PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Pitman died Nov 1732 - WHERE?

scuda
18-07-11, 14:29
I'm trying to find the death of Thomas Pitman which, according to a later deed, occurred "on or about November 1732". All I know of him so far is:

24 Jan 1695 Baptised Stow on the Wold, Glos (parents Thomas & Grace Pitman)
Nov 1711 Apprenticed to John Page, Coach & Harness Maker, London
Nov 1724 he was somewhere where it would be difficult/impossible to pay money due in his father's will, which stated that “upon consideration of his present circumstances“ money due to him should be held in trust by the overseers of the will (his father died May 1731, probate May 1734)

So, what had happened to him? I've been thinking he may have been transported, as I've found a Thomas Pitman being convicted at the Old Bailey in 1722 http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?path=sessionsPapers%2F17220228.xml. It was not an uncommon name, so it could be someone completely different, but it would explain the clause in the will. Is there anywhere I can follow up on this, or find his death if he was transported? Or did he just die in England? If so I haven't found him.

scuda

kiterunner
18-07-11, 15:38
If it's him, then at that time he would have been transported to America but it could be very difficult to find his death. One of my ancestors was transported to America in 1746 and I've never managed to find out what happened to her.

Merry
18-07-11, 16:10
I have a similar phrasing in a will in my tree and in that case the beneficiary was a certified lunatic. The money held in trust eventually passed to his mother as this was the terms of his will made two decades before when he was of sound mind.

scuda
18-07-11, 21:03
Thanks both of you. If he was a lunatic, I suppose I might be able to find his burial somewhere in England, but if he was transported it sounds as though I shall probably have to forget him. Shame.

scuda

Merry
18-07-11, 21:27
Could "present circumstances" mean financial circumstances?? Perhaps it wouldn't have been helpful for him to inherit a large amount at that particular time? (I can't really think of why, but.....)

scuda
19-07-11, 08:17
Perhaps it wouldn't have been helpful for him to inherit a large amount at that particular time? (I can't really think of why, but.....)

I hadn't thought of it that way - like you, I can't really think of a reason, but it sounds possible. Perhaps he was likely to gamble it all away, or something like that.

scuda