Agnes McEwan

Date and place of birth:
5th July 1889 Overton, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland

Names of parents:
William McEwan and Mary Ann Walker Wilson

Date and place of baptism:
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Marriage to Richard Geddes Young on 8th March 1912 at High Parish Church, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland

Byre Girl
Domestic Servant

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK):

14 Overton Rows, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1891 Census
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1891scotland&h=2505750&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t1310698_p-1472086270_kpidz0q3d-1472086270z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid

36 Overton Rows, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1901 Census
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1901scotland&h=3075260&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t1310698_p-1472086270_kpidz0q3d-1472086270z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid

Bellisle Farm, Galston, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1911 Census (Agnes was a Byre Girl there so she lived and worked there the farm is still there today). I think it's where she met my Scottish grandfather Richard Geddes Young he also worked there as a farm labourer he was 18 when he married Agnes and she was 22 years old. I believe it was a farm owned by Archibald Taylor and his wife Margaret.

132 London Road, Glasgow, Scotland usual address in 1968 until death I think the actual address has been demolished now in the regeneration of Glasgow.

Date, place and cause of death:
10th January 1968 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland cause of death Congestive Cardiac Failure informant Richard Geddes Young Agnes' oldest son.

Date and place of burial:
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not known

Memorial inscription - if any:
Not known

BigShaz McCreadie
15-09-11, 02:48
Hi Maggie, Just having a wee search around the site and seen this :) I wondered if you were aware of Hugh Twaddle & Son Plumbers..??

They were based at 130-132 London Road Glasgow.
A book was written called 'The plumber in Glasgow. The history of the firm of Hugh Twaddle & Son ... from 1848 to 1948'

I know this might not seem important but if you ever happen to come across this book it does contain photographs and illustrations so you could possibly get a glimpse of where your Grandmother lived :)

maggie_4_7
15-09-11, 19:43
I was not aware but you've got me wondering now if the number is correct her death cert says 132 but my half sister said she thought it was 123 London Road.

I'm thinking if it was a plumbers shop then she wouldn't live there I got the impression from my half sister, bearing in mind she only went there twice once when she was a baby and then when a young child, it was a tenement block that went in straight off the street through a doorway and doors off the corridor.

BigShaz McCreadie
16-09-11, 18:53
The plumbers shop could have been below.. there are still many of the old buildings along London road (although many are gone) and most are shops but at the side of each shop door is another door leading into the 'close' which is the entrance from the street.

Some will just have stairs inside that take you up to each landing which peoples 'front doors' are whilst others will have hallway and possibly a couple of doors leading to peoples homes but also with stairs and homes upstairs. The lower floor homes would only have had windows at the back.

My own Grandpa was raised in the High Street in Glasgow and this is the same, (still standing) it's a shop at ground level with an entrance to the close next to it which leads to the homes above it :)

maggie_4_7
16-09-11, 19:07
oh that sounds about how my half sister described it.

BigShaz McCreadie
16-09-11, 19:22
I think 123 London Road would have been pretty much the same too Maggie but if you take a look at the Mitchell Library Site you can view images :) Do a street search and then you can see what the buildings looked like along London Road. There doesn't appear to be an image for 132 but there is an image for a shop with the address 117-121 and you can see what I mean. :)

Sorry I know this post is supposed to be close but I thought I'd have a wee search around the site to see if I could offer anything to anyone... it's what I call 'Avoidance of revision for up and coming exam' tactics :)

maggie_4_7
21-09-11, 19:40
Like this where there is an alley/corridor?

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/image.php?i=12253&r=2&t=4&x=1

So that goes through and you get to the tenements through there?

borobabs
21-09-11, 23:26
I would think so Maggie there was some like that at North Ormesby where my aunt and uncle lived above a shop below, but it had like back yard door on the front of there's ;;

BigShaz McCreadie
23-09-11, 18:50
Like this where there is an alley/corridor?

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/image.php?i=12253&r=2&t=4&x=1

So that goes through and you get to the tenements through there?

Yes that's it :) and like Bab's mentioned some had back doors too :)
Some went up a couple of steps to enter too.
This looks like an Alleyway but it's probably just a 'close' some of my family actually still live in tenements and they all have doors on the close now and aren't just open.

Even the one My Great Grandfather was raised in along the High Street has a door now where as it wouldn't have done back in the day :)

maggie_4_7
25-09-11, 11:07
I love the Mitchell Library site. I am always surfing through it and looking at the photos to see what Glasgow was like when my father and his parents and siblings were there.

I fascinates me I wish we had something like that for London.