PDA

View Full Version : Northing Family of Lincolnshire

Del 80
18-07-11, 18:33
Hi there, Anyone researching the Northing family of Lincolnshire? My Grandmother was Hilda Maude Northing , born 1895 at Welby Lincs. her parents were Henry Northing and Sarah Hill , she married Arthur Ayto in 1923 at Welby. Any information on her parents would be most welcome. Regards Del.

Merry
18-07-11, 18:59
Del, do you have any census data for Hilda's parents?

kiterunner
18-07-11, 19:05
A good place to start is the 1901 census to see where and when they were born:
Welby Village, Lincolnshire
Henry Northing Head M 34 Groom (Domestic) Lincoln - Welby
Mary Northing Wife M 33 Lincoln - Grantham
William H Do Son 11 Lincoln - Haydor Quarries
Thomas E Do Son 8 Lincoln - Welby
Hilda M Do Daur 5 Lincoln - Welby
Doris M Do Daur 7m Lincoln - Welby.

So Sarah must have died after your grandmother was born. There is a likely death Apr-Jun 1906 Grantham district, age 38.

This is the family in 1891, at Haydor Quarries:
Henry Northing Head M 24 Agricultural Laborer Lincolnshire Welby
Sarah Do Wife M 24 Do Grantham
William H Do Son 1 Do Haydor
Henry Ruches Boarder Widr 64 Mason Norfolk Longham.

The 1891 census page is written so neatly it could almost be one of those example pages they printed to show the enumerators how to fill it in, and ancestry have still managed to mistranscribe William's age!

There is a John Northing age 31 and his family next door to them, very likely related.

But as Henry and Sarah don't have any parents or siblings actually in their household with them on the census, I would say your best bet to trace them back is to get a copy of their marriage certificate to get their fathers' names so you're sure of tracing the right families.

But it looks pretty likely that Henry will be the one who is age 4 on the 1871 census with parents Thomas and Susannah, and he has a brother John the right age to be that one next door on the 1891. Thomas Northing and Susanna are also together on the 1861.

Merry
18-07-11, 19:07
So Sarah must have died after your grandmother was born. There is a likely death Apr-Jun 1906 Grantham district, age 38.

So Mary is Sarah?

kiterunner
18-07-11, 19:08
Oops, got confused there! I was typing while I was looking stuff up, lol. I'll see if I can figure out where I've gone wrong...

Merry
18-07-11, 19:09
No, I meant I think she is! Henry is a widower in 1911 and there's no other death or marriage to fit otherwise.

kiterunner
18-07-11, 19:10
Hmmm, yes, it does say Mary on the 1901 census so at first I thought she was a second wife, but Sarah's death is after that census, and then there isn't a Mary listed on the 1911 census (according to the free index), so I'm guessing Mary is Sarah after all.

kiterunner
18-07-11, 19:21
There are a few people who have them in public trees on ancestry but none of them has attached an image of the marriage cert. One of them has Sarah's parents as William Hill and Emma Brewster but you would need to check.

Del 80
19-07-11, 17:51
Just discovered that Sarah was known in the family as MARY, one of those things that confuse us years later!! Thanks Merry and Kite.