PDA

View Full Version : Clarke & McDowell families Co. Down

Del 80
10-07-11, 13:58
Hi Again, have re-posted this as title was wrong [bit of a novice i'm afraid].Anyone have any information on Clarke & McDowell families from Co. Down Ireland? Samuel Clarke m Susanna McDowell 1896 at Kilmegan. Any information most welcome. Regards Del.

brenmac
10-07-11, 15:50
try googling the name see what comes up brenda xxx

Del 80
10-07-11, 16:10
Hi Brenda, Have tried Google and all the other obvious sites, Raymonds, RosDavies and Emerald Ancestors, but with no luck, Thanks for Your interest, Regards Del.

kiterunner
10-07-11, 16:40
The marriage is listed on Ancestry Ireland aka Ulster Historical Foundation
www.ancestryireland.com

If you buy some credits on there you can view their transcript of the marriage record, or you can order a copy of the certificate from the Irish GRO or Northern Irish GRO, or from the local register office for where the marriage took place.

The free search on Ancestry Ireland gives the name of Samuel's father as Bernard and the name of Susanna's father as Hugh.

Have you already found them on the 1901 and 1911 censuses?

Del 80
11-07-11, 19:08
Hi Kiterunner,Thanks for Your reply. On the 1901 census Susanna Clarke is in Ardrosson Scotland with her mother Anne McDowell, a widow, but there is no sign of Samuel Clarke her husband.I have Anne m/s Smith, or Smyth, marrying Hugh McDowell, in Ireland in 1860 i think, his father was also Hugh McDowell,and that's about it, Regards Del.

kiterunner
11-07-11, 22:13
Presumably the 1901 census says Susanna is married, not widowed?

Have you looked at the transcription for Samuel and Susanna's marriage (or ordered the certificate)?

Del 80
11-07-11, 22:31
On the 1901, Susanna is given as married,Where can I view the transcription of the marriage of Samuel and Sussana please? Del.

kiterunner
11-07-11, 22:49
Click on the link in post #4 above. It costs £4 (4 GBP) to view one record.

Or there is http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie

but it is saying there are 2 records on the marriage on there and it would cost 8 Euros. I'm not sure whether it would be worth the extra to view both records or not as one might just be banns or something.