PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking Joseph Bodycote in again...

Anstey Nomad
30-06-11, 20:26
I have now assembled everything I know about this man and it ain't a fat lot.I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give to chip away at this brick wall.

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Joseph Bodycote

Date and place of birth
c 1795 Leicester St Leonard (stated to be 19 years old in October 1813 on his enlistment papers)

Names of parents
Not known – possibly Joseph Bodycote and Elizabeth Noon according to another researcher

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Not known – won’t be Leicester St Leonard as although the parish was still extant at this time, there was no church until 1876, the previous church having become derelict in the 17th century

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
To Elizabeth Beckwith (spinster) 1 May 1820 St John’s Cathedral, Calcutta – Joseph was described as a Private in H M 17th Regiment of Foot. No other details provided. Witnesses James and Susannah Palmer
Children: Charles born Berhampore Bengal 1821 (my 3 x great grandfather)
Amelia born Bengal 1822 (probably died in India)
Possibly more children before and after he returned to the UK and was discharged from the army in October 1824. It is physically impossible for Joseph to be father to Robert and Henry Bodycote allegedly born in St Lucia/West Indies, plus according to his army record Joseph never went to the West Indies.

Occupation(s) - if any
Labourer (1813) – Soldier n(1813-1824)- FWK (post 1824)

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him:

1827 Birth of daughter Amelia in Sutton in Ashfield suggests an address in that area
1829 May - The Leicester Chronicle states that he was sentenced at Leicester to three months hard labour for repeatedly making his wife and family chargeable to the parish of St Leonard. The article also states that he was cohabiting with another woman by whom he already had one child and another on the way. No Court, settlement or Poor Law records survive and no names are given in the article apart from Joseph’s.

1841 Census
Eaton Street Leicester
Joseph Bodycote 35 FWK
Joseph Bodycote 10 FWK (is this Joseph Noon Bodycote?)
Mary Bodycote 20 FWK
Emily 12 FWK (We think this is Amelia b Mansfield 1827 d Nottingham 1901)
Ann Bodycote 1 mo (Who is her mother?)
Ann Simpson 40 FWK (Is this his fancy woman?)
Charlotte Noon 25 FWK

1851 Census
67 Denman Street Leicester
Joseph Bodycote 54 FWK Leicester St Leonard
Emilia Chapman 24 (Amelia again) FWK Mansfield
William Chapman 26 FWK Leicester St Margaret
Sharlet (sic) Noon 40 Niece FWK Leicester St Margaret
Joseph Noon 21 Nephew FWK Newtown Linford
John Sibson 46 Visitor Leicester St Margaret
Richard Sibson 22 Visitor Leicester St Margaret
Lucy Sibson 16 Visitor Mansfield

It is believed that the Noons and the Sibsons are relatives, but we do not really know how.

Date, place and cause of death
Not known – possibly 1858 Nottingham. A relative who sent for the certificate said this wasn’t him, but her research is not always reliable.

Date and place of burial / cremation.
Not known
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Not found
Memorial inscription - if any
Not found

Thanks in anticipation

AN

Mary from Italy
30-06-11, 21:32
I've had a quick look at the Leicester city marriages pre-1800, and there isn't a Noon-Bodicote, Sibson-Bodicote or Noon-Sibson marriage.

HarrysMum
01-07-11, 00:37
AN.......there are a few hits on Google...........FTF, GR and Rootschat and Yasni.

I suppose they are all your posts??????

Anstey Nomad
01-07-11, 07:04
Hi Libby - if those hits aren't me they are other researchers on the same line, who are also getting nowhere.

Mary - if there is no Noon-Bodycote marriage at St Margaret's or All Saints then that is another piece of unreliable research that has been passed on to me as gospel!

AN

garstonite
01-07-11, 07:42
Record Pilot has
Joseph Bodicote born 21st April 1799
babtised 23rd April 1799 at St Leonards,Leicester
parents Edward Bodicote and Elizabeth
an extracted record

so how could it be St Leonards if you say it was derelict ??...it would seem it was being used ...is 1799 too late ?
allan

garstonite
01-07-11, 07:46
2 records but only submitted
Edward Bodicote to Elizabeth Noon on 21st October 1788 at St Margarets ,Leicester
allan
HANG ON ...lol Edward Bodicote christened 24th December 1765 St Leonards ,Leicester....married Elizabeth TILLSON ......possibly 2 Edward Bodicote ???
that`s the trouble with submitted records
allan

kiterunner
01-07-11, 07:47
Sometimes if a parish church was unusable, the actual baptisms etc for that parish would be performed at another church but still entered in the register for the parish they belonged to.

