PDA

View Full Version : Cause of death - Burning

Margaret in Burton
01-07-11, 13:34
I have received the death cert this morning for OH's 5 x great grandmother. It says:
2nd May 1843 at the Parish of Draycott in the Moors - Elizabeth Perry a widow aged 80. Cause of death - Burning. The informant is John Cattlow, the Coroner for Cheadle, Staffordshire.

I am hoping for a newspaper report. Does anyone know which paper would cover the Cheadle / Draycott in the Moors area for 1843 and is anything online?

I am useless at searching online newspapers.

maggie_4_7
01-07-11, 13:38
Well I'll have a go Marg but I expect Merry and Kiterunner to get there before me.

I'm a bit gauche with them too but here goes.

kiterunner
01-07-11, 13:40
I can't see any Staffordshire papers on the 19th Century British Newspapers search, and I can't find anything about her on there.

kiterunner
01-07-11, 13:43
According to GENUKI,

•The major county newspaper for Staffordshire was the weekly Staffordshire Advertiser. The William Salt Library holds a complete run of the newspaper from 1795-1973.

William Salt Library (http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/williamsalt/home.aspx)

maggie_4_7
01-07-11, 13:48
oh well there you go.

Margaret in Burton
01-07-11, 15:09
According to GENUKI,

•The major county newspaper for Staffordshire was the weekly Staffordshire Advertiser. The William Salt Library holds a complete run of the newspaper from 1795-1973.

William Salt Library (http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/williamsalt/home.aspx)

I thought it might mean a trip to Stafford. grrrr :mad::mad:

I'll try emailing them. Thanks Kate

Margaret in Burton
01-07-11, 15:10
Thanks for trying Maggie

Nell
01-07-11, 16:31
Do let us know when you find out. Perhaps she was one of the many victims whose dresses accidentally caught light, either from being too close to the fireplace or a candle.

Margaret in Burton
01-07-11, 16:46
Do let us know when you find out. Perhaps she was one of the many victims whose dresses accidentally caught light, either from being too close to the fireplace or a candle.

Will do Nell. Yes you could be right.

Langley Vale Sue
01-07-11, 19:30
My friend's G grandmother died from burning. According to family legend she had an epileptic fit and fell in the fire although it doesn't mention that on her death certificate. What a horrible way to die.

Margaret in Burton
01-07-11, 19:48
My friend's G grandmother died from burning. According to family legend she had an epileptic fit and fell in the fire although it doesn't mention that on her death certificate. What a horrible way to die.

It just says "Burning" Sue, nothing else.

It was quite a shock when it arrived this morning.

Nell
01-07-11, 22:53
(((Marg)))

Yes death certs often have nasty surprises.

Phoenix
04-07-11, 10:13
Have to say, Marg, that you may be disappointed. Provincial newspapers at that period tended to be packed with uk & foreign news with only a tiny section given over to the more sensational local stuff. Think modern tv news, with that tiny bit at the end for your region.

Margaret in Burton
04-07-11, 10:24
Have to say, Marg, that you may be disappointed. Provincial newspapers at that period tended to be packed with uk & foreign news with only a tiny section given over to the more sensational local stuff. Think modern tv news, with that tiny bit at the end for your region.

Yes I've come across that sort of thing before.

I emailed the William Salt Library, I've not had a reply as yet.

maggie_4_7
04-07-11, 10:31
I expect you've seen this site but it's transcriptions of headstones in Draycott.

http://wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/STS/DraycottintheMoors/MIs.html

There's a few Perrys there.

Margaret in Burton
04-07-11, 11:42
No I hadn't seen that before, thank you Maggie

Margaret in Burton
05-07-11, 11:56
Had a reply from the William Salt library:

Thank you for the recent email concerning local newspapers.
The only newspaper that the Library holds that may have included a report of this incident is the Staffordshire Advertiser. This newspaper covered the whole of Staffordshire so sometimes inquest reports, unless it was a major incident, did not always feature. I have looked at the issue immediately following the date of death but have been unable to see a report of the incident in question.
Should you wish to have a further search carried out through subsequent issues of this newspaper I would recommend that you employ the services of the Staffordshire Records Research Service to carry out any research on your behalf. This service is run from the nearby Staffordshire Record Office and further details along with the cost can be found on the Library's website under Remote Services.
I am sorry that I am unable to help with your enquiry

According to the death cert there wasn't an inquest so it looks as though Phoenix is probably right and it wasn't reported.
Dead end there I reckon.

Merry
05-07-11, 12:04
Maybe you should check her burial entry, as vicars sometimes recorded unusual or accidental deaths.

Margaret in Burton
05-07-11, 14:30
Maybe you should check her burial entry, as vicars sometimes recorded unusual or accidental deaths.

Still means getting to Stafford and that the impossible part of it. Last time we went to Stafford RO it wasn't all all disabled friendly.

brenmac
09-07-11, 13:18
the paper could be the news letter which is published every thursday.brenda.

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 14:34
the paper could be the news letter which is published every thursday.brenda.

Stafford charge £22 an hour for something that may not exist. I think I'll give it a miss unless I happen to be near there sometime which isn't likely.

Stella
09-07-11, 14:56
Oh that's a shame Marg. I suppose it's a long way from where you are.

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 15:09
Oh that's a shame Marg. I suppose it's a long way from where you are.

It's about 35 miles Stella but it's not just that. The disabled facilities and parking are abysmal.

