and a Canadian friend of mine gave her some links which were of great help. Since then I've done so much research I can't quite remember hers.
From the first post you can see that she is trying to establish a link between Eliza in Canada and Uk and unless she can find her emigration I think it is going to be difficult. At the moment she can't find her in England after the 1851 Census, but then as the name could be mistranscribed she could be there. Can you see the family in 1861?

kiterunner
03-08-11, 10:25
At the moment she can't find her in England after the 1851 Census, but then as the name could be mistranscribed she could be there. Can you see the family in 1861?

It could be that the Eliza/beth Lydon from Devon got married in England though and is using her married name on later censuses. I'll have a look.

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 10:26
Kate that would be excellent. Thank you.

kiterunner
03-08-11, 10:32
This looks like Elizabeth's brother Thomas in 1861:
Fore St., Bradninch, Devon
Thomas Lyddon Head Mar 32 Coal Dealer Devon Bradninch
Jane Do Wife Do 30 Dressmaker Do Huxham
Richard Do Brother Un 31(?) Paper Maker Do Bradninch.

I suspect from the fact that he has a brother living with him that John and Agnes may have died by then - there is an Agnes Lyddon death Oct-Dec 1860 in Tiverton district, which would be the district for Bradninch. No age at death on the index in those days. And there is a John Lyddon death in Jul-Sep 1852 and a John Lydden in Oct-Dec 1854, same district.

kiterunner
03-08-11, 10:38
Well, at least you can rule out this Elizabeth now!

Oct-Dec 1860 marriage Tiverton district for Elizabeth Lyddon, possible spouses are Thomas Fare, Charles Nicholls and John Williams.

1861 census 14 Cullompton Hill, Bradninch
Thomas Fare Head Mar 21 Ag Lab Devon Cullompton
Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 27 Do Bradninch
Agnes Ireland Grandmother W 87 Do Do

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 10:48
Thanks Kate. Back to the drawing board then. We know for sure that isn't her in Devon.

kiterunner
03-08-11, 10:54
I think she really needs to find the marriage to Henry Becker to see what information is on that.

ElizabethHerts
03-08-11, 11:00
I've been telling friends how much help I have had on GF and so now I'm hoping you can help one of my friend's who has hit a brick wall. Her great grandmother, migrated to Canada and was known there as Eliza Lydon (occasionally Lyden). According to three Ontario censuses, she was born 1836, 1838 and 1840.

The family lore is that she was from Lynmouth or Lynton in Devon (definitely from England.)

Where do these censuses give as her place of birth, Julie?

ElizabethHerts
03-08-11, 11:01
Does your friend have a marriage record? If so, is her father given?

kiterunner
03-08-11, 11:05
Where do these censuses give as her place of birth, Julie?

They only say England. On the 1891 census it says her father was born in England and her mother in Scotland. On the 1861 census she is a Methodist but then her religion keeps changing.

ElizabethHerts
03-08-11, 11:07
That's a shame there is nothing more specific. It could make finding her and her family in England very difficult. Kate, as you say, the marriage certificate is crucial.

kiterunner
03-08-11, 11:07
Oh, I remember the Beckers have Stewarts next to them on most or all of the censuses and I was going to see if they might be related. Back in a minute...

tenterfieldjulie
03-08-11, 11:10
Many thanks Kate and Elizabeth for your help and interest. I have just spoken to my sister who lives near K and she is out tonight. I will speak to her tomorrow, I know she will be amazed to hear what you have found. I'm sure she has the marriage record. Unfortunately at the moment all I can remember, was that the part of Canada where she went was very remote and it was in the Ontario region. I wonder if I have kept her emails. I'll go have another look.

kiterunner
03-08-11, 11:15
Oh, I remember the Beckers have Stewarts next to them on most or all of the censuses and I was going to see if they might be related. Back in a minute...

No, I think it's just because both families stayed in the same place for a long time. *sigh*

tenterfieldjulie
14-08-11, 12:09
My apologies Kate and Elizabeth, my friend replied to my email address on the 5th, but I was only checking gmails :o:o...
She is amazed at how helpful you all are.:)
K. says that Eliza did marry Henry Becker somewhere between 1854 and 1857. She has tried and tried to find their marriage. When they were in Canada they were sent to Hamilton, where they think the marriage took place. At their Library they were told that they would have to go to Toronoto Archives to find the record, but they were unable, time wise, to turn around and go back.
Re your Post #3 Kate, my friend says that Charles on the 1891 Census is her grandfather and that it said Eliza was from Scotland, but on other records it says UK. Not sure what records she is refering to. I will get back to her and ask her why she thinks Eliza is from Devon? Thanks again.

kiterunner
14-08-11, 13:24
Yes, ancestry's transcription of the 1891 census says Elizabeth - born England, father born England, mother born Scotland; Charles - born Ontario, father born Germany, mother born Scotland! But when I click to view the image, it brings up the wrong page, so I can't check whether that is really what it says.