garstonite
01-07-11, 08:02
IF it is your Joseph Bodicote born 1799...here are his siblings...all babtised at St Leonards and parents Edward and Elizabeth
Elizabeth Bodicote b 28th July - babt 1st Aug 1795
Rebecca Bodicote b 12th April 1805 - bab 17th April 1805
Elizabeth Bodicote b 9th december 1802 - babt 18th december 1802
Charles Bodicote b 31st January 1809 - babt 7th February 1809
Sarah Bodicote b 24th december 1788 - babt 30th december 1788 at ST MARGARETS
John Bodicote b 3rd february 1784 - babt 17th february1784 at ST MARGARETS
Samuel Bodicote b 5th oct 1793 -babt 7th oct 1793
So...a birth in 1784 ....so the 1788 marriage is probably wrong...unless Edward Bodicote and Elizabeth had a baby 4 years before they married ???...or...do we have 2 Edward Bodicote with Elizabeth as a wife ?
allan

garstonite
01-07-11, 08:03
Sometimes if a parish church was unusable, the actual baptisms etc for that parish would be performed at another church but still entered in the register for the parish they belonged to.

Thanks Kate ...I never knew that...cheers...allan:)

Mary from Italy
01-07-11, 09:34
Mary - if there is no Noon-Bodycote marriage at St Margaret's or All Saints then that is another piece of unreliable research that has been passed on to me as gospel!

Well, I checked the marriages on a disc that includes all the Leicester city churches for 1754-1800, and didn't see anything.

However, I've viewed the St. Margaret's registers on microfilm in the past, and they're dreadful - extremely hard to read, out of order and partly illegible, so it's possible that your contact has found something that the transcribers didn't. Alternatively, if they just found a birth or baptism with parents Noon and Bodicote, it may be that the marriage took place in Leicestershire county or elsewhere. Noon is certainly a common Leicestershire name.

Let me know if you want me to e-mail you the list of Bodicote and similar marriages.

Mary from Italy
01-07-11, 09:45
2 records but only submitted
Edward Bodicote to Elizabeth Noon on 21st October 1788 at St Margarets ,Leicester
allan
HANG ON ...lol Edward Bodicote christened 24th December 1765 St Leonards ,Leicester....married Elizabeth TILLSON ......possibly 2 Edward Bodicote ???

Just seen Allan's message, so I've checked the disc again.

The Edward Bodicote-Elizabeth Tillson marriage is there, but there's no other marriage for an Edward Bodicote, and no marriage for an Elizabeth Noon(e) to a Bodicote or similar, or any marriage for an Elizabeth Noon(e) in 1788. The Edward Bodicote-Elizabeth Tillson marriage took place at St. Margarets, by banns, on 21 October 1788 - the date when the Bodicote-Noon marriage is supposed to have taken place. Perhaps Elizabeth Tillson was formerly Noon?

The disc includes St. Margaret's, St. Martin's, St. Mary's, St. Nicholas and All Saints, plus Quaker marriages. St. Leonard's was closed for the whole period covered by the disc, and marriages from that parish took place at All Saints.

WendyPusey
01-07-11, 09:57
Date, place and cause of death
Not known – possibly 1858 Nottingham. A relative who sent for the certificate said this wasn’t him, but her research is not always reliable.

I have a burial which could be for this one - child aged 3. buried 30th April 1858 at St Mary Nottingham

Mary from Italy
01-07-11, 10:01
On 27th December 1763, Elizabeth Noone married Joseph Tillson at All Saints, by banns.

Anstey Nomad
02-07-11, 10:57
Welcome all to the wonderful world of the Bodycotes and thanks to all who have responded (so far). I guess it might be a while before you read this as you’re probably all lying down in darkened rooms at the moment.

So, to add to my summary of this annoying man’s life we have:

1.A Joseph Bodycote born and baptised in April 1799, recorded as Leicester St Leonard’s even though the baptism would have physically taken place in another church in an adjoining parish. My Joseph signed up for the army in October 1813 and his record states that he was 19 years old. This one would only have been 14 at the time. Could a 14 year old pass for 19? That might be a problem even now.

2.Allan begins to realise that although Bodycote in its various forms may not be common in his part of the world, it is in Leicester St Leonard’s/St Margaret’s! I should say there are at least two Edward Bodicotes…and possibly more! This leaves us with a list of children who may be siblings of a Joseph who may be mine, but on the face of it is currently looking a bit young.

3. Mary looks at the disk again and unearths the Bodicote/Tilson marriage, which again may, or may not, be relevant and then, by the sound of it goes back and looks again. So now we have Elizabeth Noone marrying Joseph Tillson at All Saints in 1763 and a presumption that she then, 25 years later in 1788, marries Edward Bodicote. I don’t want to decry anything that anyone’s found, but - if Elizabeth was of marriageable age in 1763, wouldn’t she be going some to produce all those children that Alan found past the turn of the century?

4.Looks like the Nottingham death is a red herring then.

5. Mary – if you could send me that list - it might help.

To those of you already in the darkened room – move over, I’m coming in!

AN

tenterfieldjulie
02-07-11, 11:29
Is it a case of the Body Snatchers??? ..................... heads for the darkened room ... oh no there might be bodies ...... teeeeeeeeth chattering - sleeps with the light on ......