Stella
09-07-11, 15:11
Yes of course Marg, you need the disabled facilities. Such a shame you can't go there though, would love to read more about it.

borobabs
09-07-11, 15:55
The charges are steep arnt they I wrote to one and that was £25 hour ;;shame no one could look it up for you , I dont know anyone from that area ;;

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 16:00
The charges are steep arnt they I wrote to one and that was £25 hour ;;shame no one could look it up for you , I dont know anyone from that area ;;

There might not be anything anyway Babs

borobabs
09-07-11, 16:01
Yes thats true thats the only thing about living away from places that you have research more so if like you say the disabled parking is rubbish

Stella
09-07-11, 17:08
It's the same with me Babs. Most of my ancestors come from Leeds in Yorkshire.

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 17:16
It's the same with me Babs. Most of my ancestors come from Leeds in Yorkshire.

Mine come from all over England. Only arrived in Burton in the 1880's or later mostly to work in the breweries or on the railway.

Stella
09-07-11, 17:33
Mine were mainly coal miners in Leeds or Ag Labs Marg. Some did go off to Australia though and I have tracked down living rellies there and been in contact.

brenmac
09-07-11, 17:36
i could go and look for you if you wanted,i live 6 miles away,brenda xxx

brenmac
09-07-11, 17:39
i come from leeds,mine were also coal miners,what names are you looking for.although the register office has moved from where it was when i lived there.brenda xxx

Stella
09-07-11, 17:52
i come from leeds,mine were also coal miners,what names are you looking for.although the register office has moved from where it was when i lived there.brenda xxx

Thanks Bren, but I have my Leeds rellies sorted thanks. I am now trying to sort out some of those who went to Canada. Thank you for offering though.:)

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 17:59
i could go and look for you if you wanted,i live 6 miles away,brenda xxx

That's nice of you Brenda. If you find anything would it be possible to get a photocopy? I would reimburse you.

brenmac
09-07-11, 18:11
Thanks Bren, but I have my Leeds rellies sorted thanks. I am now trying to sort out some of those who went to Canada. Thank you for offering though.:)
lol i have one,s that moved to canada im also in touch with 2 rellies in canada can they help?

brenmac
09-07-11, 18:12
That's nice of you Brenda. If you find anything would it be possible to get a photocopy? I would reimburse you.

do you want any paper cutting or news about the person your looking for?pm me any details and i will try for you brenda xxx

Stella
09-07-11, 18:15
lol i have one,s that moved to canada im also in touch with 2 rellies in canada can they help?

My rellies in Canada moved to New Brunswick, Canada and worked as stone-wall builders Bren. Their surnames were Clarkson and they came from Thorp Arch, near Leeds. I have managed to track down a couple of them though.

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 18:16
do you want any paper cutting or news about the person your looking for?pm me any details and i will try for you brenda xxx

The details are on the first posting Brenda. I don't have anymore other than that she was the widow of Richard Perry.

A photocopy of a newspaper article would be nice.

brenmac
09-07-11, 18:19
do you want me to pm my cousin see if he can find anything for you?
brenda xxx

brenmac
09-07-11, 18:20
The details are on the first posting Brenda. I don't have anymore other than that she was the widow of Richard Perry.

will try for you might be tuesday i will do my best brenda xxx

Stella
09-07-11, 18:23
do you want me to pm my cousin see if he can find anything for you?
brenda xxx

No that's OK Bren at the moment but if I do need any help will get in touch with you. Thank you for your kind offer though.:)

brenmac
09-07-11, 18:36
your welcome brenda xxx

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 18:46

ooops sorry, she was the widow of John Perry

Thanks for the offer

brenmac
09-07-11, 20:07
ok i will go tomorrow and see what i can find out....brenda xxx

borobabs
09-07-11, 20:14
Bren tomorrow Sunday will they be open ???

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 21:59

No they only open Monday to Friday and Saturday mornings and you do need a readers ticket and have to produce ID to get one.

borobabs
09-07-11, 22:09
I have only been to the Middlesbrough one and I didnt need anything for there archives ,,,just shows I would need to make sure I checked any website to somewhere I wanted to visit lol

Margaret in Burton
09-07-11, 22:12
I have only been to the Middlesbrough one and I didnt need anything for there archives ,,,just shows I would need to make sure I checked any website to somewhere I wanted to visit lol

I haven't been to Stafford RO for many years Babs but do remember they were very strict on this

borobabs
09-07-11, 22:39
I just had to sign in and do name and address but they didnt even want proof of who I was ;;just shows how dif ones go on then

brenmac
10-07-11, 07:25

lol i was thinking it was sunday all day yesterday didnt know why lol yes monday brenda xxxx

brenmac
10-07-11, 07:27
last time i went they were very helpful....i will do my best brenda xxx

brenmac
11-07-11, 16:01
they were closed mondays...so will go tomorrow afternoon i have emailed to ask for an appointment as it states they need to know in advance what im looking for.but i see you had a reply from them.i did go the records office and they told me to go the ws .brenda xxx

Margaret in Burton
11-07-11, 18:37
yes, thank you very much Brenda.

brenmac
12-07-11, 15:22
margaret,i went this morning was there a couple of hours i had to join lol.i scanned the stafford advertiser as they said that would be the paper if any.there was nothing in im sorry.if they had been i could have photographed it they said but had to be careful of copyrights.brenda xxx

Margaret in Burton
12-07-11, 15:25
margaret,i went this morning was there a couple of hours i had to join lol.i scanned the stafford advertiser as they said that would be the paper if any.there was nothing in im sorry.if they had been i could have photographed it they said but had to be careful of copyrights.brenda xxx

Thank you Brenda

Much appreciated

brenmac
12-07-11, 15:33
sorry i didnt get anything for you...brenda xxx

Margaret in Burton
12-07-11, 15:37
It can't be helped if nothing was reported though can it.