PDA

View Full Version : record pilot advice please

garstonite
31-07-11, 09:22
good morning...the last hour I have been researching my 3 x g grandmother
Mary Davies b 1800 Myddle , Shropshire ...she married Thomas Adams b Marton Myddle 1806... ..children Ann 1828 /Mary 1830 / William 1834 / Martha 1835 /Hannah 1840
So
Mary Davies - Record Pilot - Myddle ,Shropshire...christened 1800 parents Edward and Ann

so I found other christenings to Edward and Ann in Myddle - possible siblings
George Davies 1797
Elizabeth Davies 1812
Joseph Davies 1814
Thoma Davies 1819
Richard Davies 1823
William Davies 1824
QUESTION IS .....how can I prove who are the siblings of My Mary Davies ?
as an Ag Lab and working the many farms around this area (the family are in either Marton Myddle / Myddle / Astley for up to 60 years )
I am not asking for research - just advice - is there anyone ellse had a similar problem ?
allan:eek:

Elderflower
31-07-11, 10:29
I would start by looking for all marriages in Shropshire between an Edward Davies and an Ann between the years 1790 and 1830. If there is more than one, the dates might give a clue as to which children belong to each couple. Looking at the dates of Baptism you have found, there is a span of 27 years between the first and last one. Of course, it is not impossible that they are all children of one couple, especially as they all have different names. It is also possible that some of the later ones were not Baptised as babies but as older children.

Pat

garstonite
31-07-11, 10:38
Thanks Pat.....i am tempted to add George Davies b 1797 ...but the others seem questionable...also I thought that maybe Ann died after the birth of Mary Davies 1800...and Edward re-married ANOTHER Ann around 1809 ?...I suppose it is possible..
I will search for Edward and Ann marriages and see how many I can find around the region....cheers
allan

kiterunner
31-07-11, 14:16
I think the first thing I would want to do is find something to prove that your Mary Davies is the one who was baptised 1800 with parents Edward and Ann. Looking at FamilySearch, there are a lot of Mary Davieses baptised at Myddle - for instance, one in 1798 with parents Hugh and Margaret, and one in 1803 with parents John and Elizabeth. The fact that your Mary's first daughter was named Ann looks good but I would try to get the witnesses' names from Mary's marriage, and also look for marriages of her possible siblings, especially after her marriage, to see if she was a witness at any of them. Also you could see if either Edward or Ann died after the start of civil registration in the hope that Mary was the informant on their death certificate(s).

Presumably the marriage is the one on FamilySearch, Thomas Adams / Mary Davies 10 Apr 1827 St Mary, Shrewsbury.

Then if it does look as though your Mary is the daughter of Edward and Ann, I would try to get a look at the actual parish register entries for the baptisms of those other children you listed, as there will be more information, definitely for the post-1813 ones and perhaps for the others, abode and father's occupation, and that might help you work out whether they are Mary's siblings.

kiterunner
31-07-11, 14:46
Oh dear, now I've had a look for them on the censuses, I'm wondering whether you can even be sure that your Mary was born in Myddle? If this is the family in 1841 and 1851 then all we know from the censuses is that she was born in Shropshire.

1841 Marton, Middle, Shropshire
Thomas Adams 35 Ag Lab Y
Mary Do 40 Y
Ann Do 13 Y
Mary Do 11 Y
William Do 8 Y
Martha Do 6 Y
Hannah Do 1 Y

1851 Marton
Thomas Adams Head Mar 45 Ag Lab Salop Astley
Ann Do Wife M 32 Montgomery Llanfyllin
Hannah Do Daur 11 Salop Middle.

garstonite
31-07-11, 16:47
Thanks very much Kate...I didn`t have the 1851 census ...as all the family were Astley /Myddle/ Marton Myddle /Hadnall ,I took it for granted Mary was b Myddle cos of the 1841 census...OH DEAR is correct...I would say she wasn`t born in Myddle and I may have the wrong parents for her in my tree..........thanks again ...I am glad you pointed that out to me...frustrating..but better I have the right Mary .
so who is Ann in the 1851 census ?...a new wife ?...cheers....allan

kiterunner
31-07-11, 16:51
so who is Ann in the 1851 census ?...a new wife ?

She must be.

garstonite
31-07-11, 17:17
Cheers....I don`t have her either...back to the drawing board....allan

garstonite
31-07-11, 17:29
Yes I do...just checked....Ann Thomas b 1819 Llanfyllin,Powys Wales....so that should be Montgomery ??...or is Montgomery now Powys....anyway...going to look for Ann Thomas and parents....thanks again Kate....allan

kiterunner
31-07-11, 17:30
Powys is one of the new counties, Allan, and Montgomeryshire one of the old ones.