PDA

View Full Version : Australia, New South Wales censuses - ancestry

Mary from Italy
21-07-11, 18:44
No idea when they were added, but I've just found the 1891 and 1901 censuses for NSW, Australia (with images) on Ancestry:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1733
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1738

They both say "Free Index", so presumably even people without an Ancestry sub should be able to view them.

From the Ancestry blurb:

About 1891 New South Wales, Australia Census

This is a collection of the 1891 Census of New South Wales. The census was taken on April 5, 1891, but only the collector’s books remain from the original records. Individual’s names aren’t included other than the household information that was recorded, for instance, name, number in household, and number of Chinese or Aboriginal people. While this limits the extent of the census’ usefulness, it is also the first census since 1841 to have survived. A fire at the Garden Palace in 1882 destroyed the 50 years of census records held there. The 1891 Census is still a good tool for placing families in a particular place and time, although individuals would be a little tougher to find information on using solely these records.

The records include:

* Name and number of district
* County
* Sub-district
* Locality
* Name of householder
* Total number of persons in schedule
* Number of Chinese or Aboriginal people included

About 1901 New South Wales, Australia Census

The 1901 Census for the state of New South Wales, Australia is contained in this database. Taken on the 31 of March, 1901 and organized alphabetically by district, the census records the surnames of each head of household and the number of people in the household. Gender is indicated by the column in which the number of householders is written along with columns indicating whether persons of either Chinese or Aboriginal ethnicity were found in the household. The State of New South Wales gives no warranty regarding the data's accuracy, completeness, currency or suitability for any particular purpose.

In New South Wales the first records akin to census records, called Musters, were taken by the colonial government to determine how much of the population needed food from the government stores and how many were self-supporting. Musters were also used as a means of control over the convict population. As the Governor could not compel free men to a Muster, censuses were conducted beginning in 1828 with the same purpose in mind, but taken by collectors. The collectors completed printed forms in their appointed districts, and then turned them over to the local Commissioner or Bench of Magistrates who in turn forwarded them to the Colonial Secretary’s Office. Although more information was recorded in the 1901 Census than householder names and numbers, these records have not survived.

Some of the above information was taken from:

* Short Guide 7 – NRS 685, 1901 Census Collectors’ Books (Kingswood, New South Wales, Australia: New South Wales Government State Records).

Information in this database:

* Surname of head of household
* Residence
* District & sub-district
* County
* Number of persons in household
Information that may be in this database:

* Type of dwelling
* Borough
* Municipal district or ward
* Township or village

kiterunner
21-07-11, 19:12
I think it's only the index that's free, Mary, not the images. They were indexed by the World Archives Project volunteers which is why the index has to be free.

Not sure when they went live; I'll see if I can find out. Anyway, it's exciting!

Mary from Italy
21-07-11, 19:21
It's very frustrating that it only gives the householders' names, but at least it tells you how many people of each sex were in the household.

Unfortunately the Christian names aren't always given, so Fred Bloggs may be indexed as F Bloggs, Mr Bloggs or even just Bloggs.

kiterunner
21-07-11, 21:53
They went live at the beginning of March this year:
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=8757

I have a few more people to look up now though, so thanks for the reminder!

Mary from Italy
21-07-11, 21:56
They went live at the beginning of March this year:
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=8757

Good heavens, how did I miss that?

I've been waiting ages for them.