PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a link?

Asa
05-07-11, 13:10
I've not yet been able to find a baptism for my ancestor Alexander Strachan (c1801-1870) who says he was born in the City of London on census. He was an optical glass grinder/ optician and there is a family of Strachans (and many variations/ recordings down to Strong) parented by John (same trade) and Margaret and baptised in city churches at Aldgate and Cripplegate, who are again of the same trade. Alexander uses several family names for his children plus there is a convenient six year gap between 1798 and 1804 where he would sit nicely.

I've only just noticed for some reason that the witnesses at Alexander's daughter Margaret's wedding in 1852 at St Pancras were a William and Elizabeth Strachan. These are not of Margaret's immediately family and the couple are on the 1851 in Pancras before moving up to Yorkshire by the next census. William is also an optician and son of John, who is in turn son of John and Margaret. It seems quite possible that Alexander is a son of John and Margaret and that William the witness is his nephew.

Margaret Strachan senior died in 1844 in Cripplegate, so I think I'm going to order the certificate just on the vague hope that Alexander registered the death - does it sound as if I'm on the right lines though?

kiterunner
05-07-11, 13:20
Sounds hopeful.

Asa
05-07-11, 14:28
Thank you. I really should work out which city churches aren't on ancestry or family search I suppose