Anstey Nomad
02-07-11, 11:38
lol Julie

Now you're getting the hang of it.

AN

Mary from Italy
02-07-11, 11:44
So now we have Elizabeth Noone marrying Joseph Tillson at All Saints in 1763 and a presumption that she then, 25 years later in 1788, marries Edward Bodicote. I don’t want to decry anything that anyone’s found, but - if Elizabeth was of marriageable age in 1763, wouldn’t she be going some to produce all those children that Alan found past the turn of the century?

Yes, it seems a bit unlikely that the two Elizabeths are the same person, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Mary – if you could send me that list - it might help.

Will do.

KimCass
14-11-11, 21:07
Hi everyone, I am a direct decendant of Henry Bodicot (born West Indies) along with a couple of relatives we are also on the hunt for this mob!!

I wonder what the Bodicots would think if they could see us all, from all over the world trying to figure out who belongs to who!!

Anyway we are of the belief that Henry (1823 West Indies) and Robert (1921 West Indies) are NOT the children of Joesph. According to his service record he never went to the West Indies and there is no record of Henry and Robert in India.

So...we have no idea where Henry and Robert have come from, we cant find any record of them being born but they do show up in the UK Census from about 1851 Leicester St Margaret, Leicestershire, England. Henry married Eliza Simpson in 1842. Apart from that....

Why did Robert put his father down as Edward? Why did Henry leave out the name of a father on his marriage certificate??

I did find one Henry Van Bodicoate married to Anna Gossip in 1800 and died 1 sep 1825. Who are these guys??? Are they another spelling or...just another family.

We should make this into a movie....The Hunt for the Bodicots!

tenterfieldjulie
15-11-11, 05:07
Welcome Kim .... You are Brave .... a Bodycot Buff lol
YOOHOO AN ........ You Have Family Calling !!!!!
A Case of Where Did those Bodies Come From??

Merry
15-11-11, 06:53
Welcome to GF, Kim :)

Why did Robert put his father down as Edward? Why did Henry leave out the name of a father on his marriage certificate??

I seem to have missed reading any Bodicote threads before :rolleyes:, so apologies if I'm asking an old question!

If Robert and Henry were both from the West Indies is that just an error in 1851 where Robert is listed as born in India?

Where does Charles, b East Indies fit in?

Anstey Nomad
17-11-11, 20:12
*waves to Kim*

Robert mentioned you to me, but I hadn't expected to find you consorting with this lot!

God knows Merry.

There are other threads on here about this family, but of course there are as many spellings as there are bearers of the name.

My Joseph was born about 1794 (best guess) in Leicester. He was my 4 x great grandfather. He joined the Tigers and went to India. In 1820 he married Elizabeth Beckwith at Calcutta Cathedral. I have a copy of the marriage entry. It's beautifully written, but does not tell us who the parents of either party were. My 3 x great grandfather Charles was born the following year in Berhampore Bengal. There was a daughter Amelia born 1822ish who we think subsequently died. This is because Joseph had another daughter called Amelia in Mansfield later in the decade, but her mother might have been his fancy woman, who might also have been called Elizabeth.

The received wisdom is that Charles, Robert and Henry were brothers, but this is a physical impossiblity even if it were not for the fact that Robert says his father was Edward ( marriage entry) and Henry just growed. He apparently doesn't have a father at all!

Kim, I think Joseph would probably think he had done a jolly good job in covering his tracks. Certainly a better one that he did in 1829 when he was caught dumping his wife and children on the parish (again) and sentenced to three months!

All I want is to find out whether the story that Elizabeth Beckwith had Indian blood is true and prove I am related to this generation's Robert, who by the sound of it is already related to Kim.

Pass the ice pack - here we go again!

AN

Margaret in Burton
17-11-11, 21:14
Another slight connection between us AN

My 3 x great grandfather was in the Leicestershire Tigers but was discharged at Ghazipur, India in 1819 so probably missed your lot. His name was Thomas Newey.

Anstey Nomad
18-11-11, 18:22
You've told me about this one before Marg. I'll get you one day, one way or another.

AN

Anstey Nomad
19-11-11, 08:58
PS Kim I have sent you a FB friend request.

AN

tenterfieldjulie
20-11-11, 09:07
Question .. How did the Bodies get into the Cote?

Anstey Nomad
20-11-11, 17:47
Be careful Julie - I believe that in their quest for world domination, whilst of course revealing nothing about their origins, they have now got as far as Toowoomba.

In your shoes I would think that might be too close for comfort!

AN

tenterfieldjulie
20-11-11, 21:50
Nooooooo - that's just over the border ... well a couple of hours away lol .....not far in this neck of the woods ..
I spent a couple of years incaseration at boarding school in Toowoomba (it also went under the name of Ladies college - think I was allowed in because my older sister fits the bill) .. many moons ago .. I might have known them!!

Anstey Nomad
21-11-11, 18:32
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

AN