PDA

View Full Version : Percy Talbot WALL

Phoenix
08-07-11, 12:42
This family is really starting to bug me.

John Henry Wall b 1849 & Ellen nee Roberts have a fully fledged family in Hackney in 1881

George Henry Wall 8 (b 1872 Islington)
Henry Garnet Wall 6 (b 1874 Islington)
Nelly Louisa Wall 4 (b 1876 Hackney)
Emma Rose Wall 2 (b 1878 Hackney)
Percy Talbot Wall 5 mo (poss Robert Percy b Hackney 1881???)

The family legend is that John Henry Wall went to Australia & became a cricketer. (Aged over 30??)

Certainly there appears to be no trace of them in England on any later census. I thought Percy might be a good bet to follow, but there's nothing obvious, at least in the Sydney bdms.

Can anyone see anything i've missed?

kiterunner
08-07-11, 12:44
What were the names of John Henry Wall's parents, Phoenix?

Phoenix
08-07-11, 12:53
John Wall & Mary nee Lanning.

John died in Soho when the children were small, Mary lived first with her parents in Holborn/Marylebone, then south of the river, looking after her daughter's orphaned children from 1891/2 onwards.

Merry
08-07-11, 12:55
Why can't I find a birth reg for any of them? When did the parents marry?

Merry
08-07-11, 12:56
Ah! Just seen the date on your other thread!! :)

Phoenix
08-07-11, 12:57
Garnet & Talbot are, I assume, from Ellen's side of the family. I've had absolutely no success in finding her family as Roberts is such a common name and Chester, the birthplace given in 1881 could easily mean a village or even town nearby

Merry
08-07-11, 12:59
I read that as Chelsea! lol (which it clearly isn't!)

How do you know they (the children) were b in Islington and Hackney?

Phoenix
08-07-11, 13:01
I'm not helped by Wall being a common name and VERY common in Lambeth where the family started off.

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:02
I can't see a death for a John Henry Wall with parents John and Mary in Australia, but I thought I'd seen a George Henry Wall death whose father was called John Henry and mother Eleanor or something, but now I can't find it! I can't remember which state he was in. If I manage to find him again, I'll let you know.

Phoenix
08-07-11, 13:04
sorry, Merry, I went through the indexes for birth registrations. The family were in Hackney (14 Mentmore tce) in 1881. The census isn't at all helpful, but with the possible exception of the eldest child, the details fit exactly.

Phoenix
08-07-11, 13:05
I can't see a death for a John Henry Wall with parents John and Mary in Australia, but I thought I'd seen a George Henry Wall death whose father was called John Henry and mother Eleanor or something, but now I can't find it! I can't remember which state he was in. If I manage to find him again, I'll let you know.

Ooh, that sounds promising!

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:08
Ah, this looks promising - Australia Deaths Index on ancestry has Robert Percy Wall dying in 1958 at Heidelberg, Victoria, age 77, father Henry John and mother Eleanor Fran Roberts.

Merry
08-07-11, 13:08
I've just found a couple of baps on Ancestry:

Both St Andrew, Lambeth, both 3rd Jan 1875. George Henry Wall and Harry Garnett Wall. Mother is down as Ellen Fanny, which might help with her birth if she had two names then as well. Addy 40 Ashburton Road, Holloway. Dad, Maker of Wax

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:15
Okay, there is this family arriving 22 Jan 1887 in Victoria, from Plymouth, on the ship Chimborazo. (On the Victoria passenger lists on ancestry).

John Hy Wall 37
Ellen Wall 35
Geo Hy Wall 14
Henry G Wall 12
Robe Wall 8 (presumably should be Rose)
Percy Wall 5
Gracie Wall 4
Willie Wall 1

There doesn't seem to be an image on ancestry, just an index.

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:22
Death registration for Elma Rose Wall 1958 at Ferntree Gully, Victoria, age 79, father Henry John, mother Ellen Francl Roberts (according to ancestry).

And death of William Arthur Wall 1956 Belg, Victoria, age 72, father Henry John, mother Frances Ellen Robert. Presumably this is Willie.

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:25
Then there are two births - Albt Vernon Wall born 1889 Williamstown, Victoria, father Jno Hy Wall, mother Ellen Roberts, and Nellie Louise Wall born 1890 also Williamstown, father Jro Hy Wall, mother Ellen Roberts.

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:29
There are quite a few Australian e roll entries which I haven't got time to go through now, but the first one is 1903 Kooyong, Yarra Ward, Victoria:
17 Isabella Gr, Hawthorn
Wall Ellen, home duties
Wall John Henry manufacturer
Wall Robert Percy, carpenter
Wall Rose, home duties

Phoenix
08-07-11, 13:31
Thank you, guys! That is brilliant. it is nice to know that at least some of the family stories were true!

kiterunner
08-07-11, 13:37
I think you would need to search the Australian historical newspapers site for anything about him playing cricket, but since we don't know what name he would be listed under (John Henry Wall, Henry John Wall, just John Wall, just Henry Wall, J H Wall, H J Wall, just Wall....!) I'll leave that to you.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Phoenix
08-07-11, 13:44
Lol! I sometimes think there ought to be a law against anyone using their names in the wrong order!

Kangaroo
28-11-13, 22:49
Hi. If you need any information on the Wall family that arrived in Australia - John Henry Wall and Frances Eleanor nee Roberts I have it all. Harry Garnet Wall was my grandfather.

tenterfieldjulie
29-11-13, 06:43
Woowoo Phoenix - You have struck gold with a living rellie in Aus..
Congrats to you too Kangaroo .. you have an amazingly clever experienced researcher in Phoenix. Well done to you both .. Cheers Julie