PDA

View Full Version : London Wills and Probate - ancestry

kiterunner
30-06-11, 09:09
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1704

It includes images of the actual wills, and it also includes Admons (= administrations). Happy hunting! And tell us about your finds!

kiterunner
30-06-11, 09:19
Inevitably, the transcribers have got confused by names such as "William Streadick Carpenter of..." and indexed his name as William Carpenter when Carpenter is just his occupation!

Phoenix
30-06-11, 11:27
Does it say which courts anywhere? There are clearly several missing as wills I've seen at LMA are not there. (London had oodles of different courts)

kiterunner
30-06-11, 12:13
I can't see anything saying which courts, but it does say:

This database contains wills dating from 1523 to 1857 held by the London Metropolitan Archives. These are original wills only and do not include wills or administrations found in will registers or act books which are accessible on site at the London Metropolitan Archives. These do not include wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.

I'm not sure whether that bit about "accessible on site" means that it doesn't include the wills that are on the London Signatures site yet:
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/wills/

Phoenix
30-06-11, 12:42
I really don't know what they mean. I assume the second sentence means courts whose original records are not held by LMA.

It actually looks as if a fair chunk are wills for rural Surrey.

Jill
30-06-11, 14:55
Bingo!

A brickwall has fallen...I knew my 4x great grandfather John Crisp married and had 5 children in St Clement Danes parish but knew nothing of his parentage, now I've found him being granted adminstration of his mother's estate - her name was Elizabeth, she was a widow of St Andrews. Holborn and died in Aug 1798!

Asa
30-06-11, 15:41
Wonderful! Have found the will of my ancestor Benjamin Connell - I didn't know it existed and never found it at the LMA. Good job some of the transcriptions are dodgy or it would be too easy :-)

Langley Vale Sue
30-06-11, 18:18
Yesssssssss!:) I've found my 6x G grandfather's will :)

Thanks Phoenix for saying that a fair chunk are from rural Surrey. I never thought Send and Ripley in Surrey would be on there so I wouldn't have bothered to look if you hadn't said.

Thanks also Kite for telling us about the actual transcriptions of the wills being online. :)

I'm a very happy bunny tonight - just got to decipher it all now ;)

Lindsay
30-06-11, 19:11
** sigh **

None of mine appear. I think I'm going to have to accept they didn't have anything worth leaving :d

Jill
30-06-11, 21:00
Bingo!

A brickwall has fallen...I knew my 4x great grandfather John Crisp married and had 5 children in St Clement Danes parish but knew nothing of his parentage, now I've found him being granted adminstration of his mother's estate - her name was Elizabeth, she was a widow of St Andrews. Holborn and died in Aug 1798!

Back to the drawing board, not mine after all, he was a brassfounder and another record has him brassfounding when my John was 5.

kiterunner
30-06-11, 23:48
Ooh, found the Admon of my 4xg-grandmother's estate - I had an index entry already but it's great to see the actual document. She left £1,000, quite a decent sum in 1842. I haven't had much time to look at the wills today with the kids all being off school, but hopefully tomorrow I can get on with it!