PDA

View Full Version : John and James McDonagh, Gurteen, Sligo

tenterfieldjulie
10-07-11, 10:36
I'm would love to trace two sons of John and Bridget McDonagh nee Finn. They were baptised in the RC Church at Gurteen and were raised on a small farm in the Gurteen towland of Gurtigara/Gurtygara. I have been told that neither brother married. These men were Peter's grandfather, Mathew McDonagh's two brothers, John, bapt 27/11/1866 and James, bapt 8/6/1869. John emigrated to England and worked and died in the north of England or possibly Northumberland. James emigrated to the USA and died in a nursing home in San Francisco - probably a Catholic facility. It seems sad to think that so little is known of the two men, who died so far away from their family and homeland. I think they would have been labourers and probably they do not have a headstone, but it would be great to put it on record where there last resting place is. Many thanks if anyone can assist. I wouldn't know where to start.

kiterunner
10-07-11, 10:46
This could be John on the 1891 census:
Irlam Moss, Barton upon Irwell, Lancashire
John McDonough Lodger S 25 Canal Labourer Ireland Sligo

kiterunner
10-07-11, 10:53
And this could be James on the 1900 US census:
Welst(?) St, San Francisco, California
McDonough James Head born Jan 1871 age 29 single born Ireland both parents born Ireland, year of immigration 1899 occupation sexton, can read and write.

kiterunner
10-07-11, 10:55
Hmm, but that James in San Francisco is married to a Johanna on the 1910 census. Working as a car repairer for the SF Railroad.

tenterfieldjulie
10-07-11, 13:48
Kate that is really great. The information I acquired was from conversation when I was in Ireland from his 80 year old niece. It is possible that he married and she didn't know. He did write back to his brother, her father, because she knew he ended up dying in a nursing home.

Janet
11-07-11, 01:49
Welsh Street?

tenterfieldjulie
11-07-11, 06:14
Not sure what you mean?

kiterunner
11-07-11, 07:25
That place I put as Welst(?) Street. Welsh sounds a lot more likely!

tenterfieldjulie
11-07-11, 07:50
Duh me!! Sorry Kate I didn't read your post properly. Kate where would be the best place to look to see if I can find James Immigration in 1899? The problem would be that I couldn't be sure if he would be sailing from Ireland or England. He is aged 29 and a sexton, not sure if he would have that training in Ireland. I suppose it is possible if he worked for the railways.

Janet
12-07-11, 00:33
Welsh Street exists in S.F. It's in the right place, not far from the docks and the Embarcadero. Exactly where you would expect to find a sexton.

You remember that old video I posted of San Francisco just days before the big 1906 earthquake, Julie? About half way down Market Street take a right and walk 15 minutes, you're on Welsh Street.

tenterfieldjulie
12-07-11, 05:20
Thanks Janet. Probably walked there. I remember we got off a cable car and walked miles in the wrong direction to our hotel.... wouldn't like to do it today .. don't think the pulse rate would every slow down.

Merry
12-07-11, 06:32
I've been looking at the one in England. Found a married man (m 8 yrs) in 1911 but living in Stockport which ain't Northumberland! He may have died in Stockport in the 1940s (see FreeBMD), but there are also deaths right age in Co Durham and Sunderland which are also not Northumberland, but are nearer!! Not sure if those people are on the 1911 census though.

Have you checked John isn't still in Ireland in 19901/11?? (Kate's looks a good match though because of birthplace)

tenterfieldjulie
12-07-11, 08:13
Think the boys left home as soon as possible, according to their niece. The farm struggled to support the family and I don't think there was work in Ireland. I think the death at Sunderland sounds most likely. As I recall the niece was definite about the uncle in the States, but hesitated about the one in UK - I think she said something like the North of England and then Northumberland - which could have come from North of England - Sunderland and mixed the two - Northumberland!! Thanks for your help everyone. Wonder if I can get to Sunderland ...

Merry
12-07-11, 09:00
If the married one in Stockport isn't the one (because he may be the man who also died there), then I tried the 1911 census for unmarried possibilites.

There are only two the right age and one of those said b County Mayo, so I ignored him. The other one is a boarder at 1 Willoughby Street, Gainsborough, Lincs (so, not really the right area but he had a couple of decades to get to Sunderland!)

He is aged 43 single gen labourer b Ireland Sligo. His name is spelled McDonald, but I guess that could be a mistake by the householder, James Brocklesby, who was a bricklayer. (they had two irish boarders, but the other one is from Clonmel which is in Co. Tipperary)

tenterfieldjulie
12-07-11, 09:07
Thanks Merry. Will keep them on file. I wonder if I got the death cert for the one who dies in Sunderland, would it help? I suppose if it had the right info.. but then English certs don't give parents do they?

Merry
12-07-11, 09:42
No, I'm not sure if the cert would help too much unless the informant was his widow or child, suggesting it might be the wrong cert!! it might be difficult to prove you have the right cert.