PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best forum?

Merry
18-07-11, 13:52
BK6 updated from this thread

Yeh, this one!!!............No, maybe not this one in this case!

I'm trying to read all the 'stuff' on a WW1 medal card but some of the abreviations are beyond me. I can post it here, but did wonder where would be the 'best' place? I looked at The Great War forum but got very lost and eventually realised I wasn't even on that forum any more........:o

Rachel
18-07-11, 15:01
Have you tried Rootschat ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=300

Merry
18-07-11, 15:28
No, because I am scared of how it works. :o

kiterunner
18-07-11, 15:33
Post it on here anyway and see if we manage to figure it out before trying somewhere else.

Stella
18-07-11, 15:34
Merry, RootsChat is very good. I had a lot of help on there a long time ago. It is very simple to get the hang of too. It must be if I can navigate myself around it!:d

Merry
18-07-11, 15:51
lol Stella

I have managed to register on Rootschat just in case (they already have a member called Merry :mad: so I had to be someone else!!), but in the meantime......

This is the medal card for John Claud Hamilton (sorry Kite!)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Shauns%20Family%20History%20Photos/JohnHamiltonWW1MedalCard.jpg

Rachel
18-07-11, 15:55
Rootschat is not scary
Or do you mean it might do scary things of which we know nothing ? :eek:

I've been pic restoring on there since I started and some of the people are very nice and helpful, especially me :)

You can do up to 500 kb pics on there without going through Pbucket ~ just upload from your computer

Stella
18-07-11, 15:55
There are some really clever folk on RootChat, Merry, so give them a try if you're stuck.

Merry
18-07-11, 15:57
His army record doesn't seem to have survived. I have looked at other records with the same number (56967) in case his name was something else at a different date, but didn't spot anything.

Merry
18-07-11, 16:00
I never seem to click on the right place in Rootschat to find the responses to questions asked, so because I don't 'get' it, I never use it.

kiterunner
18-07-11, 16:02
BWM = British War Medal
VM = Victory Medal
Then they were forfeited then I think returned. I know I eventually found a forum where someone could explain what the bit on my great-uncle's card about forfeiture meant; will see if I can find which forum it was!

SWB = Silver War Badge which means he was honourably discharged because he was injured or ill. There is a separate roll for these which may have more information on it.

O i/c = Officer in Charge

kiterunner
18-07-11, 16:10
And I found a thread from B-G Forums which says that CRV = Certified Receipt Voucher and means the medal(s) were returned to the War Office.

Merry
18-07-11, 16:12
Thanks. He wasn't entitled to some of the medals as he didn't serve abroad. Interesting about the Silver War Badge roll. I suppose that is at Kew?

kiterunner
18-07-11, 16:24
Yes, it is. A researcher looked up the entry for my great-uncle once and it had his dates of enlistment and discharge on there.

Merry
18-07-11, 16:34
I need it to say "previously know as"!!! lol

kiterunner
18-07-11, 16:39
There isn't a column for that. :(

Stella
18-07-11, 17:27
I never seem to click on the right place in Rootschat to find the responses to questions asked, so because I don't 'get' it, I never use it.

Merry, you can opt to be emailed when there is a reply and there will be a link in the email for you to click on which will take you straight to the reply to a thread of yours. If you scroll down to the section 'Special Interests', there is a section there for Armed Forces connections.

Merry
18-07-11, 17:29
Thanks, Stella :)

Joy Dean
18-07-11, 22:19
Re rootschat - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php - for instance, for me, at the top is:
Welcome back, JoyKM, you have 41 messages, 0 are new.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Monday 18 July 11 23:17 BST (UK)

Then scroll down to http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html :-)

maggie_4_7
19-07-11, 07:56

You're not the only one whenever I go there I feel the same.

Merry
19-07-11, 11:01
*feels relieved* :o