PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Census Help Please.

Punchs Mum
16-07-11, 12:53
Have just spent too much time trying to find someone unsuccessfully using the 1911 Census Summary books on Ancestry but have found them on the 1911 Website but have no credits.

If someone would check for me I would be very gratefull!

I am looking for Hilda Agnes Evans in Tendring Essex. Her date of birth is stated as 1879. (I have it as 1874)

Am interested in who else is with her on the Census.

Lesley

Granny Lynne
16-07-11, 13:14
I'll have a look on FMP for you Lesley.

kiterunner
16-07-11, 13:15
You can find out the names of other people in the same household using the free search on the 1911 site -

William Evans 42
Fredrick Bridge Evans 7

Sue from Southend
16-07-11, 13:15
EVANS, William Head Married 8 years M 42 1869 Boatman H M C Guard, b Isle of Skye Inverness Scotland
EVANS, Hilda Agnes Wife Married F 32 1879 House Wife, b Frangapore Bengal India
EVANS, Fredrick Bridge Son Single M 7 1904, b Gosport Hampshire

Address 8 Coastguard Buildings, Harwich

Granny Lynne
16-07-11, 13:17
Here you go Lesley.

EVANS, William Head Married 8 years M 42 1869 Boatman H M C Guard Isle of Skye Inverness Scotland
EVANS, Hilda Agnes Wife Married F 32 1879 House Wife Frangapore Bengal India
EVANS, Fredrick Bridge Son Single M 7 1904 Gosport Hampshire

Granny Lynne
16-07-11, 13:17
Snap!!

Sue from Southend
16-07-11, 13:18
You can tell it's a miserable day - we're all eager to do look ups!!:D

Punchs Mum
16-07-11, 13:23
Thanks Everyone!

That certainly must be them with a 'surprise' son born in Gosport!! I thought they were childless!! Hilda was definately born in India which confirms to me it is the right one! Also, didn't know her husband was born in Scotland as he was in the Army when Hilda married him in Gosport!

Thanks again! Have now to check out Frederick!

Lesley

Punchs Mum
17-07-11, 10:25
Following on from my thread posted yesterday, I did finally manage to view the original 1911 Census on Ancestry for William Evans and Hilda Evans with a son I knew nothing about!

William was in fact, in the Navy when he married Hilda in 1902 in Gosport, not the Army as I mistakenly said. He obviously came out of the Navy by 1911 and was listed as a boatman with the Coastguards in Essex.

Does anyone know if there are searchable records for the Coastguards and also guide me to search for his Naval Records. I have found a photo of him in uniform as a rating with HMS Mars on the hat band.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Lesley

kiterunner
17-07-11, 10:59
I don't know of any online coastguard records, but his Navy records are on TNA site:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

Search for William Evans with birthplace Skye and only one comes up, born 1870 so I presume that's him. You have to pay £3.50 to view it.

Punchs Mum
17-07-11, 11:40
That's great Kiterunner! It has got to be him as the Dob matches and also the birth place!

Will invest in the £3.50 download later today when I have a bit more time to concentrate on what I am doing!

How you folks manage to know so much amazes me!

Thanks for your help.

Lesley

Sue from Southend
17-07-11, 12:09
The TNA also holds Coastguard records -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/coastguard.htm

Although they are not indexed you can download large chunks up (to 800 pages of pdf :eek:) of documents for free and search. Obviously you'd need to have a good idea of what you were looking for and they say you need a good broadband service.... And a lot of patience too I'd imagine!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/digital-microfilm.asp

This might include your chap - and its "only" 538 pages!!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7960732&queryType=1&resultcount=114

Punchs Mum
17-07-11, 12:24
Have just downloaded his Service Records from the National Archives and it does confirm that he was transferred to the Coast Guards when is was demobbed from the Navy! Also makes good reading re the ships he served on including HMS Mars!

Sue, Will take a look at those documents later! Am supposed to be cooking dinner but this is more interesting although OH doesn't think so!

Have to now work out how to print the document of his sevice without the black ink border running round it as my ink levels are low on printer. Have saved it to my computer though.

Thanks again for your assistance. Off to do the boring things now..... like getting dinner!

Lesley