PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Eastwood, Possible Convict?

BlueSavannah
01-08-11, 08:11
Morning Everyone :)

Hope I am ok to run this man by you all. I have a Benjamin Eastwood in my tree. He was born in 1819 in Sheffield to Philip & Mary Ann. I havnt been able to find him at all for a number of years on the 1841 census but last night found a record on Ancestry that I think might be him.

Its on the UK prison hulk registers (I am sorry not sure how to link it here). It shows a Benjamin Eastwood aged 20 who was convicted on the 25th March 1839 in Sheffield. His crime was stealing (cannot read the second two words) and former conviction. He was single, and his occupation was a file smith. It looks like he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Bermuda on the 22nd August 1839.

I have Benjamin on the 1851 census at Acorn Street, Moorfields, Sheffield, with his wife Sarah and a child aged 1. The most likely marriage that looks possible for Benjamin and Sarah was in York in 1849. Again, this would make sense as Sarah is listed as born in York on the 51 and 61 census.

Are there any other records that might list anything more of Benjamin's travel to Bermuda and his return that might give some more information to prove if this is 'my' Benjamin or not?

Many thanks in advance

kiterunner
01-08-11, 08:45
It's "stealing wearing apparel", Claire. Also his previous convictions are on the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 database, also on ancestry:
2 months for larceny in 1835 in Derbyshire (age 16)
1 month for larceny in 1836 in Yorkshire (age 17)
That database also has the 1839 conviction.

I think you would have to check at Sheffield Record Office for the court records.

BlueSavannah
01-08-11, 08:58
Thank you Kite for clarifying what the other words were :)

I will take a look at the other records; I hadnt seen those.

I will drop an email to the Sheffield Archives to see if they hold any further information.