PDA

View Full Version : Same couple married twice, or two different ones?

Mary from Italy
19-07-11, 20:29
I've just found a couple of entries on FreeReg which I'm very puzzled about.

Henry Jackson OTP married Sarah Adcock OTP at St. Michael's, Lichfield:

(i) on 6th June 1768

(ii) on 26th August 1768

The first marriage is on the old and new familysearch sites, and the source is the BTs.
The second marriage is just a submitted entry on the old familysearch site.
I assume FreeReg must have got it from the PRs.

I would have assumed that one of the dates was mistranscribed, or that one related to banns and the other to the marriage, but the witnesses to the two marriages are different.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=39352

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=39360

According to FreeReg, both marriages were by licence, and all parties signed.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that two couples with identical names would get married in the same church in such a short time span.

Can anyone think of any other plausible explanation?

If I have time, I'll be going to the Lichfield RO this summer, so I should be able to look at the marriage licences, but I should be interested in any comments in the meantime.

Olde Crone
19-07-11, 20:34
Mary

The simplest and most immediate answer that springs to mind is that the submitted record is wrong, for whatever reason - the submitter copied the wrong information?

OC

Mary from Italy
19-07-11, 20:38
I don't think so, because it's identical to one of the FreeReg records, which quotes the witnesses' names, and FreeReg transcriptions are usually very reliable.

kiterunner
19-07-11, 21:42
Is one from the PR's and the other from the BT's? In which case the BT one could have been copied out wrong.

Also FreeREG transcriptions aren't always from the original records; sometimes they are from printed transcriptions etc.

Olde Crone
19-07-11, 21:51
I've had a poke around and I agree with Kate.

If you look on Hugh Wallis for St Michael, there are TWO marriage registers for the same time period, with consecutive batch numbers. One shows the Jackson marriage. The other does not. One batch is for the BTs, as you said, but I cannot find the other batch number on the familysearch site because it will not let me stay on the old site to search batch numbers, grrrr.

I think it is one marriage with the details mangled in transcription or at the time between PR and BT.

OC

Mary from Italy
19-07-11, 21:59
I think it is one marriage with the details mangled in transcription or at the time between PR and BT.

Thanks, Kite and OC. Yes, I suppose an error in copying to the BTs at the time is the most likely scenario - maybe the spouses of one marriage and the date and witnesses of another were accidentally merged.

Anyway, I'll report back when I've had a chance to look at the PRs and marriage licences at Lichfield.

Mary from Italy
19-07-11, 22:00
Is one from the PR's and the other from the BT's?

One is from the BTs according to famsearch; no idea about the other one.
There doesn't seem to be any mention of the source on the FreeReg transcriptions, unless I've missed something, which is a pity.

Also FreeREG transcriptions aren't always from the original records; sometimes they are from printed transcriptions etc.

That's interesting - I didn't realise that.

kiterunner
19-07-11, 22:03
There doesn't seem to be any mention of the source on the FreeReg transcriptions, unless I've missed something, which is a pity.

I can't see any either.